What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Crooked Kind of Perfect
This topic is about A Crooked Kind of Perfect
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. MG/YA—YSU English Fest book, read 2013–2019? MC was a girl w/ at least 1 parent. Male character was either friend or enemy, but ends up friend. School/summer break setting (present day)? Female author? Spoilers? [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asia (semi–hiatus) (last edited May 25, 2020 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments I don't remember much about this book. I'm pretty sure I read it in middle school (which would have been around 2014–2016), but it could have been earlier or later (hence the longer time span in the topic).

The book wasn't old when I read it. I think it was fairly new when I read it (like, published within the past 5 years from reading it). I read a physical book (written in English).

I think I might have read it for a school related event (like a reading competition, kinda like the YSU English Festival). The link for past book is this: http://www.ysuenglishfestival.org/pas.... I don't even know if any of them are my book, but I am looking through them to check. I do know for sure that if my book is on the list it would somewhere between the years of 2016 to 2018 and only on the 7th to 9th Grade list (which are the grade and years I went).

I'm pretty sure it was written for middle schoolers, but it very well could have been YA. It was also set in a present–day type of time period and during either back–to–school, end–of–school, or summer break.

I think the MC was a girl. She wasn't that old. I think she was within the ages of 10 and 15, maybe. I'm pretty sure at least one of her parents was alive and present. There was another character who was a boy. I can't remember his role is the story. They might have been friends or enemies—I can't remember. They did become friends later on. I think it took place during school and/or summer break. So, both of them must have been students.

Possible spoiler

(view spoiler)

At first, I thought it could have been Counting by 7s, but once I read and finished it, I knew it wasn't. It could be a similar book, maybe.

I don't know for sure, but the author may have been female, possibly Grace Lin (but maybe not?).

I am 90% sure I own (or have owned) this book somewhere/sometime. I have not put all the books in my house on my GR "owned" book shelf (I have a lot), so I haven't been able to find it.

It might not be worth noting, but, despite my poor memory of this book, I'm pretty sure it was a good book. I think I did enjoy reading it, so it wasn't a horrible book.

Hope this gives you some idea! Sorry for my spotty memory! Whenever I think of something, I am editing my posts/posting more comments.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited May 17, 2020 09:01PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Asia, you need to put genre and plot details in your topic header.

message 3: by Asia (semi–hiatus) (last edited May 18, 2020 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Asia, you need to put genre and plot details in your topic header."

Is this any better? Or should I add more? My memory of this book is really spotty, so I tried to put what I knew best in the topic header.

message 4: by Asia (semi–hiatus) (last edited Jul 22, 2020 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments Ok, so I don't think the author was Grace Lin, but I still am not completely ruling her out.

Here are somes lists of books to give you some idea of genre:

Definitely Not It List
Counting by 7s
A Mango-Shaped Space

Highly Doubt/Probably Not List
Grace Lin

Maybe?/To Check List
Zen and the Art of Faking It
The Impossible Knife of Memory
Out of My Mind

Definitely It List

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Asia wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Asia, you need to put genre and plot details in your topic header."

Is this any better? Or should I add more? My memory of this book is really spotty, so I tried to put what I ..."

Well it's still quite vague but it's better than it was.

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments I think part of it took place during summer break, because I don't remember school really being mentioned.

I also think I might remember a sunset scene, maybe?? (I might be combining book plots—sorry!)

I also don't think there was much, if any, romance stuff in the book, so it might be more likely to be MG (middle grade), but I'm still not 100% sure about this.

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 400 comments Probably not it, but I remember a scene near the end of A Mango-Shaped Space where the girl MC and a boy are sitting on the bleachers talking about the boy's mismatched socks.

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) wrote: "Probably not it, but I remember a scene near the end of A Mango-Shaped Space where the girl MC and a boy are sitting on the bleachers talking about the boy's mismatched socks."

Hey Jessica! Thanks so much for that suggestion, but I'm afraid that's not it. I don't believe I've read it either, although it looks kinda interesting!

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments I have found my book! It's A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban.

Here was the ORIGINAL title:
MG/YA—YSU English Fest book, read 2013–2019? MC was a girl w/ at least 1 parent. Male character was either friend or enemy, but ends up friend. School/summer break setting (present day)? Female author? Spoilers?

Here was the ORIGINAL post (Comment #1):
I don't remember much about this book. I'm pretty sure I read it in middle school (which would have been around 2014–2016), but it could have been earlier or later (hence the longer time span in the topic).

The book wasn't old when I read it. I think it was fairly new when I read it (like, published within the past 5 years from reading it). I read a physical book (written in English).

I think I might have read it for a school related event (like a reading competition, kinda like the YSU English Festival). The link for past book is this: http://www.ysuenglishfestival.org/pas.... I don't even know if any of them are my book, but I am looking through them to check. I do know for sure that if my book is on the list it would somewhere between the years of 2016 to 2018 and only on the 7th to 9th Grade list (which are the grade and years I went).

I'm pretty sure it was written for middle schoolers, but it very well could have been YA. It was also set in a present–day type of time period and during either back–to–school, end–of–school, or summer break.

I think the MC was a girl. She wasn't that old. I think she was within the ages of 10 and 15, maybe. I'm pretty sure at least one of her parents was alive and present. There was another character who was a boy. I can't remember his role is the story. They might have been friends or enemies—I can't remember. They did become friends later on. I think it took place during school and/or summer break. So, both of them must have been students.

Possible spoiler

-----

(view spoiler)

-----

At first, I thought it could have been Counting by 7s, but once I read and finished it, I knew it wasn't. It could be a similar book, maybe.

I don't know for sure, but the author may have been female, possibly Grace Lin (but maybe not?).

I am 90% sure I own (or have owned) this book somewhere/sometime. I have not put all the books in my house on my GR "owned" book shelf (I have a lot), so I haven't been able to find it.

It might not be worth noting, but, despite my poor memory of this book, I'm pretty sure it was a good book. I think I did enjoy reading it, so it wasn't a horrible book.

Hope this gives you some idea! Sorry for my spotty memory! Whenever I think of something, I am editing my posts/posting more comments.

About this book:
It was written in 2007, which was not in the past 5 years of reading it.
It was not a YSU English Fest book.
It was present–day, during school, and ending around Zoe's last days of school.
MC was a girl (Zoe). She did have 2 parents (a mom and a dad).
Male character (Wheeler) was pretty much her friend for most of the book. He only had 1 parent (his dad).
"Spoiler"–wise: (view spoiler)
I do own this book, and it was really good.
It is a MG novel, not YA.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16964 comments Great news, glad you found it!

Thanks for updating us. :)

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments Thanks!

And, you're welcome!