Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2020 > July 2020 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1669 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for July 2020.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it. Apparently this only works on the desktop version of the site; if you use the app, the link is not available yet, so just be sure to put the full title and author.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we might not include all of your nominations in the voting.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle in the U.S.

Nominations will close on May 20 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben I nominate The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Theiss Smith (dakotaprof) The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 7 comments I’m nominating The Violinist Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code by Sam Kean.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 629 comments Ben wrote: "I nominate The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan"

I'll add the correct book link since I think this is a great nomination. I just read it recently & it is incredibly relevant.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (d1781) | 5 comments I nominate: Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science by Lawrence m. krauss

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 9: by Ty (new)

Ty Prentice | 2 comments I have no recommendations at this time. Looking forward to what is decided!

message 10: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Ben wrote: "I nominate The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan"

We already read this book as a group for May, 2014.

message 11: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Kim wrote: "I’m nominating The Violinist Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code by Sam Kean."

We already read this book as a group, for December 2015.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 629 comments Betsy wrote: "Ben wrote: "I nominate The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan"

We already read this book as a group for May, 2014."

My apologies. I actually did look at the bookshelf & didn't see it. I do now. Not sure how I missed it.

I'll nominate The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal by Jared Diamond. I want to read it & I don't see it on our shelves here.

message 13: by Saranyaa (new)

Saranyaa VR | 1 comments I nominate Behave by Robert Sapolsky https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 14: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 873 comments Mod
Saranyaa wrote: "I nominate Behave by Robert Sapolsky https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Behave is an excellent book. But we already read this book, back in August 2019. Here is our discussion.

message 15: by David (last edited May 16, 2020 02:23PM) (new)

message 17: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 873 comments Mod
Tim wrote: "Transcend: The New Science of Self-Actualization

Transcend: The New Science of Self-Actualization was published just last month. Since it is so recent, please wait a few months before nominating it again.

message 19: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

We have seven nominations so far, and two more days for nominations.

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 404 comments Jim wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Ben wrote: "I nominate The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan"

We already read this book as a group for May, 2014."

My apologies. I actually did look..."

Oh! I absolutely loved this book. Would like to read it again!

message 21: by Ridwan (last edited May 18, 2020 06:42PM) (new)

Ridwan Hossain razin | 1 comments I want to nominate Energy: A Human History by Richard Rhodes

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 404 comments I'd not heard of that one. I loved the Making of the Atomic Bomb by Rhodes, this one also sounds good.

message 26: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are now closed. I'll be posting a poll shortly.

message 27: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Please vote for your choice for the group read, at the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

The poll will be open through May 25.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.