Play Book Tag discussion

Darling Rose Gold
This topic is about Darling Rose Gold
Archive: Other Books > Darling Rose Gold - Stephanie Wrobel - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2042 comments Darling Rose Gold chronicles a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship. The fictional story is based on the real life story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard who was born in 1991 and thought to have a collection of chronic conditions, including leukemia, asthma, muscular dystrophy and impaired mental capacity. Gypsy Rose was eventually determined to be a victim of Munchausen syndrome by proxy by her mother Dee Dee who was accused of fabricating most of her daughter’s disabilities.

At the start of this novel, single mother, Rose Gold, is picking up Patty, the mother who severely mistreated her for almost two decades. She's decided to invite Patty into her recently purchased home now that she's been released from prison. Told through the alternating perspectives of Patty and Rose Gold, you won’t know which one is reliable and you will keep changing your mind..

The subject manner in Darling Rose Gold is very dark but the author mostly alludes to what was done to Rose Gold as child. The story revolves around the consequences of that abuse. It won't take long to discover that Rose Gold and Patty both have more sinister plans than just reconciling. Both of these characters are very complicated. Both grew up in abusive households, which explains their actions, but doesn’t condone them.

This psychological thriller got tons of publicity prior to being published. I immediately added it to my TBR. Then some not-so-positive reviews came out and I waffled on whether I wanted to read it or not. Maybe my expectations were quite low by the time I read it but I really enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. If you need to like your characters, you should probably skip this one.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments Expectations are everything- glad to see a 4-star review for this.