You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > June 2020 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 07:25AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15081 comments The winning theme this month is Day and Night, more specifically books with the words 'day' or 'night' in the title.

You can now nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alone

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close May 20.

Nominations:
The House at the Edge of Night (Peggy - Lilisa)
Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (Sarah - Silver, Katrisa)
The Night Tiger (Janice - Renee)
Every Day (Cherie)
Her Last Day (Kristie)
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (Margo)
Five Days in May (Jackie)
The Night Watchman (Jayme)

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13583 comments I have so many books that fit this theme! I'm guessing no imbedded words since it wasn't specified, but do plurals count?

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15081 comments I'll leave that up to Margo, as it was her suggestion :)

I had surprisingly few. Well, a lot of imbedded words, or in subtitles/series titles, or books that I read already or have on my wishlist but don't own. But books that I actually own and haven't read yet, very few.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'd like to nominate Night Watch.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13583 comments Yes, that narrows it down a lot when you consider books that you own and have not read yet.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48697 comments I will nominate The Night Tiger.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13583 comments That is on my TBR too, Janice. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 titles that I own.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Sarah wrote: "I'd like to nominate Night Watch."

This is on my TBR and I thought about nominating it so I second Night Watch.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1630 comments I second The night Tigef

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19977 comments I checked my TBR list for both words and was surprised at how many I had listed that I had not read yet. 14 for Day and 20 for Night (including 3 with both words). Sarah's nomination was also on my list.

Since no Day titles have been nominated yet, I will nominate Every Day.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13583 comments I'm going to nominate Her Last Day Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1) by T.R. Ragan

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9766 comments I'd like to nominate The Night Watch.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13583 comments Margo wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Night Watch."

I thought you nominated the same book as Sarah for a minute! lol I had to go check.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15081 comments Haha, me too Kristie!

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments There is also Night Watch with the same name too. Confusing or what !

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 250 comments I nominate Five Days in May if plurals are allowed.

Five Days in May by Ninie Hammon

message 18: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2377 comments I second Sarah's Night Watch. I bought that series at a thrift store a while ago and have been meaning to read it.

message 19: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2426 comments I second Peggy’s nomination - The House at the Edge of Night

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48697 comments Sarah wrote: "There is also Night Watch with the same name too. Confusing or what !"

Might need to edit to add the author's name so it's easy to see the difference.

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15081 comments Margo, did you have only exact words in mind or are plurals allowed too?

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9766 comments I think plurals would work.

message 23: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9766 comments Peggy wrote: "I nominate The House at the Edge of Night"

I love that cover!

message 24: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9766 comments Kristie wrote: "I have so many books that fit this theme! I'm guessing no imbedded words since it wasn't specified, but do plurals count?"

Sorry Kristie, I didn't see your post. Plurals are fine.

message 25: by Jayme (last edited May 16, 2020 07:13AM) (new)

Jayme | 2389 comments I'm not sure if there is a criteria for nominating recently published books. If not, I'll nominate The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich.

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13583 comments Margo wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I have so many books that fit this theme! I'm guessing no imbedded words since it wasn't specified, but do plurals count?"

Sorry Kristie, I didn't see your post. Plurals are fine."

No worries. :) Thanks, Margo.

message 27: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9766 comments Jayme wrote: "I'm not sure if there is a criteria for nominating recently published books. If not, I'll nominate The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich."

Damn, I want that book and I can't get it on audio!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.