Play Book Tag discussion

Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1)
This topic is about Kill the Farm Boy
May 2020: Comedy > Kill the Farm Boy - Dawson & Hearne (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1360 comments Kill the Farm Boy - Delilah S. Dawson & Kevin Hearne

3 1/2 stars

Kill the Farm Boy is a silly (in a good way) book where the authors decided to write a story that skewered all sorts of fantasy tropes. It was fun and over the top with a lot of humor. However, like most books that are about the joke more than the story, you soon start to get tired of the joke and it becomes a bit repetitive. There were a couple of surprises and the characters were a diverse group and a lot of fun. The humor tended towards the slap-stick and bathroom humor variety, so if that is not your cup of tea you may be disappointed. It was a nice mindless read that was a nice palate cleanser before I pick up my next, more complicated book.

message 2: by Hebah (last edited May 14, 2020 09:34AM) (new) - added it

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I started reading this early on in the pandemic weirdness, hoping the silliness would be exactly what I needed, but I'm still at it and hoping to finish it this month at least since it fits the tag. There are definitely passages that feel like entire set-ups for silly puns (not inherently a bad thing, but yes, it's going to be a thing that either works for readers or falls way short).

I feel like it's going to level out to about a 3-star read for me too. I think friends who enjoyed this series said the second book was better though.