Pick-a-Shelf discussion

The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)
This topic is about The Summer Garden
Buddy Reads (Just Read It!) > The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lusie (last edited May 14, 2020 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments Dee and I are going to read The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3) together.

We are starting at Sunday 31st May. Feel free to join if you want to.

message 2: by Tien (new) - added it

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8583 comments Mod
Just wishing you luck!

You won't need it, Lusie, I'm sure, but Dee... :p

message 3: by Lusie (last edited May 15, 2020 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments lol Tien. Hopefully my enthusiasm will help Dee along the way ;)

message 4: by Tien (new) - added it

How are you ladies going with this?

Just curious...

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments We start with this on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it!

message 6: by Tien (new) - added it

ah, I see... I thought you guys have started already.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Not that I'm going to change my mind... I've already got rid of my books lol

message 7: by Dee (last edited May 28, 2020 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments Lol! Like I told Lusie - I previously DNF’d this do trying again

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments Already? lol Tien. Sounds liek you reallt had enough of Tatiana and Alexander.

Dee, I'm glad you are going to give the book another try. I hope you are in the right mood for it.

message 9: by Tien (new) - added it

I had to act or I may keep it collecting dust for another decade lol

message 10: by Lusie (last edited May 31, 2020 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments After reading chapter 1

I have read the first chapter and think it's rather depressing. They hardly speak to each other, act distant and have lots of meaningless sex. I hope it won't stay like this for long. We had some flashback to the past, but very short ones. I'm not interested in reading about Tania's past when she was 14 years old.

I'll probably read more today

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments I have a couple books for src I need to finish up today - so will prob start tonight

message 12: by Lusie (last edited May 31, 2020 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments That's fine with me Dee.
Good luck finishing up those other books. How many books do you read at a time?

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments Normally 3-4 - I have a short attention span so I jump around

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments That's a lot. I usually only read 1 at a time, sometimes 2

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments I've now read chapter 1-6

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Tien (new) - added it

Lusie wrote: "After reading chapter 1

I have read the first chapter and think it's rather depressing. They hardly speak to each other, act distant and have lots of meaningless sex. I hope it won't stay like thi..."

I. am. so. very. glad. I've discarded the notion of completing this trilogy LOL

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments lol Tien. I think it was a good decision for you to stop reading. I think it would have annoyed you a lot.

message 18: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments dang lusie you are just flying through! i read through chapter 1 last night - i think i stopped around half-way through last time IIRC

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments Dee, about halfway through the book is not bad at all. Do you remember why you gave up? Maybe you can use a spoiler if you think it might spoil things if you tell me. Then I can read it later on.

I started reading a second book hoping that will help with not getting get a lot ahead of you. Sounds like I failed with that already lol

I hope it is not a struggle for you to get through the book. As you can see I didn't have much difficulties with it. Though at the moment it's a 3 star rate from me. I'm not loving it yet, but there is some potential for the story to get better soon. So I hope that will happen in the next chapters.

message 20: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments i honestly can't remember it was several years ago - it might have just been that i got distracted - lol! but thinking back i think because the first 2 were more action/war based and this one is much more home life/recovery and was just repetative

i just finished up chapter 2

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments lol Being distracted happens to me sometimes too. That's how I stopped reading Game of thrones.

I hope you like it more this time.

I'm not going to read this book today. I'll stick to the other one I'm reading.

message 22: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments I’m up to chapter 7 right now (just finished the interlude piece)...I mean it’s not horrible - but much more conflict driven (between tania/alex than action driven (if that makes sense)

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments I haven't read the interllude yet, but will probably cath up soon :)

Yes it makes sense. I agree with that

message 24: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments ok i'm up to chapter 8 - but its like epically long (100+pgs) - i think this is about where i got distracted last time - but that chapter was soo long and it had like mini-chapters in it

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments I've read up to chapter 10.
I'm not loving the book, but don't hate it either. I think Alexander and Tania hardly have sweet moments together. So far the book is a 3 star rate for me

message 26: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments i'm up to chapter 12 - which is past wehre i made it last time - but so much bickering and just ugh...i wish she had left it at 2 books because right now this one is bringing down the overall rating for the trilogy - it will likely be a 2 star read for me

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments You are right they keep arguing. I don't like it either.

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments My rating dropped to 2 stars as well. I think I'm in chapter 11 or 12, not sure. I can see why you stopped reading. I think I wouldn't mind stopping.

message 29: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments i'm going to stick it out now dammit! you convinced me! but probably will only do a chapter or so a day - i think there are like 19 total - so we're more than halfway there....

message 30: by Lusie (last edited Jun 07, 2020 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments Instead of giving in to that feeling I finished the book instead. Sorry for rushing ahead. I just wanted to be done with it lol

Good luck finishing it Dee! I'm afraid that for me the rating was only 2 stars. I had such high hopes for this book

message 31: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments is this where i get to say i told you so? ;)

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments Haha. Yes you may say that lol

message 33: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments i wish she had just left it with the 2 books and then just done a solid epilogue and none of this marriage conflict shit (I know that's life, but i don't need that in a romance)

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments I agree, it would have been better to stop reading after the first 2 books like Tien did.

message 35: by Tien (last edited Jun 08, 2020 03:12PM) (new) - added it

Dee wrote: "i wish she had just left it with the 2 books and then just done a solid epilogue and none of this marriage conflict shit (I know that's life, but i don't need that in a romance)"

Phew... I'm not reading the rest of the comments coz I really don't want to know what's happening in this book BUT I had to see if you finished & your final thought, sooooo GLAD I ditched it!

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments Tien wrote: "Dee wrote: "i wish she had just left it with the 2 books and then just done a solid epilogue and none of this marriage conflict shit (I know that's life, but i don't need that in a romance)"

Phew...."

Great decision Tien! This book was not worth it

message 37: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments finished last night cause insomia...

honestly i hated h)ow it ended all the here is there perfect family - because number 1 the first above the elbow amputee wasn't kept in the military until the mid-2000's (because i know him) - even though the first below knee amputee (Carl Brashaer - men of honor - was before that) - but also all the chairman of the joint chiefs and stuff - because that stuff is easily researchable (https://www.britannica.com/topic/Chai...) - i guess i don't like fudging history just to have a good story - make him an assistant or something else but for historical fiction you shouldn't make significant changes to history to fit your story....

that is actually making me debate dropping it to 1 star

message 38: by Lusie (last edited Jun 09, 2020 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments I was thinking about giving it only 1 star as well, but not sure yet

Congrats on being done! It was not easy and we both made it :D

message 39: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments honestly it were her changes to history that made me drop it down...just the story - 2 stars but when you claim key historical positons etc that are easily searchable...nope