#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Crooked House
This topic is about Crooked House
Buddy Reads > Crooked House discussion ( spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) This post will be for part 1 of Crooked House in case other's haven't finished it so no ending spoilers just yet! :) We will discussion the final part later on in the month.

Crooked House replaced my old favorite Agatha Christie book! I loved it so much and totally understand why the movie Knives Out used Crooked House as it's inspiration! :) BTW if you haven't seen that movie it is so good!!

Part 1:

What are you first thoughts of Crooked House?
What do you think about the whirlwind engagement?
Any first thoughts on who you thought did it? ( if you have finished and know the killer skip this question or say who you first thought it was )

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) My first thoughts on Crooked House was man I thought my extended family had issues. :) This was one crooked family living in a crooked house just like Sophie said.

I guess he just knew right away she was the one. It was a different time back then and more common I think. He didn't know what he was marrying into till he got back to England. I love that it didn't make him second guess his decision. :)

I won't say my first thoughts because I ended up being right. I was shocked.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) V i c k s wrote: "A few months ago I watched Knives Out and absolutely loved it! Funny how while reading Crooked House I was finding so many similarities with the movie, I didnt know it was inspired by the book! Hig..."

I know this book was one of her best I think. This was actually one of her favorites as well. :)

message 4: by Nada (last edited May 15, 2020 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments 1- My first thought was "Poor Charles if he's really going to marry into THAT" xD

2- I haven't given it much thought to be honest, quite a regular pattern in books of the mid 20th century so *shrugs*, plus I was too fixated on the mystery itself to bother with other things :P

3- I had guessed the murderer right, though like Shannon, the reveal still shocked me. At first I wasn't completely sure, and my mind formed a couple other theories but an observation drew me back to my original suspect and a tiny clue later 100% confirmed it to me

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Nada wrote: "1- My first thought was "Poor Charles if he's really going to marry into THAT" xD

2- I haven't given it much thought to be honest, quite a regular pattern in books of the mid 20th century so *shru..."

I know I would have run away as fast I could that family was Crooked.

Erika | 79 comments 1. @Vicks that was my first thought exactly when I was reading through!! I had no idea that so much of the movie was based on Crooked House, which is probably why I ended up really loving that film.
2. Like Nada included, I honestly didn't give the whirlwind engagement too much thought. But I liked Sophie when first introduced to her character, and liked them as a couple.
3. The suspect I had in mind ended up being wrong, so I was not expecting that ending!

message 7: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia 1) I loved Crooked House. I fell into the story right away. It's my favorite Agatha Christie so far! 2) I thought for sure there would be a conflict of interest with Charles and Sophie's engagement and with Charles and his dad working on the case, but I was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, I agree with you all that it's wild that he wanted to still marry Sophia with that crazy whirlwind going on all around them. 3) I never even once figured out the killer all the way through the book, so I gave up trying and just decided to sit back and enjoy the book! Such a great book!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Would everyone be ready to discuss Crooked House or would you like to wait till the already scheduled day of next Friday?

Hope your having a good Friday...

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments Shannon wrote: "Would everyone be ready to discuss Crooked House or would you like to wait till the already scheduled day of next Friday?

Hope your having a good Friday..."

I finished the book so personally I have no problem, but I think we should wait just a day or two to really make sure that everyone is on board with this since we don't want anyone to be accidentally spoiled

message 10: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia I'm ready to discuss whenever works for everyone.

Erika | 79 comments Sorry, I missed your post/question Shannon. I'm also ready to discuss ☺️

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) So final discussion question is: What did you think of that ending!!!??

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) V i c k s wrote: "I was shocked, not only by the reveal but also beacause of the decission of her aunt (?) Couldn't believe what I was reading"

Same I figured out the killer early on but never ever saw that twist coming! Ms Christie always pulls the rug out from under my feet every single time. :)

message 14: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia I gave up trying to figure out the killer mid-way somewhere and just decided to enjoy the book and see where it all went. I was completely shocked by the outcome!!! Never saw that coming at all.

This is my favorite Agatha book so far. I really enjoyed Charles' character; he wasn't perfect. He had a lot on his plate, he forgot things, and he was perfectly human throughout the book. I love that! Sophia's character impressed me too. She had a lot on her shoulders. I thought there might be a conflict of interest with Charles working on the case with his father and dating Sophia but there wasn't at all. It was great!

message 15: by Nada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments Shannon wrote: "So final discussion question is: What did you think of that ending!!!??"

I really loved it!! Even though I knew it was Josephine (The whole "murderer likes to brag and play detective" clue gave it away since she was the only one doing that, but I became 1000% sure when Charles noticed the broken chair after Josephine's first staged murder attempt) reading that single line Today I killed grandfather still gave me the chills. I think the ending she got was the only one Agatha could kill her (though I felt really sorry for Edith), because otherwise it'd have been Juvenile prison or god knows what worse, and like Charles, I had become kinda fond of her

message 16: by Gia (last edited May 30, 2020 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Nada Wow! So impressed you figured it out, too! Well done!

Erika | 79 comments @Gia I also gave up on trying to figure out who the killer (I basically am always surprised by her endings, honestly). So I was surprised, and struck by how clever the ending was.
I really liked this book, even though we didn't have Poirot or Marple (or another actual detective) leading the way in the investigation.
@Nada I had a similar reaction when reading that journal entry! Christie definitely knows how to subtly include creepy elements like that in some of her books.