A Court of Books and Magic ✧・゚: * discussion

Series > Red Queen

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥ (judeduartegreenbriar) | 588 comments Mod
What a series!

message 2: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I know a lot of people didn't actually like it, but it's honestly my guilty pleasure lol. I didn't LOVE it, but I definitely enjoyed it for the most part, and I most definitely can acknowledge the many flaws it has.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise (loukgx) | 9 comments 4th book is definitely the best one! I struggled through the first 2 but i wanted to keep reading as i got attached to some of the characters. Its not amazing and is boring at times but i love the way Aveyard writes.

message 4: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Okay, bit of a spoiler, but can we talk about how emotionally messed up it was when Maven branded an 'M' into Mare?

message 5: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments omg yes. thank you. obsessive much? and yeah- i thought glass sword was incredibly boring

message 6: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

All those times Mare wondered what M stood for ('monster', 'Maven', 'murderer', 'mine'.) Man those scenes broke me

message 7: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments agreed

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise (loukgx) | 9 comments But i always wonder why she kept his mark? She could have easy gotten rid of it.. i think she was a little twisted too.

message 9: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments oh absolutely- Mare was most definitely twisted. But I can understand why she kept it- almost like a token of what she thought Maven was when they were betrothed.
But I think Mare keeping it added to her character tremendously. We can't have all our protagonists being perfect and flawless all the time, can we.
That's the reason I liked Mare a lot as a heroine. She had her flaws, she had her weird obsessions, and she did go through this weird dark phase. But she grew a LOT as a character.

message 10: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

This is why I loved the short stories in Broken Throne, it's really shown how much she's grown, and healed, and changed into something more.

message 11: by becky (new)

becky  (lunalin) | 150 comments I need to ask a question for Red queen series...does this book have a happily-ever-after or is it a sad ending??

message 12: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Okay... it's a small spoiler so...
In the actual end of the Red Queen series, it has a bittersweet ending, not exactly a happily ever after, but in the collection of novellas Aveyard published afterwards, it turns into a happier ending.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise (loukgx) | 9 comments Im going to read broken throne today. I wasn’t fussed about it before but after finishing the books i want more.

message 14: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Yeah- Especially Evangeline's. Evangeline's and Mare's were the two best ones. And Maven's, ofc.

message 15: by Connor (new)

Connor Farrell (connorfarrell) My opinion on the Red Queen series: the first book was VERY good, and the rest of the series... not my cup of tea. It just was not up to par. The first book was good, and then the rest of the books just kind of petered out. Nothing special.

message 16: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Agreed. Red Queen and Broken Throne were the best. Glass Sword was possibly the most boring book (that's part of a series) I've ever read in my life. And King's Cage and War Storm were...meh.

My main problem with the series was the amount of wasted potential. We had so many interesting characters that kind of just buffered out towards the end (excluding Evangeline: V.A. did a great job with her story)- Tyton, Farley, Cameron, Kilorn, and so many others. Especially Tyton.
Just imagine this- What if, during Mare and Cal's "break" after King's Cage, Mare had some kind of affair with Tyton? That would have been so much more interesting than her falling through this rabbit-hole of self-pity and thinking about Cal Tiberias 24/7.

message 17: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

That certainly would have been interesting... but messy XD

message 18: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Yes. Not that Cal and Mare are the best couple ever.

message 19: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Or at least, if not a romance, a stronger friendship between the two.
Because, at least in War Storm, I felt like a stronger role for Tyton was constantly being hinted, but we never got that.
the most wasted potential ever

message 20: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Definitely, but I think Red Queen is over for now. Can't wait to see if victoria aveyard does another series though

message 21: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Yeah definitely. Red Queen is over. Thank goodness for that. Any more books, and it would have just dragged.
I really hope she comes out with another series- that would be great.
Can we just appreciate the covers of the books and the color schemes though? The whole idea of the covers being a gradient as the series progresses is GENIUS.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this series. I see why everyone else didn't like it, but I honestly LOVED it.

message 23: by Karina (new)

Karina Flores | 428 comments AspiringAuthor wrote: "I loved this series. I see why everyone else didn't like it, but I honestly LOVED it."

you just inspired me to read it. thank you!

message 24: by Spriya (last edited Jun 11, 2020 10:29AM) (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Karina wrote: "AspiringAuthor wrote: "I loved this series. I see why everyone else didn't like it, but I honestly LOVED it."

you just inspired me to read it. thank you!"

You definitely should read it! It's the source of a lot of controversy, but personally I enjoyed the series while identifying its flaws. I love the world it takes place in! And after reading Broken Throne, everything just made sense- the setting is a futuristic version of the USA- Norta is located in the Northeast US! Idk why, but the realization came crashing down and everything made so much sense.
A lot of the major cities are real cities that VA just renamed.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read this in a while, I'll probably reread it sometime

message 26: by Karina (new)

Karina Flores | 428 comments Spriya wrote: "Karina wrote: "AspiringAuthor wrote: "I loved this series. I see why everyone else didn't like it, but I honestly LOVED it."

you just inspired me to read it. thank you!"

You definitely should rea..."

it'll be my next read after serpent and dove !! and thanks for the incite regarding the cities. I'm sure it'll be super helpful.

message 27: by haniah✧*。 (new)

haniah✧*。 (azure_dust) AspiringAuthor wrote: "I loved this series. I see why everyone else didn't like it, but I honestly LOVED it." same! Well I absolutely loved the first book, and then the rest went down...
I'm just annoyed about Maven tbh because I shipped Mareven so HARD and Cal is annoying

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that Cal is an annoying lump but I never shipped Mareven because Maven was just so unstable and twisted that I knew it would be an unhealthy relationship. I wanted Mare single honestly, but because the romance was such an obvious theme in the story I just knew that wasn't going to happen.

I ship Evangeline and Elane though.

message 29: by haniah✧*。 (new)

haniah✧*。 (azure_dust) Yeah Mare single would have been best, I just miss the Maven from Red Queen. This is my problem with getting too attached to characters

message 30: by Karro (new)

Karro Herondale (karroherondale) | 143 comments Yeah had Maven been normal, and not twisted, he and Mare should have been endgame. Cal is blhhuuuurrkk
But now he isn't and therefore Mare should have been single. Or should have found another guy better suited for her than Cal

message 31: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I don't ship Mareven at all, but I also AM NOT fond of Cal at ALL. He's equivalent to that useless lump of coal you find in your stockings on Christmas day.

message 32: by Spriya (last edited Jun 11, 2020 03:37PM) (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Honestly, unpopular opinion, here, but I would have shipped Mare and Tyton. (if their relationship had any sort of development, but I still prefer Tyton over the Calore brothers) Electricons unite lol.

message 33: by Karro (new)

Karro Herondale (karroherondale) | 143 comments ok so I actually agree on that, Tyton had potential

Certainly more than the Calores

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

true, Tyton had potential. But if Mare had ended up with Tyton, then the running theme of romance from the first two books would have been useless.

message 35: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments That's also a very very valid point. It would have been a really funny PSYCHE moment though lol.

message 36: by Party Poison (new)

Party Poison [Disco Freak Show] (certifiedkilljoy) I don’t know why anyone would ship Mareven. Just. Why?

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2020 04:34PM) (new)

Spriya wrote: "That's also a very very valid point. It would have been a really funny PSYCHE moment though lol."

that's fair. It sounds like the kind of Victoria Aveyard-esque plot twist. *cough* Maven's betrayal *cough*

message 38: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments Yeah! I mean- I can understand that Maven was a better character than Cal, but he literally harassed her so much. Also, Maven is just a literal sociopath. He's an awful person.

message 39: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Spriya wrote: "Yeah! I mean- I can understand that Maven was a better character than Cal, but he literally harassed her so much. Also, Maven is just a literal sociopath. He's an awful person."

Agreed. Cal wasn't the most interesting character, but he was a good character, and honestly, I couldn't see Mare with Maven. I couldn't see them in the first book, but I think it was hinted all along Mare would get with Cal from when they danced in book 1

message 40: by haniah✧*。 (new)

haniah✧*。 (azure_dust) Smol Porg wrote: "I don’t know why anyone would ship Mareven. Just. Why?" me!! I do, it's my OTP and I can't forgive V.A. I just really like Maven so .

message 41: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥ wrote: "Spriya wrote: "Yeah! I mean- I can understand that Maven was a better character than Cal, but he literally harassed her so much. Also, Maven is just a literal sociopath. He's an awful person."

Agr..."

Definitely. There were hints of Maven being jealous of Mare and Cal all through the first book, as well as throughout the rest of the series.

message 42: by KingdomReader (new)

KingdomReader I loved this series but I will admit that its a little messed up.
Like.
WHAT IN TURNATION