Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Durarara!!, Vol. 1
This topic is about Durarara!!, Vol. 1
Light Novels > Durarara!!, Vol. 1 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1488 comments Mod
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE DOWNRIGHT WEIRD.

The Ikebukuro district in Tokyo is full of interesting people. A boy longing for the extraordinary. A hotheaded punk. An airheaded pseudo stalker. An information broker who works for kicks. An underground doctor who specializes in truly desperate patients. A high school student infatuated with a monster. And a headless rider on a pitch-black motorcycle. Their story may not be a heartwarming one, but as it turns out, even weirdos like these sometimes fall in love.

There's no shortage of bizarre characters in Ikebukuro--read the light novel series that started the anime and manga phenomenon!

Discuss Durarara!!, Vol. 1 here!

Reading Schedule
5/31-6/6: Prologue - Chapter 2
6/7-6/13: Chapter 3 - 6
6/14-6/20: Chapter 7 - 8
6/21-6/27: Chapter 9 - 10
6/28- 7/4: Last Chapter, both Epilogues

Howard | 65 comments Just finished the prologue and first two chapters. First impressions are random and violent.

Howard wrote: "Just finished the prologue and first two chapters. First impressions are random and violent."

Ha ha, yeah, that pretty much sums this up. I watched the anime a while back and it was kinda crazy.

How are you enjoying it so far?

Howard | 65 comments It's interesting so far, not really sure if it's good or not yet. I started to watch the anime but got distracted and never finished Season 1, so I'm looking forward to this book. Maybe it will make me go back and watch the show again.

So now that we're in the home stretch, what did you all think of this one? And who was your favorite character?

With an ensemble cast like this, I always find it fun to see all the crazy story threads and character interactions, so I'm enjoying this one. There's a little too much telling rather than showing in spots, but generally, I like the writing.

Howard | 65 comments I'm torn between Celty and Shizuo. Both are pretty straight forward and likeable characters.

Gord I discovered that my library actually has this but it's in their collection simply as DRRR. I've requested it but who knows when I'll see it.

Gord I also finally finished this one and this light novel had a real interesting idea to it. I enjoy urban fantasy and the idea of this secret world hidden within plain sight. This novel has all of that and spades in my opinion. The one big criticism I have is the monster roster of characters. For such a short novel you are introduced to a ludicrous amount of characters. As a result it was rather hard to develop a connection to any of the characters. Before you had a chance to really get to know someone you were moving on to a new chapter and even more new characters to learn about. It wasn't until the end where things started to come together where it started to feel cohesive. Even then there were characters that felt like it was pointless to have introduced them already.