Art Lovers discussion

Art Lovers News Corner > Rembrandt's Nachtwacht

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2758 comments The Rijksmuseum just published the biggest picture of Rembrandt's Nachtwacht ever.
You can zoom in until it is like you're almost touching the painting with your nose ;-)

http://hyper-resolution.org/view.html...

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1897 comments Oh, that's fun! I have seen the Nightwatch in situ, but they sure don't let anyone get as close as this.

I love getting close to 17th century Dutch paintings and watching a elaborate piece of lace turn into mere flecks of white paint, and the shine on the side of a goblet become a glob of yellow pigment.

message 3: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2758 comments Indeed, those artist were real masters of tricking the eye to see details that simply were not there.

For members who are reluctant to click on the link, here’s an example how close you can get:

message 4: by siriusedward (last edited May 16, 2020 12:02AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 156 comments Thanks Dirk.
I did check that out.
It was amazing to see it close.
There are some in Google arts and culture too that you can zoom in.

message 5: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 28 comments Oh wow! That was amazing Dirk, thank you. You can't ever get any closer than that even seeing it in Rijksmuseum.

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8333 comments That's amazing! How a shine on the armor can be seen up close as a flick of paint. Not quite round, so how would he know what shape would produce the shimmer of gold he is looking for to make that shine on a much larger piece of armor on an even larger person? Incredible!