Top Shelf Society discussion

Emma
This topic is about Emma
Emma > Movies based on Emma! Which is your favorite?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited May 15, 2020 12:31PM) (new) - added it

Kristin | 63 comments Mod
Movies! Films! Cinematic arts! Whether you have read much Jane Austen or not, you probably heard of her through the movie adaptions that have been made off her books!

Below, I have listed three of the biggest movie adaptations of Emma.
- How many of these have you watched?
- Are any of these a favorite?
Let us know!

1. Emma (2020)
description

2. Clueless
description

3. Emma (Gwyneth Paltrow)
description

Angela (angelarosereads) (angelarosereads) | 4 comments Mod
100% the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma, she is all I can picture. The first one I haven't seen but she looks far too young and the second is too modern (although great) to feel like Jane Austen.

message 3: by Meggles (new)

Meggles | 3 comments Clueless is one of my favorite movies! As I'm reading through Emma for the first time, I can't help but think of the characters and their Clueless equivalents 😂

I knew that Clueless was a loose adaptation, but did not realize how much the screenwriter actually followed the novel's plot in the film.

Haven't seen the other two adaptations, but I'm excited to watch them after I finish the book.

Ysenia (itsmeyseniab) | 14 comments Mod
I am a Jane Austen newbie and have never seen any of the adaptations but I am going to watch Clueless the second I finish reading! 💕

Elise (readingelise) I've only seen Clueless and Emma Approved on YouTube. I really want to see the new Emma and kind of wish I was able to watch it before reading the book!

message 6: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (misscloudslittlelibrary) | 16 comments Cluess is also one of my favourite movies and I am making all the connections to the events and the characters - I was also pleasantly surprised at how much it follows the book! I actually rewatched it as soon as I joined the book club haha!

I tried watching the Gwyneth movie when I was younger, but even though the plot sounded great, the dialogue and character development was too slow for a mere 11 year old to quite get or enjoy haha. I'm thinking it might be time to try it again.
I'm so excited to see the new movie (I had plans to see it with a friend before Covid shut everything down!).. I'm just desperately trying to finish the book first!

Meggles wrote: "Clueless is one of my favorite movies! As I'm reading through Emma for the first time, I can't help but think of the characters and their Clueless equivalents 😂

I knew that Clueless was a loose a..."

message 7: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara (sarasreadingnook) | 100 comments Mod
CLUELESS

(no surprises!)