Fox River Valley Libraries discussion

The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World
Summer Reading 2020 > One Book, One District: The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean, Adult Services Librarian (last edited May 26, 2020 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean Plagge | 14 comments Mod
Hello everyone! One of the things we're doing for the 2020 Summer Reading Challenge is something called One Book, One District. It is a shared reading experience for the community so we can all read the same book and have great discussions about it. There are two children's books and one book for adults and teens. This thread is for a discussion on the adult/teen book, The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs by Stephen Brusatte. Anyone is welcome to share their thoughts on this book. Our hope is that we can have a fun, meaningful discussion and make the most out of this shared reading experience. Other staff members or I may post some prompts or questions throughout the discussion as well. We hope you enjoy this experience and look forward to hearing what people think!

message 2: by Sean, Adult Services Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished reading this book the other day and am getting ready to lead the Dundee Library Book Club's discussions about this title. I wanted to post a prompt in this discussion thread as well and hope that people will post and keep a good discussion going here.

In the book, the author discusses the history of paleontology, information about different dinosaurs and their lifestyles, as well as personal experiences. Do you think the author had a good mix of these different things? Did you find certain parts more interesting than others or did you enjoy all of those aspects?

message 3: by Sean, Adult Services Librarian (last edited Jul 14, 2020 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was reading about other paleontologists that Brusatte has worked with, encountered, learned a great deal about, etc. I appreciate that the author gave us an idea of who they were and what their personalities were like rather just just mentioning them briefly and then moving on. I felt that that really helped show how paleontology is very much a collaborative effort between so many different people from different parts of the world. It was also interesting to see that paleontologists specialize in different, specific areas. Reading about the bone war and commercial paleontologists vs. academic paleontologists was also quite interesting. What did you guys think about these different areas in paleontology and the collaboration between paleontologists from around the world?

I also wanted to share that the author, Steve Brusatte, will be joining us via Zoom for a brief discussion about his book and a Q & A session with any patrons who wish to attend. This program will be held on Saturday, July 25 from 1 pm to 2:30 pm. More information can be found here: https://www.frvpld.info/frvpld-live-a....