Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > [Poll Book Tally] Grand Ambition by Lisa Michaels 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7011 comments This is a novel based on a real young, married couple who wanted to go down the entire grand canyon before the damn was built--and she was the first woman to ever attempt to go through this. There are two main POVs--one is the man's dad and the other is the couple's (sometimes each of them, so in a sense you could say 3 POVs). The writing is quite good--I liked the one for the couple's better, but I wish I had done a bit more checking on the real couple first. That said, if you are looking for a fictional adventure novel set in the 1920s and like the great outdoors, this could be a good one for you. We do see some of the couple's backstory--most of this is fiction since there were few records left, but the main things are fact.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2137 comments I quite liked this one when I read it a few months ago. What an adventurous couple!

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7011 comments Ellen wrote: "I quite liked this one when I read it a few months ago. What an adventurous couple!"

They were very much so, but I am not one to understand the draw of such dangerous activities. I don't mind some adventure, but not this sort of life or death stuff. I take my dad's motto "Why suffer your pleasure?" And yet some people just love the idea of these dangerous high climbs, running these very dangerous rapids in the cold, etc and other things.

message 4: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5229 comments Karin, I know what you mean. I just don't get why people take dangerous big risks, or even moderate risks for hobbies. I asked a marathoner about this once, and she said that meeting a difficult goal did wonders for her self esteem and confidence in every other aspects of her life. Some people are thrill seekers, or only feel proud of accomplishments that were dangerous or that no one else has done.