Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Books Published 2020

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I am challenging myself to read more books published in 2020 this winter (summer for you Northern Hemisphere people). I generally read backlist titles but for this year I want to shake it up a little bit.

If you follow me on Goodreads you may have seen many books added to my Want to Read list over the past day or two and that's because I have been looking through summer reading lists and adding to my TBR.

So of course I came to my favourite people to give book recommendations. If you have read any amazing books published in 2020, please do let me know. If you have read any books that were terrible and published in 2020 let me know that too.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I read a fairly good number of books published in the current year, but don’t typically hit my stride with that for another couple months. Let me check my shelf and see what I have read or perhaps what I am very excited to read and get back to you...

message 3: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 712 comments If you are willing to try a YA read I would highly recommend Palo Duro by Andrew J. Brandt. It was just published earlier this month and even though it is technically YA it is so well written that it does not read like a YA book. Available in paperback or on Kindle.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7453 comments I have not read this but I have the read author before and expect it to be good

The Book of Lost Friends

Some I am looking forward to:

These Ghosts Are Family

Sisters of Sword and Song

A Deadly Education

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8512 comments I saw this thread and I mistakenly assumed that it was the May 15 bingo pick! Lol!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m reading If I Had Your Face and enjoying it very much. I’ll refer to my list and come back. My reading does tend to be mostly new releases these days.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Alas, most of what I’ve read of late was published in the latter half of 2019. The two from 2020 that captured my interest were My Dark Vanessa, and Weather.

message 8: by Jen K (last edited May 15, 2020 01:09PM) (new)

Jen K | 1226 comments I've been getting quite a few 2020 books coming up that I recommended my library buy. So far, I've read 8 this year but 5 were non-fiction, 1 was a sequel and 2 fiction.

The 2 fiction were very different but I enjoyed both, 4 stars.
Run Me to Earth by Paul Yoon
The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

A bunch more came in a couple of days ago, I had to extend their holds but will share when I read them. It's fun to have a bit of a mix.

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments 2020 Books I've read and enjoyed
If I Had Your Face
Dear Edward

2020 Books I read and thought were Meh
Darling Rose Gold

2020 Books on my TBR
Sex and Vanity- same author as Crazy Rich Asians
My Dark Vanessa
Catherine House
The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires- lots of chatter around PBT around this one
The Honey-Don't List- Love the author(s)
The Guest List

message 10: by NancyJ (last edited May 15, 2020 01:45PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5219 comments I read:
The Vanished Birds - 4 stars, sweeping, beautifully written, evocative, sci-fi, interesting female characters.
Tell Me Lies - 3 stars, pretty good thriller/mystery/

I sampled these and really want to read them:
Dear Edward
Light Changes Everything
Hannah's War

Sampled, and will probably read/finish:
Big Lies in a Small Town
When We Were Vikings
In An Instant
My Dark Vanessa

Sampled audio and did NOT like:
Catch Me When I Fall (Sounded too melodramatic; the book might be better)

I want to read:
Where the Lost Wander
Long Bright River
The Sun Down Motel

message 11: by LibraryCin (last edited May 15, 2020 06:56PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Now that I'm on Netgalley, I actually do, occasionally, read books published in the current year!

I've read 4 so far that were published this year (3 historical fiction and 1 thriller) and I think they all got at least 4 stars from me:

The Brideship Wife / Leslie Howard

The Other Mrs. / Mary Kubica

The Forgotten Home Child / Genevieve Graham

The Girls with No Names / Serena Burdick

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I've never been a current year reader other than my favorite authors new releases.

message 13: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5757 comments I generally read quite a few books released for the current year.

Books which I have read that have been published in 2020 include, starting with my favorite:

Sin Eater -Megan Campisi
How Much of These Hills Is Gold- C Pam Zhang
The New Life of Hugo Gardner - Louis Begley
The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz - Erik Larsen
Real Life - Brandon Taylor
Run Me to Earth - Paul Yoon
The Vanished Birds - Simon Jimenez

message 14: by Nicole R (last edited May 17, 2020 03:50PM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I am finally getting back about which 2020 books I have read so far! I have only read 8 to this point, but I will probably end up hitting around 45. The ones I have read are:

Tweet Cute
Ignite on Contact
A Good Neighborhood
Hideaway
If I Never Met You
The Holdout
And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
You Are Not Alone

Honestly, I wouldn't say any of them are standouts.

I also have a "2020 new releases" shelf with over 80 books on it to choose from if you want to check it out! You can see it at: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...