What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-Fi/fantasy about a female astronaut that brings a parasite back from Mars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Ward | 3 comments I read this book while in jr high/high school, so sometime between 1994-2000. It wasn’t hot off the presses when I read it, but it wasn’t found in ancient archives either so I would say it was most likely published in the late 80’s or early 90’s. As far as I can remember, it was about a female astronaut that returns to the US from a mission to Mars and unknowingly brings with her a deadly parasite. I would like to think I would recognize the title and/or cover but I’ve searched so much at this point that I’m not really sure. The only place I haven’t tried is my local library. HELP!

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1513 comments Was this aimed at adults or teen-agers? Do you remember anything about the cover? Can you tell us anything else about the parasite? The plot sounds a bit like the 50s b-movie Night Of The Blood Beast, but as far as I can tell, there wasn't a novelization of it.

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Ward | 3 comments As far as I can recall she was more of a scientist that went to Mars on a mission to collect samples of some kind. I can’t for the life of me remember what. When she returned to Earth, she was doing work in the lab with these samples and determined there was a parasite which eventually overwhelmed the host body, killing it, and went searching for another host.

It was definitely geared more towards adults than my teenaged self, although I remember enjoying it quite a bit. And I had the feeling that it was set in the age in which it was written or the very near future. As for the cover, I seem to recall it being red and black or orange and black but I’ve looked at so many covers that I could be wrong.

message 4: by Ingo (last edited May 18, 2020 02:09AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 604 comments Sounds a little like the movie Lifeforce, and that is based on a book:
The Space Vampires by Colin Wilson The Space Vampires

Not having read the book, I cannot say how much is changed, and it most probably is not the book the OP searched for, but maybe this will point in the right direction, looking through lists with this book and lists "people who read this also read ...". From the blurb I think, it is quite like the movie.

The movie is fondly remembered by me with a full frontal nude scene of Mathilda May and a surprisingly good cast with, among others, Peter Firth (Spooks) and Patrick Stewart (STNG), while the plot is somewhat of a campy SF/Horror mess.

message 5: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Ward | 3 comments @Ingo the plot does seem very similar but this isn’t it. The novel I’m thinking of is American, or at least written in that style and I’m pretty sure it was written more recently than the mid 70’s. But we are on the right track!