Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Adding New Books > please add book (reposting in a new topic)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacabaeus (new)

Jacabaeus (jamcam9) | 162 comments Title: Cases on the Canadian Law of Insurance, 6e (student edition)
Auth: Marvin G. Baer, James A. Rendall
Publisher: Carswell
ISBN: 9790459239670
Pub Date: 2000
Type: soft cover
Pages: 960

Publisher page: https://deskcopy.thomsonreuters.ca/pr...

Thank you! :)

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg (gregpeterson) | 6 comments A first edition of my book, called "Newgate's Knocker" can be found by using its title. This book is no longer available anywhere. However, the Second Edition of the book with a slightly different title can not be found using either the old title or this new one: "Newgate's Knocker: An Aviation Thriller". There is no way my book will get any sales if people can't find it. The old one used to be displayed with a search of Aviation Thrillers. Now neither book title can be found that way. The new version is in the Goodreads data base already so it can't be added again. I've been working on this for several weeks, it is very frustrating. Goodreads is a very popular site for finding new authors, and where people go to guy books. There is no excuse for my book not to be returned through a search. I have combined all my books, both editions, kindle, paperback, etc. but the unavailable, old, first edition is the only one that can be found. Please, Please, someone help me fix this.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13149 comments #1 The edition you linked to is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

It does not have the same ISBN.

message 4: by Scott (last edited May 15, 2020 08:16AM) (new)

Scott | 17139 comments Greg wrote: "A first edition of my book, called "Newgate's Knocker" can be found by using its title. This book is no longer available anywhere."

Your Knockers look fine to me.

Please do not delete descriptions from the old editions.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg (gregpeterson) | 6 comments I'm not sure people are understanding my problem. I am the author of two versions of my Book. one is called "Newgate's Knocker" and the newest edition is a little different, "Newgate's knocker: An Aviation Thriller" I do not want the old additions being displayed when searching for me book, which is what happens (the old cover with the title "Newgate's Knocker" What's worse is that when a person searches for the new and correct version that is available for sale, the book is not found. I just tried searching for "Newgate's Knocker: An Aviation Thriller" and no book is found. this should not be. A book with that title is in the Goodreads data base and when it is searched for, it should b e found.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 17139 comments Greg wrote: "I'm not sure people are understanding my problem. I am the author of two versions of my Book. one is called "Newgate's Knocker" and the newest edition is a little different"

As C explained, we do not put "a...thriller" in the title. When one searches for and selects the book, other editions are prominently displayed on the book record. Users can easily find any of the other editions.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg (gregpeterson) | 6 comments Andrew wrote: "Librarians have zero control over search functionality. And as stated above:

C. wrote: "Search will show results for the most popular edition"

Contact Staff."

I would contact staff, but they make it hard. Where can I find a "contact staff" ling?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.