The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

81 views
TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.1 - Mazza1's Task: “STAY HOME / STAY SAFE”

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 02:20PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
30.1 - Mazza1's Task: “STAY HOME / STAY SAFE”

I cannot believe I am setting a task based on a phrase that is driving me to distraction!.
• This is a one OR two book task.
• For TWO book option read one book from the choices for Book 1 and and one book from the choices for Book 2. For the one book option, use Option 2.

• There are NO children’s books allowed.
• If a task is based on a cover the cover must be included in the post
• If a task is based on a title this is the title only - ignore subtitles
• Series size is based on WHOLE book numbers, as noted on Goodreads.

OPTION 1
Book 1: This dreadful pandemic has made significant changes in our lives. For this option read a book that fits one of the following options based on what we are having do now to maintain social distance

A. Read a book with a SINGLE word title
B. Read a book with a SINGLE person on the cover – it does not need to be a full figure, as long as it can be seen as a single person
C. Read a book that is STAND ALONE i.e. NOT part of a series

AND

Book 2: This option is based on getting back to normal – however long that may take
A. Read a book with a title of 5 words or more
B. Read a book with at least 5 people on the cover
C. Read a book that is part of a series of at least 5 books

OR

OPTION 2 – ONE BOOK OPTION

1. Read a book that fits a task from the requirements for BOTH books 1 and 2 from Option 1.
2. Your book must be over 600 pages in length

some examples for one book option

A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3) by Sarah J. Maas (single person on cover and 6 word title)

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (five people on cover and NOT in a series)

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) (single word title in a series of 8)


message 2: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jun 01, 2020 05:07AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Option 1 book 1 approvals
Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia


message 3: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 16, 2020 02:33PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments option 1 book 2 Approvals


message 4: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jun 12, 2020 01:28AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments option 2 Approvals
The Whispering Room (Jane Hawk, #2) by Dean Koontz The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11) by Elizabeth George Moby-Dick; or, the Whale by Herman Melville Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts


message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 6: by Alex (last edited May 16, 2020 04:07PM) (new)

Alex | 218 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "option 2 Approvals"

Would this work as a Option 2?
Single person on the cover, part of a series of 5 books, paperback is over 600 pages.
Thanks!
The Whispering Room (Jane Hawk, #2) by Dean Koontz


message 7: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 16, 2020 04:26PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Alex wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "option 2 Approvals"

Would this work as a Option 2?
Single person on the cover, part of a series of 5 books, paperback is over 600 pages.
Thanks!
[bookcover:The Whispering Room|..."


yes that works


message 8: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments This came up in another thread and I never bothered to question it before - would "0" count as a whole number? Mathematically, it's a whole number, but that doesn't mean it's what you intended here.


message 9: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "This came up in another thread and I never bothered to question it before - would "0" count as a whole number? Mathematically, it's a whole number, but that doesn't mean it's what you intended here."
can you give me an example?- I think if it is a prequel I am going to say no


message 10: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments The only examples I can think of are prequels, but I bring it up because it came up in another thread and I could find no guidance in the various SRC rules and FAQs. By definition, whole numbers include "0", so if your intent is to exclude it when counting the number of books in a series, you should probably say so.

For example, if a series has 6 volumes (0, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4), there would be 5 whole numbered volumes, but if you are excluding prequels in the count, too, that would make 4. In mathematics, that subset of the whole numbers is called the positive whole numbers, because 0 is neither positive nor negative.

A somewhat pedantic point outside a mathematics context, normally, but those are the definitions we have to work with. I have a feeling most people mean positive whole numbers in this context, which is why I'm suggesting you clarify.


message 11: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 17, 2020 01:17PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "The only examples I can think of are prequels, but I bring it up because it came up in another thread and I could find no guidance in the various SRC rules and FAQs. By definition, whole numbers in..."

thanks Aprileigh ETA i think I will make a decision on specific books as they arise


message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments To clarify - if you read two books, it doesn't matter if they equal more than 600 pages?


message 13: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments I assume this works for Option 2 but want to make sure since we don't see their face: 1 person on the cover, 5 words in the title, 722 pages.
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss


message 14: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Chris wrote: "To clarify - if you read two books, it doesn't matter if they equal more than 600 pages?"

No there is no page requirement for two books


message 15: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Sally wrote: "I assume this works for Option 2 but want to make sure since we don't see their face: 1 person on the cover, 5 words in the title, 722 pages.
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss"


yes that works


message 16: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1144 comments I'd like to use this for option two. Is book 11 in a series and has a solo person on the cover. 1009 pages.
A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11) by Elizabeth George


message 17: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments works for me that is some chunkster


Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments For option 1 single word title, does the word have to be in the OED? Can it be slang? I’m asking specifically about Butterface.


message 19: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "For option 1 single word title, does the word have to be in the OED? Can it be slang? I’m asking specifically about Butterface."


Butterface is fine it is one word no spaces no need to be in a dictionary


Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "For option 1 single word title, does the word have to be in the OED? Can it be slang? I’m asking specifically about Butterface."


[book:Butterface|4..."


Thank you!


message 21: by Mai (last edited May 28, 2020 08:01AM) (new)

Mai (jeanphoenix) | 400 comments Would you consider Moby-Dick to be 2 words or 1 word?

Moby-Dick or, the Whale

Also, this is the version of the book I have and there are 5 human figures on the small boat, but the figures are tiny. They're visible if you look at the hard copy but otherwise hard to see here. Would you still count this as 5 people?

description


message 22: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 29, 2020 10:40AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Mai wrote: "Would you consider Moby-Dick to be 2 words or 1 word?

Moby-Dick or, the Whale

Also, this is the version of the book I have and there are 5 human figures on the small boat, but the ..."


I think there is a general rule
about hyphenated words let me check

ETA I cannot find the general rule however

I would say the hyphenated word counts as one word (that is the idea i get if I look it up on google.

It is stand alone but i cannot say with confidence that there are 5 people in the boat from the picture above.

I am sorry I am not able to approve this book unless you can find a better picture


message 23: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Mai wrote: "Would you consider Moby-Dick to be 2 words or 1 word?

Moby-Dick or, the Whale

Also, this is the version of the book I have and there are 5 human figures on the small boat, but the ..."


I have had another look with my hubby's magnifying glass There is one person looking forward and 4 rowing so you CAN use this book for one book option as a stand alone 5 people on cover


message 24: by Mai (new)

Mai (jeanphoenix) | 400 comments Yes, that's exactly it! Sorry to make you go to great lengths to verify this while I could actually have taken a clearer picture ... Here it is just so you can be sure.

Excited to be reading a great book this summer!
description


message 25: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 30, 2020 05:22AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Mai wrote: "Yes, that's exactly it! Sorry to make you go to great lengths to verify this while I could actually have taken a clearer picture ... Here it is just so you can be sure.

Excited to be reading a gr..."


Enjoy the book Mai I am glad I could see it the hubby and I are like two of the three blind mice at times but at least we got there


message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1343 comments Hi! Thank you for the interesting task. I wanted to see if this would work for a book with a single person on the cover, since it's just a silhouette and it's pretty small!
Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia


message 27: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jun 01, 2020 05:07AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Jessica wrote: "Hi! Thank you for the interesting task. I wanted to see if this would work for a book with a single person on the cover, since it's just a silhouette and it's pretty small!
[bookcover:Tuesday Moone..."


it is clearly one person s it works for me for option 1 book 1


message 28: by Ann A (last edited Jun 08, 2020 09:42PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 887 comments Can I get this approved for option 2?
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
When I click on 'enlarge cover', it looks there there are a couple of people sitting on the stairs (in addition to the obvious 3 in the water), and also people standing above them.


message 29: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Ann A wrote: "Can I get this approved for option 2?
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
When I click on 'enlarge cover', it looks there there are a couple of people sitting on the stairs (in addition to the obvious 3 i..."


Yes that works with my trusty magnifier i see 3 in the water and 3 on the steps at the top so 5+ people and one word title = one book option.

I remember reading this years ago pre GR but cannot remember what i thought about it


message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex | 218 comments For Book 2, would Winter by Marissa Meyer work as being part of a 5 book series?

It has 4 whole number books, and a 3.5 series book.


message 31: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Alex wrote: "For Book 2, would Winter by Marissa Meyer work as being part of a 5 book series?

It has 4 whole number books, and a 3.5 series book."



Sorry no, the info says series size is based on whole series numbers


message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments dpes the outline of a person work - thinking: Diary of a Small Fish by Pete Morin


message 33: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jun 29, 2020 10:39AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Dee wrote: "dpes the outline of a person work - thinking: Diary of a Small Fish by Pete Morin"

yes it works for me obviously a person for option 1 book 1


message 34: by Dee (last edited Jun 29, 2020 10:48AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments thanks! it was the outline/silhouette vs. real person that i wanted to check on :)


message 35: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1686 comments Would this be acceptable for single person on cover?

The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian


message 36: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Wanda wrote: "Would this be acceptable for single person on cover?

The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian"


yes that works


back to top