The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Evelina
This topic is about Evelina
2020/21 Group Reads - Archives > Evelina: Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Moderator (last edited Jun 11, 2020 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1369 comments Mod
Hello, everyone! We will start reading Evelina on May 31. Here is the reading schedule (the numbers are irregular because the letters are all of different lengths):

Week 1: Letters I - XVII (May 31 to June 7) "CAN any thing, my good Sir, be more painful to a friendly mind"

Week 2: Letters XVIII - XXIV (June 7 to 14) "I HAD just finished my letter to you this morning, when a violent rapping at the door made me run down stairs; and who should I see in the drawing room, but-"

Week 3: Letters XXV - XLII (June 14 to 21) "NO, my dear Sir, no: the work of seventeen years remains such as it was, ever"

Week 4: Letters XLIII - LII (June 21 to 28) "June 10th THIS morning Mr. Smith called, on purpose, he said, to offer me a ticket for the next Hampstead assembly."

Week 5: Letters LIII - LXVII (June 28 to July 5) "LISTLESS, uneasy, and without either spirit or courage to employ myself, from the time I had finished"

Week 6: Letters LXVIII - LXXVII (July 5 to 12) "SWEETLY, most sweetly, have two days more passed"

Week 7: Letters LXXVIII - end (July 12 to 19) "I COULD not write yesterday, so violent was the agitation of my mind"

*Edited June 11, 2020, to add the first lines of each section

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 2893 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to this read!

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 675 comments Me too, and it's well timed because I'm just starting to write a novel in which Fanny Burney is the central character so I need to immerse myself again in her voice.

message 4: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - added it

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
I’ve had an older Everyman library copy on my shelf for years. It will be great to read it.

LiLi | 277 comments Ha! I have a copy on my bookshelf! I'll try to join you then. :)

message 6: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm so glad you'll all be joining us! Good luck on your novel, Abigail.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 675 comments Thanks! This one’s fighting me pretty hard.

message 8: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1870 comments Mod
I'll be joining you as well-I was able to borrow a copy from a neighbour.

message 9: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robin P | 2205 comments Mod
It's in public domain so electronic copies would be available free from libraries or on tablets.

message 10: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie | 2 comments The audiobook is also free on YouTube.

message 11: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good to know; thanks!

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Kupersmith | 170 comments I first read Evelina as a grad student and have loved it since.

message 13: by LiLi (new) - rated it 4 stars

LiLi | 277 comments There's also a free recording on Librivox.

Adria (adriao) | 34 comments I read it in college. looking forward to reading it again

message 15: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks! Great to see you here.

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 160 comments Allie wrote: "The audiobook is also free on YouTube."

Thanks, I tried this one. There were no Librivox podcasts as far as I could see.

The first chapter in the Youtube Librivox recording is read by a woman named Christi, who does not read English fluently. She has a heavy Polish or French accent and I have given up, because I can’t understand it! Just a warning.

The book is delayed at my library, so I might not be able to join on time. Will try and see if I can purchase another audiobook or something. I don’t read on tablets.

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 160 comments Hurrah, I have signed in for a free month trial at Audible and downloaded the novel with three readers, including Judi Dench! :)

message 18: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

That's great, Charlotte!

message 19: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori, my copy of Evelina has three volumes, which each volume beginning to number the chapters starting from one.

message 20: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, it doesn't just number the letters?

message 21: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Give me some time and I'll put the first line of each section.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

The letters are numbered, but volume 1 ends with letter 31 and then volume 2 begins with letter 1 again.

message 23: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

The first lines of each section are now up. I hope that helps!

message 24: by LiLi (last edited Jun 11, 2020 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LiLi | 277 comments Arg, I've had books like that, also that restarted the page numbering with each volume. I was constantly using a calculator to figure out where I was. So annoying!

I have started with the book, but later than the group, as I wss late finishing my previous book. But I'm trying to catch up to you now!

message 25: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks, Lori!

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 160 comments I too have a different edition, and an audiobook with arabic numeration, so I have made my own notes for the sections. You may compare with your own chart:

Last chapters for each week:

Week 3 - XLII - 42 - Vol. II, Letter XI

Week 4 - LII - 52 - Vol. II, Letter XXI

Week 5 - LXVII - 67 - Vol. III, Letter VI

Week 6 - LXXVII - 77 - Vol. III, Letter XVI

message 27: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks, Charlotte.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 675 comments Much appreciated, Charlotte, I just discovered that my edition is numbered the same way as yours!

message 29: by LiLi (new) - rated it 4 stars

LiLi | 277 comments I did, too!

message 30: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - added it

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
I’m very behind so I’ve decided to read at my own pace and add to the discussion late.

message 31: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deborah wrote: "I’m very behind so I’ve decided to read at my own pace and add to the discussion late."

We look forward to reading your thoughts on it!