Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Rainbow Riddle
This topic is about The Rainbow Riddle
#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 5: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1087 comments Mod
Chapter 5: The Double Wedding

Suddenly the orchestra which had been playing softly, broke into “The Wedding March” by Lohengrin. Judy was thrilled, imagining words that would remind her of Peter. Judy overheard people commenting about the rainbow and the voices brought her mind back to earth. The procession had started. First came the ushers, then Lorraine’s attendants 2 by 2. Then Lois, Birdella and then Lorraine. Judy thought Lorraine was very nervous. Lorraine was beautiful, if a little pale, in a dress almost like Judy’s. Her veil was a little longer, but not long enough to be held by a page. She wore pearls instead of a locket and her bouquet of white orchids trembled a little as she walked, leaning on her father’s arm. Judy’s bridesmaid’s followed Lorraine but not too closely. Then Honey, Roberta & Judy. Judy was afraid that Roberta would make a mistake and didn’t take a breath until she was with Peter at the right of the altar. Lorraine and Arthur were to the left and everyone else in a semi circle around the trellis. Donald Carter was Arthur’s best man but Judy only had eyes for Peter. “It’s there,” she thought happily. She couldn’t have told anyone exactly what it was. The indefinable something for which she looked had no word to describe it. And yet that something was her reason for loving Peter.

The minister began to read “Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God…Wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together after God’s ordinance in the holy estate of matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, keep thee only onto her…as long as ye both shall live.?” Peter forgot himself and answered a little too soon. Judy considered the extra “I will ” to make their vows more binding. Both fathers stood at the altar during this waiting to give their daughters away. There was just the suspicion of huskiness in Dr Bolton’s voice. Judy could tell that he was relieved when his part was over . Mrs. Bolton was not crying , but there was an audible sniff from Mrs. Lee. Judy’s hand was in Peter’s now. “I, Peter, take thee Judy to my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish until death us do part.” Judy repeated the words to Peter, Horace had the ring handy, Honey held Judy’s bouquet and Peter slipped the ring on Judy’s finger. The ring had orange blossom leaves that looked like little ‘y’s around it. Peter kissed Judy and told her that while he had kissed her when she was still in pigtails, this was the first he had kissed her as Mrs. Peter Dobbs. Solemnity had been forgotten once the benediction was over and the strains of Mendelssohn burst forth. Judy wanted to kiss Peter’s grandparents first but many people crowded in.

“You look positively radiant, Judy,” declared Kay Vincent with an unaccustomed ring of sincerity in her voice. “I simply hate myself for once trying to persuade Arthur & Lorraine to not include you & Peter in their wedding plans. ” “Did you?” asked Judy. “I wouldn’t have known it if you hadn’t told me. We are having separate receptions. Lorraine thought it would be better as there simply isn’t room enough in either house for this crowd.” Kay agrees that it is a crowd and asks where Judy’s little factory girl friend is. Judy tells her that she can hear her on the radio later as Irene is doing a special program for them. Once Judy would have flared up at Kay’s remarks but she had learned that it was not worth getting upset by people like Kay Vincent. “I’ ll hear it then,” Kay answered awkwardly. “Well be happy, Judy. You and Peter both. I hear you are going to live in your grandparents house back in Dry Brook Hollow. Will Peter’s grandparents live with you?” Judy glanced at Peter. The question was one that neither of them answered. Peter’s grandparents would be welcome, but Mrs. Dobbs was staunch in her refusal to be a burden on the young people. Judy answers that they haven’t decided. Then Kay asks “What’ s Peter going to do, give up law and become a farmer?” Judy and Peter joke about what they would raise and then Judy invites Kay to visit them some time. The photographer from the Daily Herald is there to take pictures since Lorraine is the publisher’s daughter.

When Judy and Lorraine have a moment alone, they are happy that everything went very well. Lorraine admits that she was nervous. Judy says she was too and even Grandma Dobbs told Judy that she was happy to see Judy safely married to Peter. Lorraine says Grandma doesn't know Judy very well if she thinks Judy is safe. Judy agrees and says today is an exception. Roberta says it is because she didn't open the package. Judy then tells Peter about the mysterious package. She says she saved it to open with him. He says good and reminds her about the mysterious package that arrived at Judy’s shower. He says it sounds like another one of her mysteries. She corrects him with ‘our mysteries” She says she wishes she could be with him to help him out of jams in the FBI, but admits it isn't very practical. ‘Hardly,” Peter admitted. “But you can help in one way. Well, Angel, Mr. Trent, who is in charge of the nearest field office, mapped out an itinerary for our honeymoon. But of course we don't have to follow it unless you want to.” “But of course I want to. Oh this is wonderful!” Judy breathed excitedly. “What is it all about?” Peter says they just have to keep their eyes and ears open. Judy is excited over a real mystery. She is also excited about opening the present. “I didn't promise not to open it after the wedding. And now it is after the wedding. Honestly Peter. I don't feel like a married woman.” “You don't look like one either. You look like an inquisitive angel. I'll tell you more about Mr. Trent's plan when there aren't so many people around.” They notice that someone has tied old shoes to their car and people were getting ready to throw rice. Judy and Peter ran to the car. It was good to be alone and Peter held Judy close. “You haven't changed a bit,” he said tenderly. “This mysterious package you were telling me about proves it..” “It won't be a mysterious package for very long,” Judy declared. “We are going to open it as soon as we reach the house.”

Even though I know it is the custom now to write your own wedding vows, I think it is hard to do better than the traditional ones. Aren't they beautiful? They were just slightly different than the Catholic ones I am used to. I never heard the “God's ordinance' part before. I liked that ’obey’ wasn't in there. Isn't Kay a pain?

The descriptions of the wedding are lovely. There are so few weddings in series books because there are so few brides. Judy Bolton is the only one among her sister girl detective heroines; Nancy Drew, Connie Blair, Cherry Ames, and Vicki Barr never wed during the course of their adventures. Margaret Sutton was so ahead of her time in creating the girl detective who gracefully aged and devoted much of her life to addressing social wrongdoings.

I agree with Faye that Kay is pain, but Judy handled her so well at the wedding when telling the Vincent girl that she wouldn't have known that Kay had asked Lorraine and Arthur not to be married in a double wedding. Judy's gracious response was an absolute correct answer to Kay's cattiness.

Kay, as a character, is realistic, though. We have all known people who are unkind, catty and mean. The characters in the Judy Bolton novels are multi-dimensional and unlike the bland characters in other series books of similar type. As much as I love Nancy Drew, she and her friends are two dimensional at best.

It is very characteristic of Judy to want to investigate a mystery while on her honeymoon. She is thrilled that David Trent is planning an itinerary for the bridal couple and a chance for a new adventure!

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 519 comments I loved that Margaret went into so much detail. It's too bad that everyone was not seated though. I always think it is such a dramatic moving moment in the wedding ceremony when the congregation stands when the wedding march starts and the bride starts down the aisle.
Kay is so well drawn here, I agree. She is just incapable of being nice even when she is trying to be!

message 4: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
I just posted another picture of the 50th Anniversary celebration. One of the brides had borrowed my veil to wear during the ceremony. Neil among his other talents was often a paid wedding photographer.

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 86 comments Rachelle wrote: "I just posted another picture of the 50th Anniversary celebration. One of the brides had borrowed my veil to wear during the ceremony. Neil among his other talents was often a paid wedding photogra..."

Rachelle lived seeing the photos! How fun that must have been and I love seeing the dress colors. Helps to visualize the wedding!
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🌈

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 171 comments William wrote: "The descriptions of the wedding are lovely. There are so few weddings in series books because there are so few brides. Judy Bolton is the only one among her sister girl detective heroines; Nancy Dr..."

Kay is worse than a pain. I think she is evil pure and simple. What a horrible thing to say on Judy's wedding day. I always pitied Lorraine because she depends so heavily on Arthur, who really doesn't love her, just more or less accepts her as his fate. And I find him arrogant and shallow.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 171 comments Betsy wrote: "Rachelle wrote: "I just posted another picture of the 50th Anniversary celebration. One of the brides had borrowed my veil to wear during the ceremony. Neil among his other talents was often a paid..."

Where are they posted, Rachelle?

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 86 comments Cindy wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Rachelle wrote: "I just posted another picture of the 50th Anniversary celebration. One of the brides had borrowed my veil to wear during the ceremony. Neil among his other talents wa..."

Cindy if you click on reply on the email it will take you to goodreads, scroll to the top of the page and in the upper right corner you click on photos and it will open up a page with photos at the top.

message 9: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
I hope I will one day find my album with other pictures that were taken on Phantom Friend trips. I found duplicates in my boxes and had put together a jump drive as an X-mas exchange gift for our last exchange.

message 10: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments Who played the people in the wedding party of r the 50th reenactment?

message 11: by J. Michael (last edited Dec 18, 2020 09:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. Michael | 130 comments William wrote: "The descriptions of the wedding are lovely. There are so few weddings in series books because there are so few brides. Judy Bolton is the only one among her sister girl detective heroines ..."

Yes, the only other heroines among the series that I'm aware of who got married were Ruth Fielding, who also became a mother before the series ended, and the insufferable Elsie Dinsmore, who judging by the titles of her books became not only a mother but a grandmother as well (I gave up on the series after reading the first couple of titles).

Among the boys series, the first generation of Rover Boys all married, which gave rise to the second series featuring their sons, and Tom Swift eventually married his sweetheart Mary Nestor, which led to Tom Swift, Jr. and Tom Swift III and IV.

Rebekah wrote: "I loved that Margaret went into so much detail. ..."

Me too, Rebekah! And I find it very gratifying and appropriate that Margaret and her readers get to fully experience this important event in Judy's life.

J. Michael wrote: << ... the insufferable Elsie Dinsmore, who judging by the titles of her books became not only a mother but a grandmother as well (I gave up on the series after reading the first couple of titles). ...>>

I never read any Elsie Dinsmore books although I have reads comments about them from others who have read them. I have never heard anyone praise them!

In addition to being a mother and grandmother, Elsie is also a widow. One of the later book titles reflect this. I can't imagine a child reader wanting to read about a widow!

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 519 comments Now I simply must read an Elsie Dinsmore!

Rebekah wrote: "Now I simply must read an Elsie Dinsmore!"

After you have, Becky, you must let us know what you think! I'm somewhat curious to read about her widowhood. To me, that seems such an inappropriate and depressing topic for a children's book.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 519 comments Looks like Amazon has Martha Finley's complete works on kindle for 99 cents. Including Widowhood, Bill! I'm pulling that trigger!

J. Michael | 130 comments Rebekah wrote: "Looks like Amazon has Martha Finley's complete works on kindle for 99 cents. Including Widowhood, Bill! I'm pulling that trigger!"

How fun, Rebekah! I think you're probably paying 94 cents too much, but I can't wait to hear your opinion of the books!

Rebekah wrote: "Looks like Amazon has Martha Finley's complete works on kindle for 99 cents. Including Widowhood, Bill! I'm pulling that trigger!"

I have Kobo, not Kindle, and Martha Finley's books are available for sale through Kobo, but more expensive than the Kindle price. I don't think it's worth paying a lot for them, but, I too, am curious to learn what you think of the series.

Love Michael's comment that, at 99 cents, you maybe be paying 94 cents too much! Time will tell if this is true!

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 519 comments I think you're probably paying 94 cents too much, but I can't wait to hear your opinion of the books!"
So funny. I've got so many books that I'm reading or about to read that it might be awhile.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 519 comments "

I have Kobo, not Kindle, and Martha Finley's book..."

I used to have kobo for my audiobooks because it was $5 less than audible. Then Audible had a black Friday or cyber Monday sale where you got 12 credits for 99.99 so i switched.