What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Night Stone
This topic is about Night Stone
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Thriller/Horror, 1980's, Old fashioned Dolls and a rock quarry. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Waggoner | 15 comments This is going to be pretty vague, unfortunately. I apologize for that, it's been decades since I last saw this book and I don't remember much. I'm not even 100% sure I ever read the whole thing.

I saw/read this book at someone else's house, I think my sister's (she's 13 years older, so I was still pretty young, even though she had her own apartment). I want to say it was mid-late 80's or maybe even the early 90's, but mid-late 80's feels more right. I can't say whether it was new then or not, so it could be older. This dates me, but if I read it on the trip I think I did, my other sister got a Max Headroom shirt then.

I honestly don't remember what the story was actually about. I think it was either thriller or horror. Definitely fiction and an adult book, not kids or YA.

There were dolls involved, and I believe there was one on the cover. I want to say one of those old-fashioned types with a porcelain face. Not a baby doll, but a little girl. Now the cover, it was a little unique. It had either one of those lenticular images or maybe holographic, where the image shifted a bit when you moved the book. I don't remember what that image was exactly. I want to say it was the doll's face, and that it shifted to something skeletal, but I might be misremembering or getting books mixed up. I'd sit there and shift it back and forth - it was a novelty thing at the time. I know it was definitely paperback. I kinda think the cover was also one of those with a cut-out, you know? Where when you opened it, there was another image behind the front cover. But again, I might be mixing books up.

The only other thing I remember is that there was something about a rock quarry. I remember that detail because I didn't know what that was at the time.

I wish I could remember how the dolls played into the story. I don't *think* they were animated or anything, I think just plain dolls, but they were still quite creepy somehow.

I don't believe it was a series, and I think it was one of those cheap mass-market paperbacks, not anything popular.

I know it's not much to go on. I wish I had more. I really don't have high hopes of finding it. It's just one of those books that I wonder about every once in a while and it just eats at me that I don't know what it was. It's such a vague memory that I'm not even sure I'd recognize it if I saw it.

Thanks!

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1511 comments Possibly Night Stone? It has a holographic cover with a doll. I haven't read it, so I can't say for sure.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Waggoner | 15 comments The rockabilly werewolf from Mars wrote: "Possibly Night Stone? It has a holographic cover with a doll. I haven't read it, so I can't say for sure."

That's a very, very good possibility! I just downloaded the kindle version and searched it for the word 'quarry.' It appears in the book several times. I can't imagine quarries are all that common in horror books. Someone in the reviews on Amazon mentioned that it involved ancient burial grounds and that also seems kind of familiar. The more I look at it, the more I think that's probably it.

I've also ordered a used copy from Amazon, just to have the cool cover. The cover for the Kindle version is completely different. I think seeing the cover in person would help me decide for sure if that's the one. It'll be a week or two before it gets here, but I'll let you know! I can't believe you found it so fast! Thank you!!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Waggoner | 15 comments This can be marked as solved! (Unless I'm supposed to do that? I'm not seeing how though, so I'm assuming it's an admin thing? My apologies, I'm not in here much.)

I haven't had a chance to read this book yet (library books are taking precedence atm, you know how it is), but I did get it ordered, and that's totally the cover I remember. So cool, seeing it again in person!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Laura. Is it Night Stone by Rick Hautala?

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Waggoner | 15 comments Kris wrote: "Glad you found your book, Laura. Is it Night Stone by Rick Hautala?"

I'm so sorry, I wasn't very clear at all. Yes, it's Night Stone! Thanks so much!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Great. Thanks for the update, Laura.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Night Stone (other topics)
Night Stone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rick Hautala (other topics)