What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Tale of Two Cities
This topic is about A Tale of Two Cities
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Classic novel beginning with an inspector/detective/lawyer travelling to deliver a will. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 5 comments I was reading this book a year or 2 ago on project gutenberg and made the mistake of not bookmarking it.

It was a classic novel and the first part of the story centered on an inspector/lawyer or some sort of public official that was called upon to deliver a will to a daughter. He rides a stagecoach to the daughter and they then travel together to a (french, i think) village where they meet a blind man that is perhaps her real father and who feels her face and tells her about herself. My memory is hazy but if i remember right, the blind man lost his daughter many years ago and she was either raised by another family or as an orphan.

I can't remember much else and some details may be off but that was the beginning part of the novel.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 5 comments I'm not sure if he touches her face lol but the gist of it was that the old blind man had lost a daughter many years ago and as he retells details of that story the girl begins to draw parallels between her own life and the story of the old man (or vice versa, the girl telling the old man her life and him recognizing). He also recognizes her voice i believe. That however was just the beginning part of the novel, and it had a detective or lawyer or public functionary of some kind very determined (not so much out of kindness but duty-it was his job or something) to helping this girl. They stop in the village to ask for directions/help in tracking down a name and it just so turns out that the old blind man they talk to is in some way related to the girl.

message 3: by S.U. (last edited May 14, 2020 01:37PM) (new)

S.U. Ramesh | 28 comments Though I doubt this is what you are looking for, the description does sound similar to the beginning of 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

message 4: by Alex (last edited May 19, 2020 02:31PM) (new)

Alex | 5 comments No, that is the book! It was the shoemaker I was referring to but my memory took some creative liberties haha. Thank you kindly

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33331 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Alex. Here's the link for S.U.'s find - A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Tale of Two Cities (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Dickens (other topics)