The History Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
This is a thread dedicated to the history, well known people and events associated with the great state of Hawaii.

You may add books that take place in this state, are about this state, have a scene that takes place in this state or have events where this state is mentioned.

There is no self promotion on the History Book Club.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

The Colony: The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai

The Colony The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai by John Tayman by John Tayman John Tayman

Synopsis:

In the bestselling tradition of In the Heart of the Sea, The Colony, “an impressively researched” (Rocky Mountain News) account of the history of America’s only leper colony located on the Hawaiian island of Molokai, is “an utterly engrossing look at a heartbreaking chapter” (Booklist) in American history and a moving tale of the extraordinary people who endured it.

Beginning in 1866 and continuing for over a century, more than eight thousand people suspected of having leprosy were forcibly exiled to the Hawaiian island of Molokai -- the longest and deadliest instance of medical segregation in American history. Torn from their homes and families, these men, women, and children were loaded into shipboard cattle stalls and abandoned in a lawless place where brutality held sway. Many did not have leprosy, and many who did were not contagious, yet all were ensnared in a shared nightmare.

Here, for the first time, John Tayman reveals the complete history of the Molokai settlement and its unforgettable inhabitants. It's an epic of ruthless manhunts, thrilling escapes, bizarre medical experiments, and tragic, irreversible error. Carefully researched and masterfully told, The Colony is a searing tale of individual bravery and extraordinary survival, and stands as a testament to the power of faith, compassion, and the human spirit.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Olivia: My Life in Kalaupapa

Olivia My Life of Exile in Kalaupapa by Olivia R. Breitha by Olivia R. Breitha (no photo)

Synopsis:

There was no goodreads synopsis of the book - this is a review that a reader (kitty) posted on Amazon:

Kitty posted - Excellent and touching story of one girl's experience, being exiled to, then living out her life in Kalaupapa, Molokai (Hawaii) since age 18, with other Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) patients like herself.

Olivia expresses her feelings very well in this book, and tells personal stories of the unbelievable treatment she and other patients experienced, along with the happy times and joy she felt. I loved this book and later visited Kalaupapa, Moloka`i to see where the Hansen's Disease patients lived, and where Olivia's story took place.

It's quite up beat, as the residents were comfortable and happy to live there in the latter years. Side note: Olivia lived to be 92 and passed away in Kalaupapa just a few years ago. Easy to read, and makes you feel like you are right there with Olivia. I highly recommend this book.

message 4: by Michele (last edited Oct 25, 2020 01:06PM) (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen Liliuokalani

Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen Liliuokalani by Liliuokalani by Liliuokalani Liliuokalani

Synopsis:

This new edition of Hawaii's Story is based on the 1898 edition, enhanced with additional illustrations, and annotated by David Forbes. This is the only autobiography written by a Hawaiian Monarch, and provides a glimpse of life in Honolulu during her lifetime.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Michele - all books added to any of the states or threads are most welcome.

Thalassophile_takemetotheocean (thalassophile-takemetotheocean) | 74 comments I read Honolulu, Moloka'i, and Daughters of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. The time period takes place about a century ago. They are probably my favorite Hawaii books.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 11, 2020 11:26AM) (new)

Thank you Rose - if you can add them like Michele did above or with proper citations then the powerful Goodreads software will add them to the thread's white space. I added the two that I could find on goodreads below.

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert Honolulu by Alan Brennert both by Alan Brennert Alan Brennert

message 8: by Lorna, Assisting Moderator (T) - SCOTUS - Civil Rights (new)

Lorna | 2191 comments Mod
Thank you for your comments, Rose. They sound like interesting books about the history of Hawaii. However, to be consistent with our guidelines regarding the citation of books, it should look like so:

Honolulu by Alan Brennert and Daughter of Moloka'i (Moloka'i, #2) by Alan Brennert by Alan Brennert Alan Brennert

Lorna,
Assisting Moderator (T) - Civil Rights and Supreme Court