Mission Viejo Library discussion

Recommended Reads > Favorite location

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Regenhardt (lauren_page) | 48 comments Mod
If you could visit any location from a book, what would it be and why?

For me, it would be Hogwarts. Imagine all the food in the Great Hall. The huge library. The many classrooms...It would be so awesome!!

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison | 54 comments Mod
Oh my goodness. One of my favorite things about reading is the ability to visit different locations with our imaginations.

I think I'd choose the Night Court from Sarah J. Maas' series A Court of Thorns and Roses series. Give me a moonstone castle and a giant bathtub overlooking the edge of a mountain anytime.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Allison wrote: "Oh my goodness. One of my favorite things about reading is the ability to visit different locations with our imaginations.

I think I'd choose the Night Court from Sarah J. Maas' series A Court of..."

Oh yes!! The Night Court did sound so extravagantly beautiful. And Rhys...Yes.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sbrimer) | 36 comments Mod
Picking a children's classic here - I'd love to visit Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis), but after the White Witch is defeated. I don't do well in the snow/cold weather, and Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, so definitely after her reign has ended.

message 5: by Allen (new)

Allen (librariangmr) | 16 comments Mod
Hogwarts is the easiest and most definitive answer for sure. I'd love to have free reign to explore the castle and ending the day with a trip to Hogsmeade for a nice butterbeer!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Allen wrote: "Hogwarts is the easiest and most definitive answer for sure. I'd love to have free reign to explore the castle and ending the day with a trip to Hogsmeade for a nice butterbeer!"

ALLLL the butterbeer!!

Sandy wrote: "Picking a children's classic here - I'd love to visit Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis), but after the White Witch is defeated. I don't do well in the snow/cold weather, and Christmas..."

Ooooh good choice and excellent point on timing. Definitely Narnia post-white witch!

message 7: by John (new)

John P. | 11 comments Lauren wrote: "If you could visit any location from a book, what would it be and why?

For me, it would be Hogwarts. Imagine all the food in the Great Hall. The huge library. The many classrooms...It would be so ..."

Hello. If I could pick my own literary place to visit it would be planet
Ixchel with Aunt Beast from "A Wrinkle in Time." I remember reading the chapter as a kid where Aunt Beast nurses Meg after all she had been through and gives her encouragement for the fight ahead and feeling so comforted by her presence. It's a rare reading experience that I had which still resonates with me to this day. If you never saw the last film adaptation of the book just know that Aunt Beast and the visit to Ixchel were completely cut out??? That's one of the reasons I consider the movie to be a big FAIL when it comes to achieving the standards Madeleine L'Engle set while composing her book.

message 8: by John (new)

John P. | 11 comments Allison wrote: "Oh my goodness. One of my favorite things about reading is the ability to visit different locations with our imaginations.

I think I'd choose the Night Court from Sarah J. Maas' series A Court of..."

...lol...I don't know Allison. A giant bathtub sounds mighty dangerous!

message 9: by Coralie (new)

Coralie Dal Gobbo | 4 comments I would want to visit the Bizarre desert from the "Song of the Lioness" series. I read these books a couple years ago and I loved them. The people that lived in the desert were also intriguing. It would be like visiting a fantasy desert with markets and small palaces. I would love to visit it!

message 10: by Allison (new)

Haha, John, it's okay, I can swim. :)

Love the idea of visiting Aunt Beast's planet! I loved Aunt Beast.

message 11: by Allison (new)

I find it really interesting that all our location picks (so far) are from children's and teen literature. Are adult books lacking when it comes to fantastic settings?

message 12: by Lauren (new)

I think that's a very interesting question, Allison! Maybe that's why I struggle with adult fiction. I rarely venture out of my YA bubble.

message 13: by Genesis (new)

Genesis Hansen (genesishansen) | 17 comments Mod
Ooooh, I want to visit the Night Circus in Erin Morgenstern's book of the same name.

message 14: by Allison (new)

Genesis wrote: "Ooooh, I want to visit the Night Circus in Erin Morgenstern's book of the same name."

Finally, a location from an adult book! Yay!

(I should say that I'd love to visit Crescent City from Sarah J. Maas' new series of the same name, but Maas originally hails from YA, so I'm not sure I'm helping the cause here...)

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sbrimer) | 36 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "I find it really interesting that all our location picks (so far) are from children's and teen literature. Are adult books lacking when it comes to fantastic settings?"

As a reader of mostly adult sci-fi/fantasy I don't think it's because the literature is lacking in fantastic settings. I feel like it's got more to do with how those worlds are portrayed in adult fiction -they're not all shiny, happy and you see the underbelly more clearly. I'm not saying children's and teen literature don't show the struggle, they do, I just feel like in the adult books I read they present a world that although fantastical, knowing what I know from the story, I would have to look long and hard at the travel brochure and the crime statistics before booking my trip! An example: I will forever be intrigued by the worlds presented in Pierce Brown's Red Rising series, but do I want to visit the oppressive mining colonies on Mars? Nope!

message 16: by Allison (new)

GREAT points, Sandy-- I think that's the difference exactly. Not that the settings in children's and YA are always super perfect, but they do seem more inviting and less problematic in many ways. It's all about nuance, huh?

message 17: by John (new)

John P. | 11 comments Allison wrote: "I find it really interesting that all our location picks (so far) are from children's and teen literature. Are adult books lacking when it comes to fantastic settings?"

I was thinking the same thing Allison. I believe it has to do with a longing back towards childhood when we had more impressionable minds and even the simplest of memories had a longer lasting impact than they do at an older age. I also think it has a lot to say about the genres we read as we get older. I remember how just after I grew up I went through a phase where I was reading nothing other than horror or thriller novels. Those are not exactly the types of environments or situations I would like to be in in real life.

message 18: by Allison (new)

Too true, John! Count me out for horror settings, haha!

message 19: by Aimster (last edited May 27, 2020 01:27PM) (new)

Aimster The fictional land I would like to visit would be the Welcome to Night Vale universe. I love the podcasts and the books. Two things I truly love about WNV is how diverse the characters and cast are, and how everyone of the characters are accepted for who they are (until they do something truly awful). You could be a literal five headed dragon running for mayor, a shape shifting teen, a sentient patch of haze, or a fist sized river rock with the power of telepathy. (It seriously takes about three years before anyone even questions how a river rock can speak) It's such a bizarre show but the love that is put into crafting the characters, episodes and books is truly spectacular!

message 20: by Allison (new)

Aimster wrote: "The fictional land I would like to visit would be the Welcome to Night Vale universe. I love the podcasts and the books. Two things I truly love about WNV is how diverse the characters and cast are..."

That sounds awesome! I've heard so many good things about Welcome to Night Vale, but have yet to jump in. Do you recommend starting with the podcast or the books?

message 21: by Aimster (new)

Aimster Allison wrote: "Aimster wrote: "The fictional land I would like to visit would be the Welcome to Night Vale universe. I love the podcasts and the books. Two things I truly love about WNV is how diverse the charact..."

I would recommend starting with the podcast, the books build on the podcast and offer back stories to some of the characters.

message 22: by Allison (new)

Thanks for the recommendation, Aimster!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

That sounds pretty awesome, and I may jump in on the podcasts too! I've heard great things.