Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Is this a normal thing?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aqua (last edited May 15, 2020 04:31AM) (new)

Aqua Hi there! I've had some requests for combining and/or merging some romanian editions with the original language ones. The problem is that after my requests were solved, those romanians titles do not appear anymore in any search fields. https://imgur.com/ET9MYZk
It's as if they've disappeared from the face of the earh, err, goodreads. Is this a normal thing?
I'm worried that my countrymen will search and add them once more if they can't find them.

message 2: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 3044 comments Combining titles shouldn't make them disappear, it doesn't happen to me when I search for random Italian titles at least.
Maybe the system just needs some time to update.

Consider also that the search engine here is not really good (they are working on it, so maybe it's better than how it was some time ago, but still not perfect), so if you don't type the title correctly it may produce no results.

Finally, searching for ISBN always directs to the exact result, so if people search using the ISBN they shouldn't have any problem nevertheless

message 3: by Aqua (last edited May 15, 2020 04:50AM) (new)

Aqua Moloch wrote: "Combining titles shouldn't make them disappear, it doesn't happen to me when I search for random Italian titles at least.
Maybe the system just needs some time to update.

Consider also that the se..."

Thanks for answering! Some of them are from 3 days ago. Most of them have no ISBN on their page, I was going to ask for librarians to add it , but I have problems finding them by title. I'll have to put a link in that thread instead of the title.

message 4: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 3044 comments I don't know, from my experience there should not be any problem, I hope it's so

message 5: by Ekaterina (last edited May 18, 2020 04:53AM) (new)

Ekaterina Okuneva (okuneshku) | 3282 comments Aqua wrote: "Hi there! I've had some requests for combining and/or merging some romanian editions with the original language ones. The problem is that after my requests were solved, those romanians titles do no..."

I've found this particular book using author's name in search, then looking for the original book on his page, then for Romanian edition, combined with the main work. Not the easiest way, but it is still on the site. There was no ISBN, I added it from WorldCat. Now you can find this book using ISBN 9789739065818.
I guess the main reason is that the data for those books was changed and search engine is too slow to show them at once. It may took more than 3 days to find them by title, but all the books should be safe, combined with original works :)

message 6: by Aqua (new)

Aqua Ekaterina wrote: "Aqua wrote: "Hi there! I've had some requests for combining and/or merging some romanian editions with the original language ones. The problem is that after my requests were solved, those romanians..."

I know those books aren't lost forever, they are just hard to find at first search. I'm worried that my compatriots wouldn't have enough patience to search them by author or by ISBN. Well, I'll have to wait at least two weeks to see if they will appear again. Thanks for your answer!

message 7: by Krysztyna (new)

Krysztyna | 42 comments I had a similar problem many times and I see people are as impatient as you say with Polish editions. I think we just have to tak it more easy. They always add some duplicates and someone has to combine them ;)

message 8: by Aqua (new)

Aqua Krystyna wrote: "I had a similar problem many times and I see people are as impatient as you say with Polish editions. I think we just have to tak it more easy. They always add some duplicates and someone has to co..."

True, I'm aware of it but it seems like Sisif's work to do it again and again. Thanks for your answer!