Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Books of the Month > The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward - June 2020 Adult / Non-fiction BOM - starts 14 Jun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 334 (334 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

When seventy-year-old Charlotte Perkins submits a sexy essay to the "Become a Jetsetter" contest, she dreams of reuniting her estranged children: Lee, an almost-famous actress; Cord, a handsome Manhattan venture capitalist who can't seem to find a bride; and Regan, a harried mother who took it all wrong when Charlotte bought her a Weight Watchers gift certificate for her birthday. Charlotte yearns for the years when her children were young and she was a single mother who meant everything to them. When she wins the cruise, the family packs all their baggage—literal and figurative—and spends ten days traveling from sun-drenched Athens through glorious Rome to tapas-laden Barcelona on an over-the-top cruise ship, the Splendido Marveloso. As lovers new and old join the adventure, long-buried secrets are revealed, and the Perkins family is forced to confront the defining choices in their lives. Can four lost adults find the peace they've been seeking by reconciling their childhood aches and coming back to each other?

In the vein of The Nest and The Vacationers, Ward has created a delicious and intelligent novel about the courage it takes to reveal our true selves, the pleasures and perils of family, and how we navigate the seas of adulthood to cruise—we can only hope—toward joy.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 15, 2020 01:06AM) (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. We ask for volunteers to write the discussion questions for each section, and to engage with responses from the other readers.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 17, 2020 01:32AM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters %age MPDQs

14 June Prologue & Part 1 25% Judy
15 June Part 2 - Part 4 43% Cat
16 June Part 5 - Part 6 60% Chris [Christina
17 June Part 7 - Part 9 79% MelanieJoy
18 June Part 10 - end 100% Judith

Guidance for DQ setters
Aim for a reasonable number of questions: 4 - 5 is typical. Please don't post too many - any more than 7 gets unwieldy!
Use consecutive numbering of the DQs for your days. So, for example, if Day one is posted as questions 1-4, day two should start at number 5 etc.
Don't worry too much about your questions: you aren't being tested on how clever your questions are!
Hints and tips:
- Is there a quote that jumped out at you? Use that in a question.
- What about the characters - do they generate strong feelings? No feelings? - either way, we can explore that!
- What about that plot twist?!
- Explore the writing style: is there an unusual structure being used? what's the tone of voice like? or the point of view?

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 15, 2020 01:08AM) (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 15, 2020 01:58AM) (new)

WHEEL Page count: everyone should use page count 352 (the default ed) if they are participating in the BOM

Volunteers
Cat (Fridge)
MelanieJoy (Pants)
Christina (Gulliver)
Judith (H2G2)
Lexi (H2G2)
Shannon (Oz)
Teddie (Pants)
Chris (Gulliver)
Jessi (Cat)
Rina (Gulliver)
Sharon (Motor)
[[Frankie]] (Don)
Nanci (Cat)
Tammie (Oz)
Vaihedi (????)
Judy (Murder)

Randomiser has spoken (view spoiler)

message 6: by Cat (last edited May 22, 2020 04:06AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 6613 comments Mod
I'm in for this one! (DQs too)

message 7: by MelanieJoy (last edited Jun 03, 2020 02:24PM) (new)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I'm in! Can also do DQs for the last day if I get my book in time.

update: Got my book!

message 8: by Cat (new)

MelanieJoy wrote: "I'm in! Can also do DQs for the last day if I get my book in time."

Fingers crossed, cos at the moment it looks like I'm the only other one who's volunteering! :(

message 9: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1553 comments I won’t have a copy until June 6th or else I would volunteer too

message 10: by MelanieJoy (new)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments It might not come in that early for me either, library says 3 weeks estimated. We can’t push back the start date a week, correct?

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward
We've discussed this and agreed to push the start date of this BOM back to 14 June, so that it will fit into the Wheels challenge!

The start date of the YA BOM will be pushed back a week to, so that we can read both if we want!

message 12: by MelanieJoy (new)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Woohoo this is great! Thanks Mods!

message 13: by Christina (last edited Jun 04, 2020 08:31AM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1558 comments oh I just saw the audiobook is available on scribd, so I'll volunteer for DQs as well :) - Team Gulliver's Travels

message 14: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (last edited Jun 04, 2020 08:12AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 4813 comments Mod
I'll volunteer for DQs! (Hitchhiker's)

message 15: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2601 comments The ratings are abysmal on this book but I'll volunteer if my library copy comes in time.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon O'Flynn | 240 comments any suggestions on how to get this book quickly with the quarantine. My library is closed and they only have 8 ebooks. Im 107th in line :(

message 17: by Lexi (last edited Jun 04, 2020 07:49AM) (new)

Lexi | 2601 comments I'm back up DQ's for Judith.

Team Hitchhiker's

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Shannon wrote: "any suggestions on how to get this book quickly with the quarantine. My library is closed and they only have 8 ebooks. Im 107th in line :("

If you like audiobooks, the audiobook just became available on Scribd for me. I believe Scribd is doing a free month right now for new subscribers. Or here is a link that should give you a 60-day free trial: https://www.scribd.com/g/53o4vx

message 19: by Shannon (last edited Jun 03, 2020 03:02PM) (new)

Shannon O'Flynn | 240 comments Thank you Talia! Im in! I can do a DQ as well

Team: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

message 20: by Teddie (last edited Jun 04, 2020 04:56AM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1455 comments I'm in, can do DQs as well.

Team Travelling Pants

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4966 comments I'll join in, but unfortunately better not volunteer for DQ's as I have to wait for my library copy not till at least the 22nd June. Darn it.

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3721 comments I'll join in for this one

message 23: by Chris (last edited Jun 04, 2020 07:14AM) (new)

Chris Labib | 190 comments I'm trying to get my hands on the audiobook - if I manage, I'll join in!

UPDATE: I just saw Talia's post above (thanks!). If y'all still need someone else to DQ, I can do so as well! (Team Gulliver's Travels)

message 24: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1553 comments Ok since this got pushed back, I'm in for DQ's

Team The Travelling Cat Chronicles

message 25: by Rina (new)

Rina | 584 comments I will be back up for Team Gulliver's Travels to volunteer for DQ's

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 364 comments I can volunteer for DQ's! (Team Motorcycle Diaries)

message 27: by MelanieJoy (new)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments My DQ volunteer from the previous post is from Traveling Pants team :)

message 28: by Cat (new)

Do you know what is currently exciting me? That this cover has deckchairs on it (I embiggened, they are totally lying on deckchairs)!

message 29: by [[ Frankie ]] (new)

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments Volunteering to write DQ’s for Team Don Quixote!

message 30: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1558 comments Cat wrote: "Do you know what is currently exciting me? That this cover has deckchairs on it (I embiggened, they are totally lying on deckchairs)!"

well if you say so 😏

message 31: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 2006 comments I'll be backup for Jessi for writing DQ's. I'm also on The Travelling Cat Chronicles team.

message 32: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 2006 comments Talia wrote: "Shannon wrote: "any suggestions on how to get this book quickly with the quarantine. My library is closed and they only have 8 ebooks. Im 107th in line :("

If you like audiobooks, the audiobook ju..."

Thanks for that tip, Talia! I signed up and now have the audio version!

message 33: by Vaidehi (new)

Vaidehi | 70 comments Phew!!!

I finally got my copy of the book. I am in for writing DQ's.

message 34: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 2582 comments I'm in for DQ's

Team: Wizard of Oz

message 35: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 536 comments I can join for this one .

message 36: by Judy (new)

Judy | 1945 comments Signing up for DQs for Team Orient Express!

message 37: by Dana (new)

Dana | 4 comments I would love to join!!! I have never done this before, I am new to good reads. But I do have my copy!!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4966 comments Just a quick question, how long have we got to join in the discussion and answer questions in relation to Wheel a thon. I am in a queue at the library and the earliest date I can get the book is 24 June? Is that too late to join in?

message 39: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2601 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Just a quick question, how long have we got to join in the discussion and answer questions in relation to Wheel a thon. I am in a queue at the library and the earliest date I can get the book is 24..."

Last Wheel, if I remember correctly, we had a whole month to read and answer questions for BOM. Someone else will need to verify.

message 40: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (new)

Yes, it’s usually one month from the start of the BOM to answer DQs for game points. So for this one you’d have until July 14th to answer the questions.

message 41: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 08, 2020 08:53PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4966 comments Thank Ladies. As long as I can get the book on time that should be a go.

message 42: by [[ Frankie ]] (new)

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments Christina wrote: "Cat wrote: "Do you know what is currently exciting me? That this cover has deckchairs on it (I embiggened, they are totally lying on deckchairs)!"

well if you say so 😏"

Oh, for sure, Cat.😂

message 43: by Cat (new)

@Christina & [[Frankie]] Well, if not deckchairs what do you guys think they are lying on? eh?! ;-P

message 44: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

DQs allocated. If you have a problem with your day:
1) see if you have a teamie who also volunteered and ask them to sub with you (MUST be on the list posted) or
2) if you can't then you'll have to sacrifice your spot and it will be given to the next volunteer who doesn't already have a teamie writing questions or
3) accept your day! ;-P

message 45: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (new)

I will choose option 3, acceptance. We all have things to bear, I guess this is mine.

Just kidding, last day works great for me!

message 46: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2289 comments Cat, can you confirm that Chris has been chosen. We have a Chris and a Christina on our team 😊

message 47: by Cat (new)

Randomiser pulled Chris out first, but Christina had put her name down first. I didn't know if Chris was being backup or not so hedged my bets & caused massive confusion! So, unless Christina was massively desperate to write the questions, I'd say Chris is up.

message 48: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2289 comments Cat wrote: "Randomiser pulled Chris out first, but Christina had put her name down first. I didn't know if Chris was being backup or not so hedged my bets & caused massive confusion! So, unless Christina was m..."

That’s what I thought 😉

message 49: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1558 comments ^ I'm fine with that :)

Also Cat, idk what else I'd call it, English isn't my first language (always a good excuse) haha

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris Labib | 190 comments Sounds good to me! (Sorry, I think I may have created that confusion - I hadn’t seen Christina’s post before I posted because it takes me so long to compose a post 🙄) Nevertheless, I’m confirming I’m on for Parts 5 & 6 on June 16 :)

And there’s a possibility they are beach towels? But the uniformity of it makes me think deck chairs! What do the captains say?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7