Book Bloggers of Goodreads discussion

Socialize, Ask Questions, etc. > Is Reedsy Discovery A Scam?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice)  (marriedtobooks44) | 25 comments Hello!

I received an email about Reedsy Discovery and saying that I had been recommended to join them. Here's the message-

Hi there,

Did you receive Colman Keane’s invitation to join Reedsy Discovery as a book reviewer?

If you’re still undecided, you might like to know a bit more about how it works. As a reviewer, you’d be given exclusive access to our library of ARCs in exchange for writing reviews on Discovery. Any reviews that you write for us, you can cross-post to your blog and social media accounts as well!

And since Colman recommended you, you’ll receive a $50 welcome reward after publishing your first review.

Side note: I did get another email prior to this one with similar wording. I also got laid off from my job due to COVID-19 and so really need some money right now for essential shopping for various family members. What should I do?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle  (starredpages) | 34 comments Hi,
I got one of those emails a while back and I did sign up to be a reviewer as it seemed like a good opportunity. I ended up requesting to deactivate my account because the website only suggested indie books for me to read and then I would have to get the book myself and then post a review on the website. The email was really misleading as it made it seem like it was a website similar to Netgalley or something but it was basically goodreads for Indie Books. I don't know if I did something wrong when I signed up but I was not given any access to the library that they mentioned. I don't think Reedsy Discovery is the way to go.

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 2 comments Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks) wrote: "Hello!

I received an email about Reedsy Discovery and saying that I had been recommended to join them. Here's the message-

Hi there,

Did you receive Colman Keane’s invitation to join Reedsy Dis..."

Hi Alice Elizabeth,

Col is one of the 1k reviewers here at Discovery and referred you to us via our refer-a-friend programme — you can find him and other reviewers in our reviewer directory (https://reedsy.com/discovery/directories).

We're a review site similar to NetGalley or Edelweiss and provide reviewers with free ARCs in exchange for reviews. Our aim is to spotlight hidden gems of the indie publishing world, helping self-published and small traditionally published authors find their audience.

You can take a look at our website here: https://reedsy.com/discovery, and our Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/reedsy.disc.... Furthermore, Discovery is part of Reedsy, a community of more than 500,000 authors and publishing professionals.

Please feel free to get in touch with discovery@reedsy.com if you have any further questions regarding the referral.

All the best,
Felicia, Editorial Manager at Discovery

message 4: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 2 comments Danielle wrote: "Hi,
I got one of those emails a while back and I did sign up to be a reviewer as it seemed like a good opportunity. I ended up requesting to deactivate my account because the website only suggested..."

Hi Danielle,

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't quite clear on the application process at Discovery!

Only approved reviewers have access to our free library, which means when you were looking for ARCs on our site, you hadn't been given access.

I hope this clears things up for you. Please feel free to get in touch with discovery@reedsy.com if you have further questions.

Wishing you all the best,
Felicia, Editorial Manager at Discovery

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna Davis (seattlebookmama) | 30 comments It sounds to me as if these folks leave a little trail of slime behind them wherever they go. Bait and switch, or just a lack of clarity, if we want to guess charitably. I'd steer clear if it was me.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Costs US $50 to list your own book for others to review on Discovery, though there may be a discount for those using Reedsy for other services. I have asked for a couple of books of interest to read, but was not given any at all. Similarly, I was just directed to other books of no interest that were paid and published.

Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice)  (marriedtobooks44) | 25 comments Danielle wrote: "Hi,
I got one of those emails a while back and I did sign up to be a reviewer as it seemed like a good opportunity. I ended up requesting to deactivate my account because the website only suggested..."

Just seen this- thank you :)

Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice)  (marriedtobooks44) | 25 comments Donna wrote: "It sounds to me as if these folks leave a little trail of slime behind them wherever they go. Bait and switch, or just a lack of clarity, if we want to guess charitably. I'd steer clear if it was me."

I'm surprised that they found this thread. Thanks for the advice :)

Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice)  (marriedtobooks44) | 25 comments Jennifer wrote: "Costs US $50 to list your own book for others to review on Discovery, though there may be a discount for those using Reedsy for other services. I have asked for a couple of books of interest to rea..."

That's not good at all- thanks for sharing :(

message 10: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Mead (ramonamead) | 7 comments I'm a reviewer for Reedsy Discovery. I'm not sure what you mean by scam but so far it has been a positive experience for me. The staff is very nice and helpful.

message 11: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Dalkey (radalkey) | 3 comments I'm not sure it is any kind of scam; the folks at Reedsy seem to be well-known in the indie world.

However from an author perspective I was not at all clear that the $50 I spent on listing would then only get me ONE review per their rules. After all the time spent cutting blurbs, resizing photos, etc to perfect my listing, that's a terrible return. The point of being listed on the internet is that your efforts are scaled to the world. If this is all paid listing services will offer, then I'm back here on GR trying a manual approach :)

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve Kasmire | 2 comments Reedsey are great in the editing process, obviously, but I don't especially like Discovery. You are flying blind with the reviewers, by and large, and they tend to follow up with a host of ads inflected advice for improving the preview

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Goldberg I've taken a few of Reedsy's free mini-courses and listened to the podcast. Haven't paid for services.

From this whole thread, it's clear the original email was not clear. End of Story, as a friend likes to say.

message 14: by Leon (new)

Leon Stevens (leon_stevens) | 9 comments I used it to launch my first book. Paid a fee and received one review and some followers, There is a twitter-ish feed that you can post on but it seems limited in the interactions with readers. Worth it? I wouldn't pay again.

I did use Reedsy to hire the editor for my second book. I thought that there was a good selection, each with their own expertise and genre preferences.