Play Book Tag discussion

Lock Every Door
This topic is about Lock Every Door
Archive: Other Books > Lock Every Door, by Riley Sager- 4 Stars!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments Wonderful take on a psychological thriller with some horror elements thrown in. This is the 2nd of Riley Sager (who is a man with a pseudonym)'s books I've read- and they have similar styles and vibes. This one was an almost 'locked room' mystery-being set in a mysterious apartment building. Twisty, turny, there is definitely some suspended disbelief- but hey- I dug it anyway.

Jules has a tragic past with her family, and is now trying to build her life back up and get off her friend's couch. She finds a newspaper ad that leads her to housesit for a famous old apartment building. The rules of housesitting are strict and extreme. She meets other housesitters, and they are fishy about the tenants and the happenings going on. Who should Jules trust? What happened to the housesitter before her? Questions questions!

This book uses the duel timeline of 5 days ago, counting down to the present- along with the present looking back. I think this definitely was used wisely, and the ending twist had a bigger impact because of it. The twists kept me guessing, and Jules is believable, likable, and you want to root for her to get the answers she is looking for. Can't say anything more because ya know- spoilers!

message 2: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3256 comments I love that timeline device where they countdown to the present or even if it is flipped. Some people are annoyed by that but I love it. Or when we flip back and forth between timelines from past to present leading up to an incident or something...

I like Riley Sager. He's similar to B.A. Paris but his stories have more horror / dark elements. I'll read this eventually.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Karin | 7018 comments I liked this when I read it for January thriller, but not as much as you did--it was a solid 3 star like for me, and I think the countdown was well done.