World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Trump demands reparations from China

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (last edited May 14, 2020 06:36AM) (new)

W Reparations for the virus.How do you view Trump's statement and the war of words between the US and China regarding the origins of the virus ?

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) words

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13512 comments Not sure it'll escalate into anything more than rhetoric, but reparations aren't something unheard of. The question is whether there is any/enough evidence to claim China was reckless with its bio weapon.
Ukraine compensated for downing a plane while military drill, Iran is supposed to. If BP could pay 4.5 bill for oil spill in Mexican Gulf, if the virus is traceable to China's military (but that's a very big if), I don't see why it cannot pay that times 100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwat...

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5351 comments It's all posturing, as are many things with Trump.

message 5: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) And more distraction straight out of Goebbels play-book - keep the electorate looking at an outside enemy and someone to blame in this case China but substitute any perceived foe

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13512 comments Philip wrote: "And more distraction ...."

That too, of course.
Speaking with the friends in the States, which regularly support Trump, they sound not exactly satisfied with his handling of corona crisis. Wonder how our American members here evaluate his performance?

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Nik wrote: "Not sure it'll escalate into anything more than rhetoric, but reparations aren't something unheard of. The question is whether there is any/enough evidence to claim China was reckless with its bio ..."

Australia has certainly been a bit vocal recently about investigations. As a result it appears China is providing some economic hurt for some of our products (beef and barley), but our government is certainly not discussing reparation.

I sort of shake my head, because there's more going on right now that we need to to focus on.

I'd look at Trump's rhetoric as distraction, myself.

message 8: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2146 comments Nik wrote: "Philip wrote: "And more distraction ...."

That too, of course.
Speaking with the friends in the States, which regularly support Trump, they sound not exactly satisfied with his handling of corona ..."

He says some stupid things in his briefings, and this is not the time when you want to sit and watch the the Trump show. the stupidity of the briefings aside, it does feel like he actual listens to the experts behind the scenes. Liberals criticize him for every aspect of how he handled it. He didn't put the country on lock-down, he's not using the Defense Production Act aggressively enough, etc., etc. But he has a lot more to consider than liberals make it out. He can invoke the DPA all he wants, but if companies are producing at max capacity already, no amount of prodding will change that. When ordering lockdowns, one has to consider the Constitution. Religious practice cannot be legislated away, let alone swept aside at the order of one chief executive. The Second Amendment cannot be infringed in any way, no matter how bad a health emergency we're in. Free speech cannot be shut down under the order of a governor or President.

Behind the scenes, he's been working with companies to step up production or to shift production voluntarily before forcing them to do so. Like a true conservative, he's been trusting on people to do the right thing on their own, coming down on the hammer only when needed, unlike governors who have been taking an authoritative approach while the courts strike down some or all of their orders. Like a conservative, Trump has been trusting the states to handle the virus in ways that are most appropriate for them. Not every state has the population density of New York City, so not every state needs to be as strict with their lockdowns as NYC - heck, even most of New York state isn't as dense as the city, so Governor Cuomo should have taken a more local approach.

And for all the liberal attacks on how Trump has handled things, When the governor of Rhode Island forced all New Yorkers coming into the state into a 14 day quarantine, using the National Guard to enforce it, Governor Cuomo threatened to to sue. so New Yorkers who didn't heed their governor's stay-at-home order, took the virus into other states, and now, RI has the highest per capita infection rate in the country.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5351 comments I think Trump's done okay, probably as well as anyone else would have in a novel situation. I expect a certain amount of hyperbole from him: that's his style. Sometimes he changes his mind. I'd be worried if he didn't. As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." Trump also adheres to the adage attributed to P.G. Wodehouse: “It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort of people take a mean advantage of them.” Trump makes mistakes, but he's no fool.