Play Book Tag discussion

The Lager Queen of Minnesota
This topic is about The Lager Queen of Minnesota
May 2020: Comedy > [pb]The Lager Queen of Minnesota, by J Ryan Stradal, 4.5-5 stars stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 15, 2020 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4999 comments The Lager Queen of Minnesota I absolutely loved this book. It starts with a very homey feel, as we meet the humble Edith who is known as the “pie lady.” She cooks for a nursing home and a news article declared that her pies were the third best in Minnesota. Helen is not as likable as her sister, but I liked her story. She decides at a very young age that all she wants to do is make beer. The third key character is Edith's granddaughter Diana. They struggle to make ends meet, and when Diana is caught stealing, her life has to change. I don’t want to reveal too much about the story, because the discoveries are best made gradually. The three character's stories combine to create a very satisfying read. This book is tagged comedy, but it's gentle humor, and there is also some pain. Ultimately, the story made me want to exercise more empathy towards people, and to call my sister.

I was surprised that I really enjoyed learning about how beer is made, and about the trend in craft brewing. I never liked lager beer, but after a lot of taste testing, I've discovered that I like fruity IPAs. We're now buying less wine and little more beer.

Audio note – The narration by Judith Ivey is wonderful. She sounds just like Edith should sound (in my opinion). It reminded me of my favorite Fanny Flagg novels. She skillfully gave different characters their own voices, and accents. Just like in New York State, Minnesota has a range of accents in different areas. Each chapter is labeled by date and person. This can be confusing if you didn't catch the beginning of each chapter. I thought it was fine.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments Oh good to hear-I just added it as a friend is going to mail her copy to me!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4999 comments Joanne wrote: "Oh good to hear-I just added it as a friend is going to mail her copy to me!"

Lucky you! I've got my husband reading it now, and I can hear him laughing.

Holly R W | 1175 comments Nancy, I loved the book too. Not long after I read it, I bumped into someone who so strongly reminded me of Edith - it was uncanny. The author's characters were so very real!