A Court of Books and Magic ✧・゚: * discussion

Heroes > The Darkling

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥ (queenoffaerie) | 588 comments Mod
Okay, not really sure he should be in this folder, but his character was so complex... there's no denying that he was evil, but I felt like he did feel something for Alina, no matter how twisted it might have been, and in the end, he showed remorse

message 2: by venus! (new)

venus! (judieduartie) I think the series would be so much better if Alina and the Darkling banded together and they just ruled the world as evil villains. We have so many hero stories in YA and I wish Leigh took that opportunity to turn it into something different

message 3: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

The Darkling just had everything we shouldn't love, yet we do. Mal felt too generic, too much of the perfect good guy. Not saying the Darkling wasn't evil, but he deserved to have more about him.

And plus, let's admit it, if he and Alina got together things would have been so interesting.

message 4: by venus! (new)

venus! (judieduartie) Mal was such a bore to me. I hated how he wanted Alina to be “normal” and he didn’t want to accept her because she was Grisha

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Caine (lissandre) | 6 comments Frankly, The Darkling doesn't feel like a villain to me. I know he was the antagonist of the series and he did a lot of cruel and horrible things, but in my eyes, he feels like a slightly more twisted antihero. Something like Loki... Or maybe it's just my crooked morals speaking 😅

And it will bug me probably forever that Alina chose Mal, it's not even about that I wanted her with the Darkling so badly, but Mal was just so toxic...! He spent the whole second book whining about how she's not the ordinary girl who was all over him, and I personally think he couldn't swallow the fact that she was now better and stronger than him. He was stiffling her growth

message 6: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

If something good doesn't happen to the Darkling in King of Scars 2 I will cry. I feel like this is a chance to really forgive his character and make it into something for the better, not for the worse.

message 7: by azure。*☾ (new)

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) I agree with everyone here! The Darkling is so fascinating, much like Maven to me, whereas Mal was insufferable, bland and the easy option for Alina, since she's loved him all her life or whatever. It would have been a lot more interesting with Alina and the Darkling together definitely

message 8: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Sometimes it's just tiring to see the mc get together with the 'perfect, good' guy, what's wrong with an ambitious and power-hungry love interest? At least it will be interesting,

message 9: by layla (new)

layla Yeah i agree i think it would just be SO AMAZING if Alina just turned bad and decided to get with the darkling like MCs alwaaaays do the right thing, the "good thing" it would be so great if for once there was some awesome twist and they didn't. Plus Alina and The Darkling would've made such an amazing power couple😂

message 10: by azure。*☾ (new)

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) Layla wrote: "Yeah i agree i." definitely!!

message 11: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (northwoodsnomad) | 740 comments Oh man, I feel like the odd one out for being happy about a Mal/Alina endgame ship. I can see where people are coming from seeing Mal as the somewhat generic "good guy," but it almost feels like the good guys are the exception for a lot of ya novels lately. It seems like the bad boy/anti-hero with a tragic backstory is the norm now, so it was actually refreshing to me for this series to not really take that turn. Plus, I might be a sucker for the best friends-to-lovers trope at times.

Having said that, I really appreciate the Darkling as a character, especially after Shadow & Bone. It felt like we really got to deep dive a little further into his story and flesh him out in the last two thirds of the original trilogy. And he legitimately creeped me out at points, which is impressive. He gets props for that.

I haven't read King of Scars yet, but I do know what the ending entails to some degree. I'm excited to see where the story goes from there.

message 12: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments venus ✮ wrote: "I think the series would be so much better if Alina and the Darkling banded together and they just ruled the world as evil villains. We have so many hero stories in YA and I wish Leigh took that op..."

Yesssss!

message 13: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments I don't understand this "abusive but hot" trend with male love interests

message 14: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter (new)

Lucy Tonks | 1157 comments Mod
i never really liked the darkling and i do not understand why everyone does tbh.

message 15: by KingdomReader (new)

KingdomReader Okay what book is this?
Sounds really intresting by the comments posted

message 16: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments Shadow and Bone

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyabookdragon) I love the Darkling as a villain, but i cant say i ever found him attractive and I don't like the relationship between him and Alina. Although it would have been cool if Alina went to the darkside

message 18: by KingdomReader (new)

KingdomReader Sofia wrote: "Shadow and Bone"

Thank you!

message 19: by alex (new)

alex (alexthebookish) | 3 comments Spoiler for KoS:
I'm excited to see him again, but I feel like it's so unnecessary? Like, his story is over. His arc ended, and it was pretty good (who doesn't get teary to the line "Someone to mourn me." He dropped his hand, as if the weight were too much. "No grave," he gasped, his hand tightening on mine, "for them to desecrate.”?) so the revival seems just... couldn't Leigh have thought of a new villain or something?

message 20: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments Yeah I agree. I hate the "old villain returns" trope

Pine tree leaf stick (certifiedkilljoy) My friend is going to bring me this series today, so I can finally see what the big deal is with the Darkling. After the books quarantine for 3 days, that is.

message 22: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments SJM Trash wrote: "My friend is going to bring me this series today, so I can finally see what the big deal is with the Darkling. After the books quarantine for 3 days, that is."

There is no big deal with the Darkling. He's a manipulative jerk. Well, he's actually better than Alina, so whatever. Anyone is better than Mal.
(But judging by your taste in fictional characters *cough cough* Kaz and Cardan *cough* you might like him)

Pine tree leaf stick (certifiedkilljoy) Sofia wrote: "SJM Trash wrote: "My friend is going to bring me this series today, so I can finally see what the big deal is with the Darkling. After the books quarantine for 3 days, that is."

There is no big de..."

Yes I like horrible people.

message 24: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (last edited Oct 20, 2020 11:04AM) (new)

Spoiler for those who haven't finished the series.
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter (new)

Lucy Tonks | 1157 comments Mod
i agree, queen. i don't really like the darkling but i still find his character interesting.