Cozy Mysteries discussion

Ellery Adams
This topic is about Ellery Adams
Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author—June 2020–Ellery Adams

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19630 comments Mod
Our Featured Author for June 2020 is Ellery Adams, who was last featured in September 2012. Miss Adams has also published books under the pseudonyms J.B. Stanley and Jennifer Stanley. All told, she has written more than forty novels.

Visit her online:
Twitter: ElleryAdams

BOOKS BY THE BAY series
1. A Killer Plot
2. A Deadly Cliché
3. The Last Word
4. Written in Stone
5. Poisoned Prose
6. Lethal Letters
7. Writing All Wrongs
8. Killer Characters

CHARMED PIE SHOPPE series
1. Pies and Prejudice
2. Peach Pies and Alibis
3. Pecan Pies and Homicides
4. Lemon Pies and Little White Lies
5. Breach of Crust

BOOK RETREAT series
1. Murder in the Mystery Suite
2. Murder in the Paperback Parlor
3. Murder in the Secret Garden
4. Murder in the Locked Library
5. Murder in the Reading Room
6. Murder in the Storybook Cottage (April 28, 2020)

SECRET, BOOK & SCONE SOCIETY
1. The Secret, Book & Scone Society
2. The Whispered Word
3. The Book of Candlelight (January 28, 2020)

AS J. B. STANLEY

SUPPER CLUB series

1. Carbs & Cadavers
2. Fit to Die
3. Chili Con Corpses
4. Stiffs and Swine
5. The Battered Body
6. Black Beans & Vice
7. Pasta Mortem*

* Published as Ellery Adams with Rosemary Stevens

ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES
1. A Killer Collection
2. A Fatal Appraisal
3. A Deadly Dealer
4. A Treacherous Trader **
5. A Devious Lot **
6. A Killer Keepsake **
7. A Bidder End **
8. A Fatal Fabergé (February 2, 2020) **

** Published as Ellery Adams with Parker Riggs

AS JENNIFER STANLEY:

HOPE STREET CHURCH

1. The Path of the Crooked
2. The Way of the Wicked
3. The Graves of the Guilty
4. The Root of All Evil ^
5. Fate of the Fallen ^

^ Published as Ellery Adams with Elizabeth Lockard

Please show respect for other members and remember to use spoiler tags, so as not to give away plots of books people have not yet got to. Thanks and enjoy!

message 2: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I am current on Adams’ first two series, both of which I liked, and have a couple books in Mount TBR for both the Book Retreat and Secret series. While I’ve not read any of the JB Stanley series, I do have the first Antiques book, also in Mount TBR. I waffled over which book to read, do I catch up on a series I’m already reading (Book Retreat), or try a new-to-me series? I ended up starting The Secret, Book & Scone Society last night, but only made it past the first chapter before sleep called me, but am intrigued.

For those who have read Ellery Adams/JB Stanley, which series do you prefer?

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 39740 comments I loved the Supper Club series. I enjoyed their friendships and struggles losing weight, I read The Secret, Book & Scone Society and liked it so will continue reading the series. I also liked The Books By the Bays series.

message 4: by Barb (last edited Jun 07, 2020 11:49AM) (new)

Barb | 1035 comments I'm current with her Book Retreat and Secret, Book and Scone Society series, and am working my through the Books by the Bay series. I read one or two books each in the Supper Club and Antiques series, but didn't like them enough to continue either series. The Charmed Pie Shoppe and Hope Street series are buried somewhere in Mt. TBR, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

message 5: by Jane (last edited Jun 08, 2020 09:03AM) (new)

Jane Heather L wrote: "I am current on Adams’ first two series, both of which I liked, and have a couple books in Mount TBR for both the Book Retreat and Secret series. While I’ve not read any of the JB Stanley series, I..."

I've read all the Charmed Pie Shop series, had reservations about the magic involved, all the Books by the Bay series & am disappointed that it's done, am waiting for the next Book Retreat but hated how the heroine's long-lost husband was treated & the viciousness of his captor, am caught up on the Supper Club series & like it but don't love it, am in the midst of #7 of Antiques & Collectibles & enjoying all that series with #8 waiting on my kindle, and am caught up with the Secret, Book, & Scone Society, which I also like but don't love. The premise of the Hope Street Church series doesn't interest me.

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 287 comments I do like Ellery Adams (plus, two vowels for spell-it-out challenges!). I've read the first five novels in both the Books by the Bay and Book Retreat series, and a couple of the Charmed Pie Shoppe.

I hadn't realised there was a new Book Retreat out, so I'll definitely read that, and maybe the first Secret, Book and Scone one.

I liked Carbs and Cadavers, but not as much as the other two series I've ventured into.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7474 comments I've read all the Supper Club series except for the newest one and enjoyed those. I just read the first one in the Antiques & Collectibles series earlier this year and it was ok but I enjoy other of her series better. I've read the first 2 Books by the Bay series and discovered when I thought about reading book 3 this month that my library doesn't have it. I finally settled on Peach Pies and Alibis to read this month. I enjoyed the first book in this series and am looking forward to getting back to it.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 5 comments I've never read any of her books until now. I just finished The Secret, Book & Scone Society (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #1) by Ellery Adams and loved it.

message 9: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I too just finished The Secret, Book & Scone Society and enjoyed it—and the strong female characters.

message 10: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 287 comments Like Dawn and Heather, I just read The Secret, Book, & Scone Society. It was a good setting, and I liked the characters. I didn't like the misogynistic sherriff, but that issue got resolved nicely! I'll definitely read some more of the series at some point.

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 11 comments I read the first four books in the Supper Club series and loved the core characters. I absolutely loved The Secret, Book & Scone Society and need to read the next book in the series. Also, I'm interested in starting the Charmed Pie Shoppe series!

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2108 comments Ellery Adams is one of my favorite authors. I tried reading The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2) by Ellery Adams . I could not get into. I didn't like the first book either.

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1886 comments I listened to The Secret, Book, & Scone Society (Secret, Book, & Scone Society #1) by Ellery Adams The Secret, Book & Scone Society yesterday and liked it quite well. I've read a couple other series by Ellery Adams and was pretty happy with them.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7474 comments I read Peach Pies and Alibis and I think I liked the first one in the series better. I do want to see what happens next but this entry in the series was just okay for me.

message 15: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2108 comments I am reading Murder in the Reading Room (Book Retreat Mysteries #5) by Ellery Adams . I love this series. Characters are very well written and grow a bit each book. I would love to stay in Storyton.

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2108 comments Alice wrote: "I am reading Murder in the Reading Room (Book Retreat Mysteries #5) by Ellery Adams. I love this series. Characters are very well written and grow a bit each book. I would love to stay in Storyton."

I finished it last night and loved it. Although I am not convinced William needed to be added in as a character