Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2020 > 30.1 Go for the Green!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5995 comments Let's turn some countries green! Read a book set at least 51% in any of the countries on the Group Project Spreadsheet that are not yet colored green. See the Help thread for (user friendly?) list. This task has a special 30 point bonus for books that are on the Countries Still to Go list (white on the spreadsheet).

This is not a first to post task - no changes will be made to the spreadsheet until after the season is over.

Please post questions/comments about task 30.1 in this thread.

message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 15, 2020 11:28AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments I had hoped we'd do this back before the world fell apart. We realize you might not be prepared with Owned Books for this task. It will be repeated often, so never fear!

Link to Spreadsheet

and a special thread for the countries should you need a different visual.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2355 comments So...the bonus countries are worth a total 60 points?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Ed wrote: "So...the bonus countries are worth a total 60 points?"

Yep!

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2355 comments ok.... back to the drawing board...LOL thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Please note, that countries posted between now and the end of the Spring season will not affect what you can use for Summer. Karen has posted a book for Sudan which turns that country green. It will be marked as such for another season, but you are free to read for it this summer should you have a book to do so.

message 7: by Kaja (new)

Kaja | 61 comments 30 points for a yellow country and 60p for a white, right?

message 8: by Kaja (new)

Kaja | 61 comments And does this task qualify for the Multiple style?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Yes to both of these!

message 10: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 242 comments I just wanted to share my excitement that I think I have a book for one of the countries still to go. Stamping Grounds looks like it’s set at least 51% in Liechtenstein. It’s about the Liechtenstein national football [soccer] team, and as I’m really missing watching football (sports are currently suspended in the UK) it seems like an ideal time to read it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments That IS exciting!

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2360 comments Bryony wrote: "I just wanted to share my excitement that I think I have a book for one of the countries still to go. Stamping Grounds looks like it’s set at least 51% in Liechtenstein. It’s about t..."

I saw that you have a book for Liechtenstein! That's exciting! I looked and looked, but didn't come up with anything. I guess not many Liechtenstein books make it to Canada (even on kindle!).

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments Congrats on Liechtenstein!
I found one for Mauritania just now The Desert and the Drum
I thought I had one, but it's set in Mauritius, Eve out of Her Ruins

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Congrats on Liechtenstein!
I thought I had one, but it's set in Mauritius, Eve out of Her Ruins"

Yay! And both of those are project-needed countries.

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2360 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Congrats on Liechtenstein!
I thought I had one, but it's set in Mauritius, Eve out of Her Ruins"

Good for you on finding those books! The Mauritius one does turn that country green, so a worthwhile find as well!

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments I'm looking forward to both books. I've been reading a lot of translated fiction recently.

message 17: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 242 comments Thanks everyone! Karen, your book for Mauritania looks fascinating. I was interested to see the GR description says it’s the first book from the country to be translated into English. It made me quite curious about how and why certain books are chosen to be translated for a wider audience and others are overlooked.

On another note, I have been meaning to read Season of Migration to the North for about five years now after it was recommended to me. It’s set in Sudan so would also work for this task. Perhaps I’ll finally get around to it!

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2360 comments Bryony wrote: "Thanks everyone! Karen, your book for Mauritania looks fascinating. I was interested to see the GR description says it’s the first book from the country to be translated into English. It made me qu..."

Oooo! That will turn Sudan green!! I hope you'll squeeze it in!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments It would be helpful if, when you post a country that is white, you would post the 30-point task score and then the 30-point bonus like you will for any applicable styles. Kate is undoubtedly fully capable of doing the mental gymnastics, but posting separately alerts her. The bonus is a style that applies to this task only.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Those of you who are still looking at the spreadsheet will notice a change. This task and it's 30-point bonus have not changed. All non-green countries are worth 30 points, and the white countries are worth the bonus.

But you all are ticking off the white countries. We anticipate working on Go for the Green in future seasons, so we have to devise some other way of identifying harder to get countries. With the proper incentive, we know you'll go after them! Those are now blue, though some will already be changing at end of season. Stay tuned, as they say.

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2360 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Those of you who are still looking at the spreadsheet will notice a change. This task and it's 30-point bonus have not changed. All non-green countries are worth 30 points, and the white countries ..."

That makes everything stand out nicely.

With a month into this season it looks like we will really be knocking this task out of the park! Exciting!

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary | 742 comments Is the 30 pt unread country points available for low lexile books?

Warriors in the Crossfire by Nancy Bo Flood has a lexile under 600 and is set in Northern Marianas. I understand that the multiple style is not available but wasn’t sure if the unread country bonus was considered to be a “style” or not

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Mary wrote: "Is the 30 pt unread country points available for low lexile books?

Warriors in the Crossfire by Nancy Bo Flood has a lexile under 600 and is set in Northern Mariana..."

The extra 30 points would be considered a style, so not eligible for low lexiles. I hope that won't keep you from posting, though.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary | 742 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Mary wrote: "Is the 30 pt unread country points available for low lexile books?

Warriors in the Crossfire by Nancy Bo Flood has a lexile under 600 and is set in Nor..."

Thanks, I wasn’t sure since it was on task but not the Styles list.
I appreciate the help!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Mary wrote: "I wasn’t sure since it was on task but not the Styles list."

Yes. It's new and applies only to this specific task, so we didn't list it together with the styles. We'll try to word it better next time - and there will definitely be a next time!