WBTPLibrary Book Club discussion

Book Woman of Troublesome Creek > Discussion Question #3

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
How do you think Cussy's father feels after he marries her off to an abusive man? Why do you think he agrees to Charlie Frazier's proposal in the first place? What do you imagine life was like for an unwed woman at that time?

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Zutz | 19 comments I think for her father especially although Fraziers did have a reputation of being not a good man the potential of a suitor in a situation where one might not come along especially the fact that she is blue held more promise then the idea of her being alone and maybe never married. I think ultimately her father worried about her when he was gone. I think he didn’t know the extent of the abuse when he found out obviously he took care of it. I’m sure her father held some guilt but I think ultimately he was acting out of the best interest for Cussy.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Erica that Cussy's father was worried about her being left alone after he passes. These were extremely difficult times for women to be on there own, especially in this area. I also think he underestimated the cruelty Cussy would be subjected to. Thankfully he acted in her best interest by bringing her back home.
Amanda

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 4 comments Agreed. I think he felt it was what he was supposed to do not necessarily feel like it was the right thing to do.

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
I agree that he was doing what he thought was in Cussy's best interest. I think he knew Charlie Frazier wasn't a good man but he knew Cussy was strong willed and would hopefully hold her own in the marriage. Her father thought that would be a better life for her than being an unwed woman, let alone a blue woman, after he passed. -Jolie