Judy Bolton Fans discussion

#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 3: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Land (williamland) | 968 comments Mod
Chapter 3: Rainbow Dresses

The bridesmaids start arriving. Pauline and Sylvia are first, then Honey. While the girls are arriving, Horace tells Dr. & Mrs. Bolton Roberta’s story. The others heard bits and pieces and Roxy had taken charge of Roberta. Horace asks his dad if he thinks Roberta really overheard such a conversation. Dr Bolton thinks it is more likely that her imagination is running away with her. Horace suggests calling the aunt. Pauline offers to do so but the aunt doesn’ t answer the phone. Pauline suggests Judy is relieved and Judy says it answers the problem of the flower girl and asks if Pauline and Sylvia will see Roberta safely home when they go. Pauline readily agrees. She would never forget the way to Roberta’s house after the adventure they had . Certainly the last person she had expected to find at Judy’s home was the amazing and unpredictable little girl she had met on that never to be forgotten trip to Connecticut.

The bridesmaids begin comparing dresses. Judy had sent them all patterns so that the dresses were exactly alike except for the color. Before picking out the pattern, Judy had looked up 'rainbow’ in the library while an interested person had looked over her shoulder. The dictionary said to look up ‘spectrum. ‘ Under spectrum, Judy found- “By causing white light to pass through a prism, a spectrum is obtained in which seven colors form a series, from deepest red, through orange, yellow, green and blue to the deepest violet.” “But that is only 6 colors,!” she had exclaimed aloud. And then to cover her confusion she had turned to the stranger and said, “ I'll be through with the dictionary as soon as I find out what the 7th color of the rainbow is.” “Lavender, ain’t it? Say, what makes you so interested in rainbows?” The man asked. “I just am,” Judy replied evasively. As she left the library she had the feeling that she had seen the man before, but she couldn't remember where. “I didn't like his looks,” she had told Honey afterwards when the two girls were busy cutting out the lavender dress that her maid of honor was now slipping over her head. Fortunately the dress was deep lavender almost violet, It reminded Judy of a time when she had known Honey only as ‘the girl in lavender’ How long ago that seemed! “Sister,” Judy said squeezing Honey’s hand. “Oh darling! I am lucky. I've always wanted a sister. Somehow, that dress brings back so many memories.” “Memories of how good you were to me. You and Horace and everybody,” Honey said gratefully.

Roxy curled Roberta’s hair and was now buttoning her own dress of pale yellow. Sylvia was in green. Pauline wore deep blue. Judy said she could only find 6 colors so Lorraine and Judy decided that since they both liked blue, they would have 2 shades of blue. (Since there were 6 bridesmaids and 6 colors, they really didn't have to repeat one. This is my mistake since I later counted 7 when Sally came in late. I thought I read somewhere that Judy was having 6 bridesmaid’s. Did I imagine it or did it mean 6 bridesmaids and one maid of honor.) Scottie wore blue which was several shades lighter than Pauline’s dress. Selma wore orange. Sally Vincent wore red.

Lorraine called while the girls were dressing. She was very upset because it was getting cloudy out and she wanted everything to be perfect. Judy suggested that they could use the pavilion in the yard. Lorraine said that would not be proper. Her etiquette book said the groom never gives a wedding and the pavilion was on the Farringdon- Pett property. Judy had not read the book of etiquette that Lorraine referred to. Such a decree would never have bothered her, but she could understand Lorraine’s concern---Lorraine who had always been so correct. (Except once when Lorraine had tried to be like Judy - Judy thought that is when she discovered that she really liked her.) Lorraine was delicate, beautiful, proud and very much in love with Arthur. Judy suspected that she had loved him practically ever since she could remember. “Just as I have always loved Peter, only I didn't have sense enough to know it.” Judy told Lorraine “Why can't you forget the rules for once if the weather is bad? Who is going to know exactly where the line is anyway? There is no hedge or anything and I don't think your guests will trouble to look for the surveyor’ s marks. To them it will be the same wide lawn.” Lorraine agrees but says she wanted everything to be proper, Judy says she did too for Lorraine’s sake. Lorraine reminds her that it is their wedding, not just hers. Judy tells her that Rosalie has the chicken pox and Roberta is the new flower girl. Lorraine is upset because Roberta didn't rehearse, she suggests dropping both flower girls. She mentions that Kay Vincent said flower girls were as old fashioned as ring bearers and pages, especially if they scatter flowers. “Kay?” Judy asked apprehensively. Lorraine says that Kay Vincent is there and is going to take the place of one of her cousins in the wedding. Then she asks Judy if she minds. Of course she minded, Kay had always been awful to her and a lot of other people, she couldn't forget that if she lived to be a hundred. She managed to look at it from Lorraine’s point of view. Kay had been part of Lorraine’s select circle before she knew Judy. Judy asked if Kay was just visiting, not directly answering Lorraine. She was relieved to hear that she was. Reluctantly Judy said, “Kay is pretty and she will look lovely in the procession, but don't lets change any of our wedding plans, Lorraine. I mean about the flower girls. They are so picturesque, especially at a garden wedding.” Roberta’s dress is a little too tight and too short but Selma let it out and the girls explain to Roberta what the flower girls duties are. When Sally Vincent, Kay’s cousin came in, she said, “My goodness, everyone seems to be ready but the bride.” Judy was still in her lace trimmed white slip that she was going to wear under her wedding dress. She had just come back from taking a last minute shower. All her garments were new and fresh and faintly perfumed. She opened her closet and touched the dainty folds of the satin and net wedding dress that hung by itself on the door. It was like spider web, or perhaps the gauzy weave of a fairy wing. “I'm almost afraid to put it on.” she confessed. “I--I--” and suddenly, for no reason at all, Judy was in tears. “It’ s the excitement,” Honey whispered, motioning the other girls out of the room. “Go down and look at the wedding presents or something while I help her dress.” Roberta was after them like a small tornado. “Don't touch anything!” she begged.

I love all the detail of the girls getting ready for the wedding. Lindsay, I wondered if any of your older sisters were getting married at that time (1946). Everything seems so life like. I am amazed at Roberta again. She really only knows Judy and Pauline but she joins right in and is not afraid to go after the girls to make sure they don't touch the radio gift. I can't believe Lorraine would have wanted to eliminate the flower girls at the last minute. Birdella Dean was her flower girl and I am sure she would have been so disappointed to not be in the wedding. It looks like Judy wasn't taught the ROY G BIV name that we were taught in school to remember the colors of the spectrum. Did everyone learn that or was it a Catholic school thing?

message 2: by William (new)

William Land (williamland) | 968 comments Mod
I love the details in this summary. Regarding Faye's comment about remembering the colours of the rainbow, I didn't know about ROY G BIV.

I think it's wonderful that the reader is reminded of Honey's origins in the series when the colour of her dress (lavender) is related back to the colour of the dress that she was wearing when Judy and her friends met Honey. At that time, the unknown girl was known as "the girl in lavender."

Kay Vincent returns to the series. Understandably, much to Judy's dismay, Kay will be attending the wedding. In the books, it's very clear that the Bolton and Vincent girls will never be friends even though they have common chums. This is very realistic of life; sometimes two people in a group simply dislike each other.

Roberta simply embraces her role of protector when she admonishes the girls not to touch any of the wedding gifts. She is being so careful. There must be danger ahead!

message 3: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 474 comments I loved this chapter! We learned Roy G Biv, but I went to a Lutheran parochial school as Faye went to a Catholic one.
I thought it was funny that Judy thinks the one time Lorraine was not acting like herself was the one time she discovered she really liked her.
I liked that Lorraine called Judy and their conversation which demonstrated their differences but didn't descend into unpleasantness which it very well could have.
An element of suspense and drama is added by evil Kay Vincent's surprise presence. I don't remember the details, but if it was Sally's father who was cheated by Kay's father, shouldn't she have had veto power over Kay as well as Judy?
I thought it was realistic and touching that Judy burst into tears at the end. Margaret showing rather than telling Judy's emotions.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 763 comments William wrote: "I think it's wonderful that the reader is reminded of Honey's origins in the series when the colour of her dress (lavender) is related back to the colour of the dress that she was wearing when Judy and her friends met Honey. At that time, the unknown girl was known as "the girl in lavender.".."

I agree. A nice flashback.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 158 comments William wrote: "Chapter 3: Rainbow Dresses

The bridesmaids start arriving. Pauline and Sylvia are first, then Honey. While the girls are arriving, Horace tells Dr. & Mrs. Bolton Roberta’s story. The others heard ..."

I never heard that. It may have been a Catholic school thing or regional

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 158 comments William wrote: "I love the details in this summary. Regarding Faye's comment about remembering the colours of the rainbow, I didn't know about ROY G BIV.

I think it's wonderful that the reader is reminded of Hon..."

I love how Roxy, who is the oldest of several siblings, naturally takes over with Roberta

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 158 comments Rebekah wrote: "I loved this chapter! We learned Roy G Biv, but I went to a Lutheran parochial school as Faye went to a Catholic one.
I thought it was funny that Judy thinks the one time Lorraine was not acting l..."

I don't think Sally would have any say. And I think Lorraine knew full well Judy would not want Kay so she avoided telling her. besides, Lou got all his money and property back from Kay's father, so Sally would be the one with the upper hand

message 8: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 474 comments I didn’t remember how all that went down, Glad justice prevailed. All seems pretty awkward. Maybe Kay is a reformed character though?

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 158 comments The ending of Midnight Visitor, the trial where Ned Vincent was accused of forging Lou's will, then Lou showed up and proved Harry knew the truth all along.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 763 comments I always thought it was strange for Kay to suddenly appear in the wedding party. Even more confiusing is the beginning of Haunted Road when Peter makes the comment about Kay being in the wedding. I will have to find the exact wording.

message 11: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
ROY G BIV red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet
Judy mentions "two shades of blue." Yet violet is reddish-blue, indigo is deep violet-blue to dark grayish-blue, and lavender is a pale blue-purple. That would make three dresses with various shades of the blue unless the violet is considered as a red.

message 12: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments I always think of rainbow weddings as having pastels but bright red is not a pastel. But it is the 'R' in Roy G Biv.. The rainbow wedding I was in was pastels. I wore pink which would have been a version of red I suppose. I wish I remembered to get the picture of the wedding party from my sister in law.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 763 comments Faye wrote: "I always think of rainbow weddings as having pastels but bright red is not a pastel. But it is the 'R' in Roy G Biv.. The rainbow wedding I was in was pastels. I wore pink which would have been a v..."

I wore a pastel orange, but my sister did have a red in her rainbow wedding. I think green was also pastel.

message 14: by J. Michael (new)

J. Michael | 129 comments I love this chapter, and I think it's extremely well written. Margaret stages a reunion of sorts as the bridesmaids gather, and at the same time manages to capture all the pandemonium that so often precedes major events. I both cringe and laugh when Roberta asks if she can say "... left, right, left ..." to keep in step with the wedding march, and the girls (I imagine it as a chorus), reply in horror, "Good heavens, NO!" And then a few minutes later, Judy dissolves into tears for no particular reason, which seems like such a natural thing to do ... well, that's great writing.

The only thing that I never understood until I looked it up tonight is what role a "page" plays at a wedding. Lorraine says they're old-fashioned, and I suppose they really are, especially today. Originally they were the boys that carried the bride's train to keep it from touching the ground; apparently, these days their role is sometimes combined (or confused) with that of the ring bearer. Interesting!

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 474 comments I dont remember if the royal weddings had pages?