Clean Reads discussion

Clean Romance > Tween daughters

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Pool | 4 comments I have 5 daughters and I am constantly looking for good clean books they can read! My oldest loves historical fictions with some romance, I would love some suggestions!

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean | 17 comments Jessica wrote: "I have 5 daughters and I am constantly looking for good clean books they can read! My oldest loves historical fictions with some romance, I would love some suggestions!"

Hello, Jessica!

I personally love good clean historical fiction, but I am more on the mystery side than romance. That said, I like the Irene Adler series by Carole Nelson Douglas, and the Jane Austen Mystery series by Stephanie Barron. There is a hint of romance, but it's mostly mystery. There is NO sex, very little swearing *(I remember mostly h- and d- in both series (and even then it is sparingly), and only 1 s-- in the Jane Austen series (in maybe book 8). The only thing is that if your daughters are tweens, it may be too advanced for them. These books are for adults, so they have big words, and are 300+ pages each (with no pictures). That said, I read Isaac Asimov novels at tween age and enjoyed it, so they might like these.

Jane Austen is of course Regency period, and Irene Adler is Victorian (She was a character in a Sherlock Holmes story)

The only tween romance book that I know of is Enthusiasm by Polly Sherman. It is modern day, but it is based on Jane Austen (in a way) and there is no sex, no kissing, etc, but I think they do say a-- once or twice.

Oh, the mysteries deal with murder (not all of them, but many). It isn't gory though (think Agatha Christie). I hope this helps!

Sean

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith Guernsey | 9 comments All three of my books are clean. Thanks for considering them,
http://tinyurl.com/y6ut57ms

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 95 comments Have they read any Shannon Hale books? They are excellent. Goose Girl , Book of a Thousand Days, the Princess Academy...

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 95 comments Anne of Green Gables series

message 6: by Sallyavena (new)

Sallyavena | 41 comments Here's a list I created for a friend who had a tween daughter at the time. She was just trying to get her reading, so it's a wide range of genres.
I tried to think of books that are tried and true with my kids and are the kinds of books that fall on must read lists. I'll also include a list with some more current published books/series that are worth while as well.

Really in no particular order:
-Anne of Green Gable series
-Little House on the Prairie series
-Melendy Quartet-by Elizabeth Enright (lesser known but such a good series)
-The Secret Garden and The Little Princess by FH Burnett
-Little Women
-Caddie Woodlawn
-The Island of the Blue Dolphins (one of my top 5 from when I was a tween)
-Pippi Longstocking
-The Witch of Blackbird Pond (or really anything by Elizabeth George Speare, but this one was my favorite)
-The Giver (a must read before they get into any of the other more popular dystopian books like Hunger Games I think)
-Narnia Series
-Anything by Roald Dahl
-Charlotte's Web or anything by EB White
-A Wrinkle in Time series
-Betsy Tacy series
-The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
-A Long Way from Chicago series by Richard Peck
-The Borrowers
-The Never Ending Story
-Where the Red Fern Grows
-My Side of the Mountain (another top 5 for me)
-The Cricket in Times Square
-All of A Kind Family series
-Mr Poppers Penguins
-Misty of Chincoteague
-Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
-Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary
-Wizard of Oz
-Number the Stars
-Hatchet
-The Sign of the Beaver
-Frindle
-The Wheel on the School
-Shoes series by Noel Streatfeild

More recent publications
Tuesdays at the Castle series--Jessica Day George
Ella Enchanted
Princess Academy series
Anything by Brandon Mull but Fablehaven is a good one to start with
Books of Bayern series by Shannon Hale
Mysterious Benedict Society
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The City of Ember series by Jeanne Duprau
Holes
Silver Bowl series by Diane Stanley
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library series
The Mother Daughter Book Club series
Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan (this might seem like a more 'boy type' book but my girls have loved and reread this series multiple times)

message 7: by Sallyavena (new)

Sallyavena | 41 comments And I will just reemphasize Shannon Hales Princess Academy series and Books of Bayern series as well as Jessica Day George's Princesses of Weshphalia series. Both of my daughters have loved all of those and they easily fall into the historical fiction/fairy tale retelling/romance genre.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 95 comments TONS of great choices there, lots of my favorites! I am 40 and still really enjoy these, they are timeless and ageless!

message 9: by Jody (new)

Jody Cleven | 16 comments Jessica wrote: "I have 5 daughters and I am constantly looking for good clean books they can read! My oldest loves historical fictions with some romance, I would love some suggestions!"

Jessica- I am an author committed to writing clean books for grades 4-8 (but audiences younger and through adult have loved my most recent book!). I believe your daughters would enjoy the story! A Ripple in Maggie Pond is available on Amazon. The reviews show that it is truly a clean book, and very well received! Here is the link to the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=maggie+pon...

Also, if you or your readers wish to reach out to me, my author's website is: https://jodycleven.com/ There are multiple ways to contact me, and the website includes my blog!

Enjoy A Ripple in Maggie Pond!
Jody

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Pool | 4 comments This is such a. Great list. My daughter has actually read almost everyone of these and loved them. I know there has to be more for her to read. Just gotta find the right fits.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 95 comments Have they read Christy by Catherine Marshall? I know I read it in high school, but I just re-read it and it does have some adult themes, nothing gratuitous, just some real life situations that are kind of raw. It's so good though.

message 12: by Rachel (last edited Jun 06, 2020 07:36AM) (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments Jessica wrote: "I have 5 daughters and I am constantly looking for good clean books they can read! My oldest loves historical fictions with some romance, I would love some suggestions!"

Jessica what are your daughters age ranges? That would help with suggestions. Historical Fiction is also my favorite genre. Some of my most beloved books in this category as a teen (and even currently at age 50) are Song of Years by Bess Streeter Aldrich, Freckles and Laddie: A True Blue Story by Gene Stratton Porter.

Some of my more recently discovered historical fictions are Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and an all-time favorite Moonraker's Bride by Madeline Brent.

Others (which aren't necessarily historical but set in older time periods with a little romance) are Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beastby Robin McKinley, A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce, The Ascendance series by Jennifer A. Neilson which starts with The False Prince, The Rosary by Florence Barclay (which is quite melodramatic but sweet and loveable.) My 16-year-old daughters have enjoyed all of Katherine Reay's books, my favorite of which is Dear Mr. Knightley.

If your oldest is able to appreciate the writings of Jane Austen yet, she might also enjoy reading Georgette Heyer's books (of which there are many, and all lots of fun.) One of my favorites is Frederica.

message 13: by June (new)

June Tistskovich | 19 comments Good Morning! Georgette Heyer is one of my favorites also! I started reading them when I was thirteen. I picked up one of the indies off Amazon. It was charming enough to make me smile as I was reading it. The Massa Conspiracy by Abigail James. Cute and clean and romantic! I loved it .

message 14: by MaryBliss (new)

MaryBliss | 59 comments Even better than Dear Mr. Knightly is the older novel that that book's plot was copied from.
Daddy-Long-Legs was published in 1912 and is still in print (and free on Kindle). A fun read.

message 15: by Linda (last edited Sep 26, 2020 01:39PM) (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 1 comments Jessica wrote: "I have 5 daughters and I am constantly looking for good clean books they can read! My oldest loves historical fictions with some romance, I would love some suggestions!"

I have a YA historical fantasy with some clean romance interest. The first one is On a Wing and a Dare. They feature flying horses in a medieval Welsh town. On a Wing and a Dare (Flying Horse Books, #1) by Linda Ulleseit

message 16: by Florence (new)

Florence Witt (florence-w) | 35 comments This is my list for my tweens boys. I have read all of them first.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...