Play Book Tag discussion

My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1)
This topic is about My Lady Jane
May 2020: Comedy > My Lady Jane - 3.5 stars, by Cynthia Hand and others

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8509 comments Posted for Comedy Month, and Cheese for Poll Ballot.

This was a fun easy comedy read. This is the second historical fantasy I have read set in the time of young Mary and Elizabeth Tudor. In the first trilogy I have read, by Laura Andersen, the Boleyn King series (which I adored), the question was what if Anne Boleyn's child/son had lived, and what if Elizabeth still got to be queen? Those three (six) books were exquisitely done and were favorites of mine. In My Lady Jane, the historical fantasy question is similar. What if Queen Jane, (Lady Jane Grey) who got to be queen for 9 days following the poisoning and death of Edward Tudor.... (Well he was weak, but I don't actually remember if he was poisoned....), what if there was a world where Edward discovers the poison and the ruse, and the people behind it? What if he and Jane teamed up?

Now add in a mystical element where people, court people and not, can turn into animals? And where this becomes part of both the political and power landscape, the plot, the character development, and the story? What if you were in love with a horse, a ferret, a fox, or a kestral, or a dog? What if you were a lion, a mouse, or a mule or a skunk? How does this affect you, you nature, your relationship, your daily life, and your ability to rule?

I asked AJ, who read it at the same time.... This was just a fun YA story meant for comedy and cheese. Would I be reading too much into it to say that there was more development around the idea that in growing up one has to learn about and control one's affinities and inner natures? That there was something to the idea of emotion being linked to the change and that deeper hearts desire has something to do with being able to control one's form is a metaphor for growing up and life development? We were talking about the natures, abilities, and conceptions of 16 and 17 year old kids. Maybe 19 or 20. Who were on the brink of discovering themselves as both adults and animals. That element is what sustained me through this, so I am going with it. But it was meant to be a fun engaging ride, and it was. Satisfied the tags of comedy and cheese, and took a book off my towering TBR. I liked it well enough. 3.5 stars. I liked how it all worked out. No spoilers. Historical fantasy can be fun, and clearly the three authors had fun writing.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I am glad you liked it. I am also glad I passed on this one.

King Edward VI of England was not poisoned. There were some rumors at the time of poison and different theories as to who ordered the poisoning but there is not evidence. I think it is believed he died of Tuberculosis.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8509 comments It was definitely TB and the book alluded to that too. If I remember correctly though, Edward was always weakly. And I do remember and that there was some kind of murmuring around poison. This is why I struggle fantasy can be hard. It makes things blurry.