SCPL Online Fiction Book Club discussion

The Testaments > Characters: Aunt Lydia

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SCPL Fiction (new)

SCPL Fiction | 99 comments Mod
The Testaments is written from the perspective of 3 central characters: Nicole, Agnes, and Aunt Lydia. Do you find the multiple narratives to be effective? Aunt Lydia is one of the few characters that also appeared in The Handmaid’s Tale. Did your perspective on Aunt Lydia change at all between the two books? Was she represented differently at all?

message 2: by Lillian (new)

Lillian (ladylil) | 10 comments I think the Testaments both softened your view of her and hardened it. You realise that she is just trying to survive, like everyone else in Gilead.

message 3: by SCPL Fiction (new)

SCPL Fiction | 99 comments Mod
Lillian wrote: "I think the Testaments both softened your view of her and hardened it. You realise that she is just trying to survive, like everyone else in Gilead."

Agreed, Lillian. It was interesting to get such a thorough background of Lydia - but I have to admit that I sometimes felt almost resentful of it, because she was just such a black-hat character in the first book and it felt that Atwood was trying to "redeem" her in a way. In the end, though, you're right - she was just trying to survive, and watching her do so in comparison to other female characters was interesting.

message 4: by Lillian (new)

Lillian (ladylil) | 10 comments SCPL Fiction wrote: "Lillian wrote: "I think the Testaments both softened your view of her and hardened it. You realise that she is just trying to survive, like everyone else in Gilead."

Agreed, Lillian. It was intere..."

I think it is almost like the study they did in the 70s, where they took normal college kids and split them into two groups, one group was the prison guards and one group the prisoners. They found the prison guards took on the personas they wouldn't have in normal circumstances. Lydia was trying to survive, and she rose to the occasion....