Judy Bolton Fans discussion

#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 4: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Land (williamland) | 970 comments Mod
Chapter 4: Other Rainbows

With Honey‘s help, Judy was soon transformed. Mrs. Bolton had hurried into her best blue crepe and was there to supervise the finishing touches to her dress and veil. As Judy looked into the long mirror, she hardly believed her eyes. “Why I actually look the way a bride should look,” she marveled. Her satin underdress hung in long graceful folds while the filmy white net billowed like a cloud above it. Her veil was of cobweb lace. Peter’s grandmother had worn it at her wedding nearly 50 years ago. “Great grandmother wore it too, ” Honey confided as she placed a circle of orange blossoms over Judy’s hair to hold the veil in place. “She lived to celebrate her golden wedding and so will Grandma, I hope. She says that if our mother had worn it instead of eloping the way she did, she might have lived to see her fiftieth anniversary too. Maybe you and Peter will too. Anyway, that is my wish for you.” Judy thanked her and the girls went downstairs to get their bouquets of mixed flowers and Roberta her basket of flowers. Judy was speechless with happiness as her mother opened the florist box that had arrived from Peter, and laid a sheaf of white roses, lilies of the valley and forget-me-nots into Judy’s arms. There was one white orchid in the center. Peter’s card read: “To the only bride in the world” It was sweet of him, thought Judy to call her the only bride when he knew it was a double wedding. He meant, of course, that she was the only bride for him. Horace was Peter’s best man, he was wearing a gray double-breasted jacket, white trousers and matching white tie. Peter would be dressed exactly like him only his boutonniere would be larger. Once he had jokingly promised to wear a water lily or peony , not to be outdone by Arthur. Judy wished she could see him now. That was against all wedding tradition, she would meet him at the altar. There was a last minute scramble for hats, gloves etc and soon Judy was sitting very quietly in the car next to her father. After careful timing, it was two minutes to four when they pulled up to the awning that stretched from the sidewalk to the door of the stone and stucco house where the Lee family lived. Beyond was the turreted mansion of the Farringdon-Petts. “Dad, is this real?“ The rain had stopped and the sun was shining. Dr Bolton thought there might be a rainbow at that time of the afternoon. “Do you think so, Dad? But that would be too much. It’s enough to know we can be married in the garden. “ The grass was a little wet but no one seemed to mind. Ushers were placing chairs for the older guests but the young people preferred to stand. There was something about the hushed beauty of the garden after the rain that was very much like a church. Double rows of peonies, gloriously in bloom, made a natural aisle up to the rose trellis which was to serve as the background for the double wedding ceremony. Judy told her father that he was right about the rainbow and he pointed out that there were two of them, one for her and one for Lorraine. The bridesmaids took their place and it almost looked like their dresses were a reflection of the rainbows above. Judy says it is like a miracle and hopes she isn't dreaming. Roberta tells her that she isn't and asks if she isn't glad that she didn't open the package. Judy reminded her that she promised not to talk about it. “Happy is the bride that the sun shines on,” quoted Sylvia, “but what about two brides who are married under a double rainbow?” “Doubly happy,” answers Pauline. Roberta asks about a pot of gold, but is hushed by Honey who whispered, “It’s beginning.”

I love how we can almost see the Farringdon-Pett & Lee yards in MS’s descriptions. I think it sounds so beautiful - the aisle of peonies leading up to the rose trellis. Peonies are one of my favorite flowers, as are roses. There is a house around the corner from me that has a double row of peonies along the side sidewalk and it leads to an arbor. I have never seen 2 rainbows, is it possible? Isn’t it a surprise that Mrs Bolton wouldn’t buy a new dress for her only daughter’s wedding? In early Victorian times & before, the bride wore her best dress, it was Queen Victoria that started the custom of wearing a white dress and orange blossoms, I believe.

message 2: by William (new)

Faye's summary is a pleasure to read! I truly enjoyed this chapter of the events leading up to the wedding.

I love Peter's comment about Judy being the "only bride." Of course, she is the only bride for him; she always was. Peter, too, is the only groom for Judy. I feel she may have subconsciously known this because she had asked Arthur to keep their engagement secret. Also, another sign that she didn't choose the right groom was that she didn't like her engagement ring.

I had a fondness for butterflies, four leaf clovers and rainbows. These things make me smile. I loved the description of the double rainbows and that they mean "doubly happy!"

I am not surprised that Mrs. Bolton didn't buy a new dress for Judy's wedding. This book was written during wartime even though it was published in 1946. Series books are written as if the events are timeless, but there are still little reflections of reality in them. Money and other goods was very tight or not available during these difficult times. People didn't have a lot of extra outfits, like today, and a woman would have a "best dress" for all occasions.

message 3: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 475 comments This sounds like the most perfect wedding ever! Imagine a double rainbow! What a good omen or Blessing. There was a double Rainbow at the Great Journalist Tim Russert's funeral. The mourners had exited to the ukelele version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow which was a favorite of the deceased. Tim Russert was a devout Catholic. This must have been a sign from heaven and a great comfort to his loved ones.

message 4: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Stroh | 111 comments My father was an avid gardener. My sisters told me that he said the peony stood for the first initials of their names: P & E, (Peggy and Eleanor). Someone asked if double rainbows really happen. Yes, they do! Usually the second rainbow is less vibrant than the first, more misty. Like Rebekah, I also saw a double rainbow exiting from a memorial service, and the minister had mentioned rainbows in his message. It felt like a gift sent to comfort us. --Lindsay

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 764 comments Someone asked if double rainbows really happen. Yes, they do! Usually the second rainbow is less vibrant than the first, more misty. ."
I have seen a double rainbow twice. I think the first was on the way back from Judy Bolton Days in 2012.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 158 comments William wrote: "Faye's summary is a pleasure to read! I truly enjoyed this chapter of the events leading up to the wedding.

I love Peter's comment about Judy being the "only bride." Of course, she is the only bri..."

Tim Russert was from Buffalo, near where Faye and I live. We (Faye and I) were lucky enough to meet through this group.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 158 comments William wrote: "Faye's summary is a pleasure to read! I truly enjoyed this chapter of the events leading up to the wedding.

I love Peter's comment about Judy being the "only bride." Of course, she is the only bri..."

Did it ever say who Arthur's best man was?
I loved that both brides had their future sisters as their best friend.

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 72 comments Cindy wrote: "William wrote: "Faye's summary is a pleasure to read! I truly enjoyed this chapter of the events leading up to the wedding.

I love Peter's comment about Judy being the "only bride." Of course, she..."

Cindy I loved that their best friend are turned sisters-in-laws too!

message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 475 comments Cindy wrote: "William wrote: "Faye's summary is a pleasure to read! I truly enjoyed this chapter of the events leading up to the wedding.

I love Peter's comment about Judy being the "only bride." Of course, she..."

Don Carter. I think that's his name. A reporter and Horace's friendly rival.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 764 comments William wrote: "Chapter 4: Other Rainbows

I love how we can almost see the Farringdon-Pett & Lee yards in MS’s descriptions. I think it sounds so beautiful - the aisle of peonies leading up to the rose trellis. Peonies are one of my favorite flowers, as are roses. There is a house around the corner from me that has a double row of peonies along the side sidewalk and it leads to an arbor. ..."

The first time I heard of peonies was on page 35 of Rainbow Riddle when Peter joked that he might wear a water lily or peony in his buttonhole.

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments I had never seen a double rainbow until a year or two ago. Pretty impressive. I wonder what causes them. I guess I will need to look it up.
As Cindy said Tim Russert is from Buffalo and he truly loved the area and the Buffalo Bills. He wrote a book about his father that my son bought my husband. I think it was called Big Russ and Me. Tim's sister lived next store to my friend Lisa until last year. It is such a shame that he died so young.

message 12: by William (new)

Faye wrote: "I had never seen a double rainbow until a year or two ago. Pretty impressive. ...>>

I remember sitting on a bench outside a store waiting for a city bus during the early years of my move to Sudbury ON (Canada). The first rainbow was more prominent and the second one was less so, but both were equally beautiful.

As Faye said, "Impressive."

Rainbows, butterflies, and four leaf clovers make me happy!

message 13: by J. Michael (new)

J. Michael | 129 comments There was a double rainbow visible from my home on April 28 of this year. I know the date because I tried to photograph it with my iPhone. The second rainbow was fainter than the first, and is really only visible in two of the pictures. In the first picture, the sky is a pink color; in the second, the sky is violet.

I love peonies and always have several varieties in my garden. My favorites are a coral color with a yellow center. This past year, I had ordered and planted a dark pink variety, but when they came up, they were a blackish-purple color I had never seen before.

message 14: by William (new)

Many of us are very lucky to have seen double rainbows. It meant that we were "doubly happy" at that time.

message 15: by J. Michael (new)

J. Michael | 129 comments William wrote: "Many of us are very lucky to have seen double rainbows. It meant that we were "doubly happy" at that time."

That's a lovely thought, William!