What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Thriller/Mystery. Detective searching for (autistic?) mentally challenged man's sister regarding their wealthy father's death, only siblings alive in family. Book starts with father dying or being killed. Read late 1990s/early 2000s.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lake (last edited May 15, 2020 08:41AM) (new)

Lake | 6 comments The book starts off with a man dying or being killed (outside) and police detectives are searching for (autistic?) mentally challenged man's sister. I don't think the brother committed the murder. The detective eventually finds her living in a motel I think along with her young son who could her brother's child. The sister ran away from home years ago after being pregnant with her brother's child (I think). He raped her for years not knowing what he was doing was wrong. The detective tracking down his sister falls for her and it's written from his prospective. The first assault between the brother and sister takes place outside, I think their car broke down or they got lost hiking, it was pretty muddy I think. The sister allows the assault to continue to appease his and I think the father finds out and is furious. The book does have some disturbing parts regarding the incest. I think the family was pretty wealthy and lived in a remote home in the woods. The book was a paperback I read during the late 1990's or early 2000's. I believe it was written by a male author, and I think his name is Matt or something like that - it's a fairly common name (I think).

message 2: by Lake (new)

Lake | 6 comments BUMP

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33526 comments Mod
Please note you can bump your request (post a comment) every 30+ days -- or sooner if you remember more information. Not more often because this group is so large. Here are the Group Rules.

message 4: by Lake (new)

Lake | 6 comments Can I BUMP this?

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 25, 2020 08:53AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1685 comments Lake wrote: "Can I BUMP this?"

Not yet; you should wait at least 30 days from the last post (unless you have new information to add; you can do that any time). So you should have waited until July 3. Now, you can't bump again until July 25.

If you can't count to 30, a good way to remember is just to post on the same day every month. The moderators are usually pretty cool about it, even in March.

If there's additional activity on the thread between now and then, though, you have to wait and bump 30 days after the last post. The waiting period is 30 days after the last post, not 30 days after the last bump.

message 6: by Lake (new)

Lake | 6 comments BUMP

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33526 comments Mod
I added some details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

- We know early on that their father is the man dying in the first scene?

message 8: by Lake (new)

Lake | 6 comments Thank you! Yes he is dead at the beginning.