San Antonio Public Library discussion

Graphic Novels (fiction)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas CJ | 15 comments Mod
Lately graphic novels have really taken off as an art form, and there are tons of people doing really fascinating things in the genre. Graphic novels can be a confusing term sometimes and typically refers to a story told in comic strip format and published as a book. These are normally either stand alone works specifically made to be consumed in graphic novel form or a collection of comic books. What was the most recent graphic novel you read? What did you enjoy about it, what did you dislike about it? For this post we are specifically talking about fiction graphic novels.

message 2: by Beverly (last edited May 15, 2020 10:41PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 64 comments I recently read volumes 1 and 2 of Magus of the Library, Vol. 1, and am waiting for #3 to be processed by the library. I don't normally enjoy manga that much, but I did like these fantasy/library stories, set in a fantasy world.
I have not read very many graphic novels, but I have liked some written for kids and teens, specifically, those written by Raina Telgemeier, Victoria Jamieson, Shannon Hale, and Ben Hatke.
However, my husband adores manga and anime, and he talked me into watching Rising of the Shield Hero.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmoreno) I did happen upon an adult graphic novel that captured my interest a couple of years ago, it's called Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant by Roz Chast. I found it funny and intense because the author talks about her parents during their final years.
I didn't know much about juvenile graphic novels until my son became captured with reading them. He was having a hard time learning how to read and graphic novels helped him. They captured his interest! He loved Ben Hatke's novels and I did too, just like Beverly mentioned. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney, the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi and from there went into the YA fiction books. I read them along with him.

message 4: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 94 comments Mod
I read the first volume of the John Wick graphic novel recently; it's not bad. The art and styling is spot on for the movies and it's sometimes eerie how much the drawings look exactly like Keanu Reeves. The plot though...eh, it just wasn't that interesting. It was a prequel too, which always disappoints me in a series where the main character is something of a mystery. Let them be mysterious!

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
I have a TON of trade paperback collections of various superhero comics. One of my favorites is the 2006 version of Blue Beetle, starring Jaime Reyes, a teenager from El Paso who finds an alien scarab that gives him power armor. There's some elements of Spider-man in it, since you have a regular kid who gets gifted with amazing powers, but he has a great supporting cast and the writing is on point. I tried to keep up after the 2011 reboot, but I really did not like the changes, especially once they took it out of El Paso and tossed it to New York for no reason whatsoever.

I've also tracked down most of Gail Simone's run on Birds of Prey (if you say the recent Birds of Prey movie, some of that was based on Gail Simone's work), as well as the Stephanie Brown era of Batgirl. Despite having been a Marvel fan early, I don't really have much for them.

For other stuff? Saga is a really cool space opera setting, about two people on opposite sides of a war who fall in love (apparently over a shared appreciation of trash fiction), have a baby, and then spend a significant amount of time on the run. Northlanders by Brian Wood is several collections of short graphic stories set in the Viking Age. Sex Criminals is weird and kind of subserversive, while Bitch Planet is dystopian, a sort of futuristic Handmaid's Tale. Clean Room, by Gail Simone, is disturbing as hell.