A Court of Books and Magic ✧・゚: * discussion

Best Couples ♥ > Mare and Cal (or Maven?)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥ (queenoffaerie) | 588 comments Mod
Okay, opinions on Cal and Mare? And Maven?

message 2: by maddie (masquerade) ♫ (last edited May 15, 2020 09:52AM) (new)

maddie (masquerade) ♫ (maddiementions) I am on the second Red Queen book (Glass Sword) and honestly... even with everything he has done... I really just want Maven and Mare to be together. I don't like Cal at all for some reason I can't explain but Maven I fell in love with in the first book until of course... the end LOL. But still...

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise (loukgx) | 9 comments I found mare a bit bland. Felt as though she didnt do anything by herself and was always relying on the people around her to fight for or rescue her.
Cal i didnt like in the beginning but by book 3 i really started to warm to him. I thought his pov in the book could have had more depth though.
Maven i liked in the first 2 books. Found his pov very dull and pointless. Didnt tell us anything we didnt already know.

message 4: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Compared to Maven + Mare, I prefer Cal and Mare, but Cal in general is super bland and not special. Mare could do so much better. For example, imagine a romance between Tyton and Mare! When Mare and cal were "taking a break," wouldn't that have been amazing? I saw a lot of lost potential there unfortunately. And, not to mention, Tyton is an amazing character (one of my favorites) with a lot of potential but V.A didn't really do anything with him.

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise (loukgx) | 9 comments Yes i agree, so much potential.

message 6: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Okay good! I'm not alone. Because I've never heard ANYONE else talk about it.

message 7: by azure。*☾ (new)

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) Madison wrote: "I am on the second Red Queen book (Glass Sword) and honestly... even with everything he has done... I really just want Maven and Mare to be together. I don't like Cal at all for some reason I can't..." FINALLY someone who gets me!!!😁 I just can't get over Maven, he's such an interesting character, whereas Cal is SO annoying and bland. I really wish Mareven happened that would have meant everything to me😢

message 8: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I don't ship Mareven, but I do agree that Cal is just so...bleh.
He's literally a caveman.
At the end of the day, I'm okay with Mare and Cal, but I'm not a hardcore shipper- so I wouldn't care if she ended up with anyone else.
Also, and I've expressed this A LOT, but I was hoping there would be some sort of relationship between Mare and Tyton. That would have been great. Unpopular opinion probably.

Maven was such an interesting character! I'm sort of on the fence with this one, because I think he had potential- but V.A. just sort of left him as this bland, resentful character. He had a lot more depth than the others, but it could have been even better.

message 9: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments With regards to Tyton, it was even hinted several times in the last book [especially] that he would play a larger role- in the attack in Montfort, his and Mare's conversations...
I regret that he didn't have a larger role in the series because he was SO FREAKING COOL

message 10: by azure。*☾ (new)

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) I feel like V.A. could have gone somewhere with the characters like Cameron and the other lightning people, but instead the series was mainly about Mare, Maven and Cal. And Mare's a bland MC too. I get why people don't like Red Queen, I only like the first one.

message 11: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I totally see what you mean. That's what I keep saying!
Although, I do think Mare grew as a character a lot which I appreciate. She was annoying and whiny and overdramatic initially, but she grew which I appreciate. She had her flaws, which also made her realistic.
I'm not going to lie and say I didn't like the series, but the first book definitely was the best. Glass Sword was, by far, the most boring sequel I've ever read in my life. Overall, I didn't love the series, but I definitely enjoyed reading it for the most part.

maddie (masquerade) ♫ (maddiementions) Azure✿ wrote: "Madison wrote: "I am on the second Red Queen book (Glass Sword) and honestly... even with everything he has done... I really just want Maven and Mare to be together. I don't like Cal at all for som..."

MAN. The opportunity was there and VA didn't take it lol. So disappointing. I'm glad I found someone that feels the same way I do LOL!

message 13: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I definitely don't ship Maraven, but I'm not super fond of Mare and Cal either.
Overall, I think we all can agree that VA had a lot of missed potential.
And idk if this is just me, but Cameron's ending was super unsatisfying and I expected much more that what she got.

message 14: by Amelie (new)

Amelie | 524 comments I agree! Cal felt a bit underdeveloped and his character was kind of bland, and personally I feel that Maven’s obsession with Mare is really unhealthy and digusting (eg. Branding “M” on Mare’s skin). I don’t ship Mare and Maven at all, but I will admit I liked him a lot in the first book before his betrayal and his true personality showed.

message 15: by Becca da (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 24 comments *sorry to interrupt this discussion but..* I ship Cal & Mare more than Maraven/Marven (I'm only on Glass Sword tho) because Maven is just a jerk in my opinion, but I'll have to find out why soon. I honestly think that Kilorn and Mare should be together. Sorry, I'm a hopeless romantic!

message 16: by Imaan (new)

Imaan Qadeer (imaanqadeer) | 54 comments SPOILER ALERT!!!!
I like Cal and Mare together (eventhoug i wish she had made cal a bit more interesting) but i don't hate maven. Like, i don't like Mare and Maven together as a couple but Maven is my bb. His backstory just got to me. I HATE HIS MOM. Also, i wish we had more Kilorn and Cameron content because I SHIPPP .

message 17: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Bruh YES Kilorn and Cam.
But yes- I think Maven was super toxic towards Mare and I'm glad that never happened. And, like y'all alr touched, on, I wish she made Cal more than a cardboard cutout of a caveman.

message 18: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I pretty much would've been a hardcore Mare and Tyton shipper, if there was more development

message 19: by Amelie (new)

Amelie | 524 comments Spriya wrote: "I pretty much would've been a hardcore Mare and Tyton shipper, if there was more development"

Same here! Tyton was really cool, and it was funny that Maven was scared of him. I would have liked to learn more about Tyton and his powers.

message 20: by Sofia (new)

Sofia I'm reading the 4th book rn. I don't know if I'm the only one...
but I totally ship kilorn and mare together! I think they would be sooo cute together!