Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Night Shift Dragons (DFZ, #3)
This topic is about Night Shift Dragons
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Night Shift Dragons [May 22, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Night Shift Dragons by Rachel Aaron starting May 22, 2020.
Night Shift Dragons (DFZ, #3) by Rachel Aaron

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

In!

message 3: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments In!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Starting today! I might bounce between this and Echo of Things to Come because that one got a little sidelined.

Timelord Iain | 15536 comments Didn't take me long to forget about this... another thing to read this week :D

Timelord Iain | 15536 comments Started... great to be back here...

The end of the last book & start of this book are probably the only way Opal & Yong-he will ever resolve their issues...

Always great to see (view spoiler)

message 7: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments OK, so I have a question... Is it ok for me to start this series without having read the previous one?

message 8: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 23, 2020 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15536 comments Choko wrote: "OK, so I have a question... Is it ok for me to start this series without having read the previous one?"

It's OK to start this series without reading the previous one... you'll just miss out on the import of some cameos and the like... But you really need to start at the beginning of the trilogy... this is the end of the trilogy...

Going back to read the first series, tho, might lead to you figuring out some spoilers, at some point, since the location of this series figures into the first series, and some big things happened at the end of that series...

Narilka | 2620 comments I think this will be my next book after I finish my current one. Maybe jumping in here soon.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

I would say if you plan on reading the heartstrikers series at any point, you may want to hold off on this one. Like Iain said, major spoilers abound because this one takes place in the aftermath of what happened in HS. However if you wanted to skip, this one stands solidly on its own. Both are so good!

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

I’m not very far in yet. Still chapter one I think haha. It’s such a fun read. Up there with Ilona Andrews for me.

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay Narilka!

Timelord Iain | 15536 comments I had great fun reading today... I love Rachel Aaron... still need to finish...

Everything is a spoiler... I'm in the home stretch... can't believe it's almost over... no idea how Opal is going to fix everything...

Timelord Iain | 15536 comments OK... SO...

I was happy with this conclusion... I wonder what Rachel Aaron is working on next?... She's said she's writing in a new IP next, but has a loose idea for another book/series in this world, down the line...

I thought the developments in this book were cool, the explanations for questions MCs had about DFZ made sense, but some things resolved too easily (view spoiler)

Not bad, just easy... guess it's because other things had taken center stage... I was on the edge of my seat for much of the conclusion, and thought the developments were cool...

Once I read The Once King, I think I'll be out of Rachel Aaron books unread...

message 15: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments Iain, I had no idea this was the last book in the trilogy. Thank you for pointing that out! I guess I will read the first series and then read this one in the proper order...

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 679 comments Did not realize there was a buddy read going on for this one, I just started it yesterday. Very excited to see where Opal's story goes

Narilka | 2620 comments Starting this tonight.

Narilka | 2620 comments Ch 1 (view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 679 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "OK... SO...

I was happy with this conclusion... I wonder what Rachel Aaron is working on next?... She's said she's writing in a new IP next, but has a loose idea for another book/series in this wo..."

Just finished this one today and agree about the whole (view spoiler) but overall I had a ton of fun reading this one. I liked seeing the relationship between Opal and Yong change too.

I'm curious to see what she'll write next too. I'm really loving the DFZ so it'll be fun to see what she focuses on next maybe a new (view spoiler)

@Narilka I love Amelia too! Was super excited when Opal found out she needed to summon the Spirit of Dragons.

Narilka | 2620 comments Through Ch 6 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2620 comments I'm at 50% which is somewhere in Ch 10 (view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 679 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm at 50% which is somewhere in Ch 10..."

Oh man, yeah the (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2620 comments Jessica wrote: "Narilka wrote: "I'm at 50% which is somewhere in Ch 10..."

Oh man, yeah the [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it is easy to backslide.

Ch 10 & 11 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2620 comments Forgot to add (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2620 comments I finished. I enjoyed that ending :) It felt right for their situation even if a tad easy. I'm with you guys, very curious what the next story in this world will be.