Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
This topic is about Ninth House
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Ninth House / Overall Discussion / Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1768 comments Has anyone else started this one yet? Im just under half way through and struggling. Its not written badly or anything I'm just not getting into it I think.

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments Lel wrote: "Has anyone else started this one yet? Im just under half way through and struggling. Its not written badly or anything I'm just not getting into it I think."

I read it. It took me a little over 100 pages to really get into it, to be honest. I ended up really enjoying it towards the end, but it was definitely a struggle at the beginning.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 403 comments I felt exactly the same - too many comments about books in the library for me (I listened to audio)! But if you can get through the first half, the story definitely picks up after that.

message 4: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1768 comments Thanks guys, that’s what I wanted to know. X

message 5: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1768 comments Well I finished it this morning and was pleasantly surprised. Im still not sure how I feel about Alex, at some points I really liked her and others I found her a complete and utter annoyance.
I loved the houses and all their characteristics. I could see by the half way point that it was going to be a group effort on who was causing all the problems but I have to say I didnt see it coming that Sandow was part of it.

Shawnie | 1680 comments I listened to the audio. I loved the narrators. It took me over half the book to feel any kind of excitement to keep listening. I loved the last hour! That last hour will get me to read book 2 to see about that trip to hell to rescue Darlington. lol

If you listened to the audio, did you stick around for the author Q&A? It was so interesting! I wish I had listened to it first. I may have been more into the houses.

This also gets me motivated to go back to Bardugo's other series. I read Six of Crows and loved it. Don't know why I didn't keep going with it.

Hope | 46 comments I agree with what everyone else has already said: the first half was super slow. I would read for what seemed like forever, and when I checked to see how many pages I'd read, it was only 15-20! Once the reveals begin with Darlington realizing Alex (or, rather, Hallie through Alex) had killed the drug dealers right before he gets vanished, things picked up and I enjoyed it by the end.

I did find most of the world building and the parts about the houses kind of confusing, so that might have added to my "meh" feeling about the first half. That, and I never really felt anything for/from Alex. I did find Darlington interesting and I'd like to learn more about Dawes, though, so I'll probably read the next book!

message 8: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I read this one as an audio book and it was a bit longer than most audio books I would try, so the slow start didn't help. I did like Alex though and the general set up was very interesting. Book had a very strong finish