Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Five Feet Apart
This topic is about Five Feet Apart
Books of the Month > Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott - June 2020 YA BOM - starts 21 Jun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 342 (342 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod

In this moving story two teens fall in love with just one minor complication—they can’t get within five feet of each other without risking their lives.

Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.

What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 15, 2020 01:06AM) (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. We ask for volunteers to write the discussion questions for each section, and to engage with responses from the other readers.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 24, 2020 07:00AM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters MPDQs

21 Jun 1 - 3 Judy (Murder)
22 Jun 4 - 9 Sophie (Hobbit)
23 Jun 10 - 15 Teddie (Pants)
24 Jun 16 - 21 Jenny (Rabbits)
25 Jun 22 - end Beth (Motor)

Guidance for DQ setters
Aim for a reasonable number of questions: 4 - 5 is typical. Please don't post too many - any more than 7 gets unwieldy!
Use consecutive numbering of the DQs for your days. So, for example, if Day one is posted as questions 1-4, day two should start at number 5 etc.
Don't worry too much about your questions: you aren't being tested on how clever your questions are!
Hints and tips:
- Is there a quote that jumped out at you? Use that in a question.
- What about the characters - do they generate strong feelings? No feelings? - either way, we can explore that!
- What about that plot twist?!
- Explore the writing style: is there an unusual structure being used? what's the tone of voice like? or the point of view?

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 15, 2020 01:07AM) (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 17, 2020 04:15AM) (new) - added it

Official page count: 288

Volunteers

Judith (H2G2)
Christina (Gulliver)
Jenny (Rabbits)
Jessi (Cat BACKUP)
Tina (Motor)
Tammie (Oz)
Shalom (???)
Teddie (Pants)
Shannon (Oz)
Lexi (H2G2 BACKUP)
Maritza (80Days)
Rina (Gulliver BACKUP)
Trinia (Motor)
[[Frankie]] (Don)
Nanci (Cat)
Beth (Motor)
Judy (Murder)
Megan (Shannara)
Cat (Fridge)
Kaley (Odyssey)
Angie (Rabbits)
Deanna (Odyssey BACKUP)
Jammin Jenny (Shannara BACKUP)
Vicki (80Days)
Sophie (Hobbit)
Navi (Pants BACKUP)

(view spoiler)

message 6: by leah (new) - added it

leah  (leahwilliams) | 31 comments I'll be joining you :)

message 7: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (last edited Jun 04, 2020 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judith (brownie72011) | 4836 comments Mod
I volunteer for DQ's! (Hitchhiker's)

message 8: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat (cat_uk) | 6620 comments Mod
Judith wrote: "I volunteer for DQ's!"

Hahahaha! I spot someone after points! ;-P

message 9: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have no shame in my game. And I didn’t want to forget

message 10: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2611 comments I was hoping the adult one was second and this one was first. Am not excited but will read. I will wait to see teams to volunteer for questions.

message 11: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2611 comments I would like to note that the people on the cover of the copy I can get from the library are not five feet apart. It will be interesting to read now that we all have to be 6 ft/ 2 m apart.
Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

message 12: by Christina (last edited Jun 04, 2020 08:39AM) (new) - added it

Christina (chrissy__) | 1566 comments I've read this last ~September and would reread it for watv, can I still sign up for DQs? - Team Gulliver's Travels

EDIT: as it turns out I already read it in March/April 2019, not in September x)

message 13: by Cat (new) - added it

Christina wrote: "I've read this last ~September and would reread it for watv, can I still sign up for DQs?"

You can, and have it count if it was September.

Also: it's reassuring that it's not so awful that you don't mind doing a reread!

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1132 comments Do you have to sign up or do I just join in the discussions when you've read the section of the book each day? I've never done a buddy read this way so for the first month I would like to observe before I jumpin with questions (if that's okay)?

message 15: by Christina (last edited May 28, 2020 03:28PM) (new) - added it

Christina (chrissy__) | 1566 comments Cat wrote: "Christina wrote: "I've read this last ~September and would reread it for watv, can I still sign up for DQs?"

You can, and have it count if it was September.

Also: it's reassuring that it's not so..."

well it's classic YA 😂 and I'm always here to get my team some extra points if I can haha! but yeah it wasn't too bad. I even gave it four stars!

message 16: by Jenny (last edited Jun 08, 2020 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny | 4906 comments Why not? I will volunteer for dq's as well. You are welcome, future team. teehee

Team Watership Down

message 17: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (new) - rated it 3 stars

You only need to ‘sign up’ if you are willing/want to write discussion questions (DQs).

Otherwise just join the chat. And you don’t have to answer the DQs if you don’t want to. Just try not to mention things that happen ahead of wherever we are because of spoilers. Or use the spoiler tag.

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1553 comments I will also volunteer for DQs.

message 19: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott
Because of availabilty issues for the adult BOM we have moved that start date to 14 June (into Wheels!) and will be pushing the start date for the YA BOM to 21 June.

The July BOM dates will be the normal 2nd / 16th

message 20: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 03, 2020 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1871 comments I'll sign up for DQ

Edit: Team Motorcycle Diaries

message 21: by Tammie (last edited Jun 07, 2020 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 2589 comments I'd like to be considered for DQ as well

*Team Wizard of Oz

Hijabi Christian  (tcbbookworm) | 1 comments I have read this book a couple of months prior but i would love to be considered for DQ

Shannon O'Flynn | 240 comments if I get the book in time Ill join :)

message 24: by Shannon (last edited Jun 03, 2020 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon O'Flynn | 240 comments ok I joined Scribd! I would like to sign up for DQ!

Team: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Teddie (teddieg) | 1455 comments I can do DQs.

team: Travelling Pants

Suzanne | 3731 comments I'll be joining up

message 27: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2611 comments I'm back up DQs for Judith (Team Hitchhiker's)

message 28: by Maritza (last edited Jun 08, 2020 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1856 comments I will volunteer for DQs. (1st time volunteering. Going all in for points.)
Team - Around the World in 80 days.

message 29: by Rina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rina | 584 comments I will be back up for Team Gulliver's Travels to volunteer for DQ's

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 210 comments I'll join in for participating, but if you need another DQ set, let me know! I read this when it first came out in Nov 2018, so I'm excited to re-read.

Team Watership Down

Trinia | 2136 comments I'll volunteer for DQ's for Team Motorcycle Diaries

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments Volunteering to write DQ’s for Team Don Quixote!

Nanci | 2019 comments I'll be backup for Jessi for writing DQs for Team Travelling Cat Chronicles.

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanjaginev) | 1 comments I watched the movie, and really enjoyed it. I'd love to read the book in the future.

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments I’m in! Team motorcycle Diaries

message 36: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy | 1954 comments Signing up for DQs for Team Orient Express!

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1553 comments Team Travelling Cats - Would you please switch me and Nanci? Make me the backup for DQs and her the primary.

Thanks in advance!

Megan | 1607 comments Volunteering from The Sword of Shannara for DQs :D

message 39: by Cat (new) - added it

ahhh! I might as well chuck my name in the hat for DQs too...

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1092 comments I'll volunteer for DQs too. (Team The Odyssey)

Cherry | 74 comments I will be joining you all for this BOM and discussion representing Team Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants :)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I’m in!

Angie ☯ | 1031 comments Volunteering for DQ's - Team Watership Down

Deanna | 2727 comments I can back up for DQs for Kaley - Team The Odyssey

message 45: by Katherine (last edited Jun 10, 2020 04:39PM) (new) - added it

Katherine Hayward Pérez  | 145 comments Just got a copy of this. How and where can I join a team?

Silje (sikna) | 1285 comments I just found this book on one of my audiobook apps (Storytel), so looks like I'll be joining too=)

message 47: by Cat (new) - added it

Katherine wrote: "Just got a copy of this. How and where can I join a team?"

You don't need to be on a team to join the discussions Katherine.

Information on the team challenge is over here including the signup link to register to be a reserve player

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4080 comments I'll be a backup for Shanarra.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1508 comments I volunteer for DQ's for 80 Days. I've already read the book but it was over a year ago, so if that doesn't exclude me I'm voluterring.

message 50: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie (drsophie) | 3383 comments Mod
I'll volunteer for Hobbit

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7