WBTPLibrary Book Club discussion

Book Woman of Troublesome Creek > Discussion Question #2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
Over the years missionaries, government employees, social workers, and various religious groups have visited Kentucky to try to modernize and reform "hillfolk" to their standards. Do you think Cussy faced this kind of prejudice from the outside world? Is there any prejudice or stigma still associated with the people of Appalachia today?

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Zutz | 19 comments I think that rural Appalachia does face a lot of stigma. It has never fully lost the inbred reputation it once held. It is also the cradle of the current opioid epidemic. Which also attributes to its continued poverty. It can be said that the people of Appalachia live simply but it’s easy to do when you have nothing. I don’t know that we’ve ever done away with the idea of the people of the holler. I think now more then anything it is worn as a badge of honor. Much like the people of Detroit carry that as a badge of honor. Now with social media and reality tv it’s glorified in a way. Shows like moonshiners and swamp people come to mind if there is a pilot for the holler people I will most definitely tune in.

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
I think you're right that the stigma still exists Erica - like people of Detroit are stereotyped, so are the people of Appalachia. I never thought about it from the social media/reality TV angle, that's a really good point!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder if someone will read this book and think it would be great for TV? Hello Reese Witherspoon and company?
And I agree with you both, certain areas of the country are known through their stereotypes instead of their geographical location.