WBTPLibrary Book Club discussion

Book Woman of Troublesome Creek > Discussion Question #1

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (last edited May 13, 2020 01:54PM) (new)

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

Alright let's get the discussion started!

How did the Kentucky Pack Horse Program affect the people in this remote area? Do you think library programs are still a vital part of our society today?

Taking that a step further - how has a librarian or book lover impacted your life? How have you connected with a book or an author in a meaningful way?

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Zutz | 19 comments There is no question. At least not one I can see.

I was editing the question due to a technical issue, can you see it now?

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Zutz | 19 comments I can see this response but no question.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 4 comments I think it was a wonderful way for them to get some sort of education and connect with others. I do believe library programs are vital to our society. I started taking my kids to programs offered last year and will continue to when it is safe again.

When I was in middle school I helped in the library at the elementary level school and it was so great to help the little kids and see their faces as you read a story to them. I still love it with my own kids.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 4 comments I think it was a wonderful way for them to get some sort of education and connect with others. I do believe library programs are vital to our society. I started taking my kids to programs offered last year and will continue to when it is safe again.

When I was in middle school I helped in the library at the elementary level school and it was so great to help the little kids and see their faces as you read a story to them. I still love it with my own kids.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It was very interesting and somewhat startling to read how dangerous Cussy's route was and the obstacles she had to overcome in order to reach people. At the same time it was touching to see how much the people appreciated her efforts and so looked forward to her arrival.
Library programs are still a vital part of our reading community. T see the anticipation on folk's faces as they enter the building for a program; from children to seniors, is always a rewarding as a librarian.
Although not a librarian, some of my earliest memories are of my mother reading to me. She passed on her love of books and reading to me at a very young age.
Librarian Amanda

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica Zutz | 19 comments I think uniquely to this area in rural Appalachia is so remote and so poverty stricken even today one of the most poverty stricken places in the United States where people live in object poverty this gives them something to look forward to and it allows them to read outside of what they might normally get access to. I think that what Cussy does in the book is definitely vital to their well-being and their life and they’re general enrichment.

Thinking back to the book the small child I can’t remember his name at the school house that gives her a lifesaver candy that was the one thing he looked forward to he couldn’t even have enough food to live but her bringing the books was like his escape.

I agree completely, Cussy was providing an essential service to her patrons! I loved the excitement that they had when they knew she was coming - it was evident how much they loved her and the books she was bringing them.

As a librarian I am certainly biased so of course I think the library is still a vital part of society. I love hearing how much patrons love coming to programs and how much their kids love our programs!

When I was in elementary school the librarian was Mrs. Vandefifer and she was my favorite person in the world! I loved looking through the card catalog to find books. I don't remember anything in particular about this time, I just remember how happy I was in the library. -Jolie