What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Big Hardcover Non-Fiction Mythical Monsters Book 2001-2002 (Book Itself Could Be Older Than That)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (last edited May 15, 2020 08:34AM) (new)

Ryan Woods | 3 comments Okay so I borrowed this book from the school library in the third grade (2002-ish) and I remember it being quite big and heavy (although I was 9 at the time). Turned out it was library-use-only (which is partially why I have such a vivid memory of it) and had to return it the next day. It was basically an encyclopedia of various mythical monster species broken up into categories. It had a lot of beautiful 18-19th century paintings of ancient Greek monsters like the Minotaur and the Hydra. The section on dragons also had a big black-and-white picture of the original 1954 Godzilla. It definitely couldn't have been published past 2003 because I think it was December of 2002. (Christmas break) when I found it. I have no recollection who the author was or what the title was (although it must have included the words mythology or monsters/creatures to catch my attention at that age). I'm guessing it might have been what you call a coffee table book since it was roughly the same size as the DC Comics Encyclopedia, which it shared a rack with in the library. I even tried calling/emailing the library of the school (Homestead Public School in Brampton, Ontario) years ago to inquire about it to no avail. Any help would be infinitely appreciated since I never got the chance to read it any detail and it's a big unsolved mystery of my childhood. Thanks!

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1964 comments It might be on this list - Bestiaries

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Woods | 3 comments Ryan wrote: "Okay so I borrowed this book from the school library in the third grade (2002-ish) and I remember it being quite big and heavy (although I was 9 at the time). Turned out it was library-use-only (wh..."

Thank you Becca!

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Woods | 3 comments I've narrowed it down to two that look familiar and match the time frame, its either The Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were by Robert Ingpen or Gods, Monsters and Dragons by Carol Rose.