What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Contemporary about a girl who moves in with her mother who lives in a different city/state and leaves her best friend behind.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrisa (last edited May 14, 2020 11:32AM) (new)

Chrisa (chrisahum) | 6 comments I read this book in 2005 in the USA and it was published in English by a female author. The book was paperback and I think it had a girl on the cover. I may have some details wrong because it was so long ago, so I'm sorry in advance.
It is a contemporary young adult fiction story about a teenage girl who moves in with her mother who lives in a different city/state (I think somewhere in or near New York), but she moves away from her best friend, who is male and they had a kind of romantic relationship. She has therapy sessions and (view spoiler)
Thank you in advance for your help finding the title of this book as I would love to read it again.

message 2: by Chrisa (new)

Chrisa (chrisahum) | 6 comments Anisha_book_lover wrote: "This probably isn't your book, but I thought I would mention it anyway: "Phantom Summer" by Amy Sparling."

Hi. Thank you, but that doesn't sound like the book I'm looking for.

By the way, I remembered that her mom is an attorney/lawyer.

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments This is a major stretch but could it be We Were Liars by E. Lockhart or similar to it??

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 36 comments Asia wrote: "This is a major stretch but could it be We Were Liars by E. Lockhart or similar to it??"

I was also going to suggest this.

message 5: by Chrisa (new)

Chrisa (chrisahum) | 6 comments Thank you. No, sorry. It's definitely not We Were Liars. I've read that one and it was released in 2014. The book I'm looking for I read in 2005.

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments Oh, ok. Do you know if it was similar to it?

message 7: by Chrisa (new)

Chrisa (chrisahum) | 6 comments Sorry I missed that part of your question when you asked the first time. They are similar in that the girl, who is the main character, doesn't remember that her boyfriend/friend is dead until she has a breakthrough near/at the end of the story. Between therapy sessions she has conversations with him and they hang out.

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments You're fine :) Thanks.

Ok, do you know if she has any, like, for lack of better phrasing, mental issues/illnesses?

message 9: by Chrisa (last edited May 15, 2020 10:54AM) (new)

Chrisa (chrisahum) | 6 comments I can't remember if in the story it ever diagnosed her with something, but she has therapy sessions with a psychiatrist that her divorced parents make her do, because they are worried about her emotional/mental health. I think they think she is depressed, and I think she realizes they were also worried because she was still believing her boyfriend/friend (sorry, I'm not sure if he was her boyfriend, but I remember her having romantic feelings for him) was alive and speaking to him, etc.

P.S. I'm not sure if this helps, but I also remember a scene in the story where she and him are sitting at the beach and talking.

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 205 comments Do any the books of this list ring a bell: https://www.goodreads.com/book/simila...

message 11: by Chrisa (new)

Chrisa (chrisahum) | 6 comments Thank you, but unfortunately it's not any of those. Most of them are too recent.