Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8670 comments there is an author, of apparently long standing, whose name is listed as:
Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon

There have been multiple merges of other author entries, and this has been the name of choice. I searched the discussions, and found nothing about why his title is used. Is it for disambiguation purposes?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm just thinking of precedent, and cans of worms. Or should I just go back to my current untangling?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
I am not particularly familiar with this author. But I see no reason offhand why he would not be listed as Edward Hyde, with as many spaces as are needed to disambiguate him from others of that name.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Not the same. Removing "Prince of Wales" means leaving either just "Charles", or adding a surname which few people know and is not on the book covers.

Removing "Earl of Clarendon" leaves the perfectly understandable "Edward Hyde".

message 4: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8670 comments I am working diligently on the Arabian Nights [which is how I found this guy, someone had merged one of his works with an Arabian Nights volume] But I'll be happy to take on the Earl of Clarendon and all the boys in his band as a side trip when the Nights get cold... or make me cross-eyed.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Also not the same.