The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > Columbo / Midsummer Murders

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Russell (pezzaruss) | 3 comments Hi All,

I'm looking for something to read in the "Columbo" style or even Midsummer Murders type of format. Any ideas?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) I bookmarked this thread as I was also curious, but don’t see any replies yet. I wanted to say Maigret, but probably not as lighthearted. Out of curiosity I did an internet search... only knowing the Peter Falk series on TV I didn’t know there were also Colombo books. And Midsummer Murders is supposed to be based on Chief Inspector Barnaby Novels Book Series by Caroline Graham.
Still, I hope there are more responses.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Russell (pezzaruss) | 3 comments Brenda wrote: "I bookmarked this thread as I was also curious, but don’t see any replies yet. I wanted to say Maigret, but probably not as lighthearted. Out of curiosity I did an internet search... only knowing t..."
The Columbo books have been written by several writers over the years it was popular.
As you say it's a fairly light-hearted progression towards the outcome. However, I quite like the fact that the Inspector knows the murderer from the offset, but has to prove it.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) Ah yes, and he was generally looked at as a bumbling nincompoop, when the opposite was true and most times one step ahead.
It’s fun to have a good mystery but also have some laughs along the way without it being artificial or cheesy.

message 5: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments Wasn’t really a fan of Columbo. I don’t enjoy knowing who did it up front, prefer being surprised at the end. But I do love Midsomer Murders.
There are a few series that are similar. One is Louise Penny’s Chief Insp Gamache series that takes place in the small Québec village of Three Pines. Another very enjoyable series, although the murder(s) don’t always take place in a small village (mainly set in London) is by Deborah Crombie, and the detectives are Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James.
Hope you enjoy these Paul

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Russell (pezzaruss) | 3 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Wasn’t really a fan of Columbo. I don’t enjoy knowing who did it up front, prefer being surprised at the end. But I do love Midsomer Murders.
There are a few series that are similar. One is [autho..."

I understand your dislike for knowing the murderer upfront, but I like to see how the detective solves/proves the case.

message 7: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments I did enjoy the tv show but you always knew the “big” guest star would be put in cuffs 😉.......and it was amusing to see how he caught them in the end.